Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Does FromSoftware actually FEAR Dragon's Dogma II?

Is the prophesy true?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Some might speculate that pushing Elden Ring's expansion all the way into June is a defensive maneuver, perhaps not one made out of fear but caution. It's been long fabled that one day, a lone warrior will emerge from the darkness and defeat the mighty FromSoftware. One cannot wear the crown forever. Could it be possible? Is Dragon's Dogma II the prophesied Soulsborne killer, or will FromSoftware continue to reign until the end of time?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I'd like to think DD2 will get the acclaim it deserved the first time around and push Fromsoft into being a bit more creative in the future... but I don't see it happening. first of all, Crapcom is a shitfest that will squander the chance even if DD2 does do amazingly well. We'll see some shitty DLC or mobile port sequel with danger hair characters or something instead of a competing franchise. Likewise, Fromsoft is now too big and fat to pivot away from churning out it's formula over and over again, as shown by the fact that even something like an AC game that should have been radiacally different, basically played like a fucking souls game with regenerating stamina, estus flasks, camera lock and a dodge roll and poise system. And people fucking loved it so they're never going to leave any of that shit behind. They could put out a fucking racing game or RTS and it'd have estus flasks and camera lock controls somehow.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I'd like to think DD2 will get the acclaim it deserved the first time around and push Fromsoft into being a bit more creative in the future... but I don't see it happening. first of all, Crapcom is a shitfest that will squander the chance even if DD2 does do amazingly well. We'll see some shitty DLC or mobile port sequel with danger hair characters or something instead of a competing franchise.
Isn't that up to Itsuno though? He's the only OG top dog at Capcom left that can basically do whatever he wants. The game will be a success, and I don't see him allowing Capcom to shit on his baby.

Damned Registrations

Itsuno didn't even want to do DD2, he wants to do Power Stone 2. This game was clearly part of the deal to let him pursue that. DD is going to get handed off to some interns in the future and Itsuno is going to retire after Power Stone 2 releases and nobody gives a shit because it's a quirky obscure fighting game whose primary appeal was being 3D before that was common.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Itsuno didn't even want to do DD2
Citation needed. DD is his baby. I can't imagine he would take on a project as huge as DD2 simply for some leverage to make an obscure piece of crap fighting game that nobody cares about. That doesn't make any sense.

That's like James Cameron directing Titanic so movie studios give him a shot at realizing his true vision of Piranha 2.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I think he's trolling. I don't understand the rumors about Itsuno; "he's only making DMC5 so he can make DD2".. he's done multiple interviews saying it's been his choice what he works on in recent years. If you believe Reuben Langdon, he floated the idea of resigning to Capcom a decade ago and they "saw how valuable he is to keep around and happy". Not to mention there already is a Power Stone 2, and his mentions of PS3 I've seen are only in relation to it's 20th anniversary basically saying "yeah it'd be cool to make another, sure". I think a Rival Schools revival would be a higher priority for him, he's been talking about it for 10 years.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Rival Schools revival would be a higher priority for him, he's been talking about it for 10 years.
That's the one I meant. I don't keep track of fighting games much tbh. But yeah, he's been bringing that up in interviews forever, but DD basically came out of nowhere aside from super vague references that he's working on 'something.' Doesn't strike me as a project he's actually super hyped about.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
The story I heard was he made DMC5 to open the door for DD2. DMC was Kamiya's creation and maybe partially Mikami's. Itsuno just iterated on it. Itsuno invented DD. I'd figure his heart would be most invested in DD2.

notpl

Arbiter
The games have barely anything in common and Dragon's Dogma is also a fairly niche cult classic. You might as well ask if Unicorn Overlord is going to overthrow fromsoft.

Ryzer

Arcane
They release the same game for almost 20 years and it sells a lot each time. Of course they don't.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
The games have barely anything in common and Dragon's Dogma is also a fairly niche cult classic.
So was Dark Soulz and now everybody is copying it. And there are similarities. People have been comparing them for years. And I'm willing to bet DD isn't going to be quite so niche in 21 days. For better or worse. The game has surprise hit written all over it.

notpl

Arbiter
The games have barely anything in common and Dragon's Dogma is also a fairly niche cult classic.
So was Dark Soulz and now everybody is copying it. And there are similarities. People have been comparing them for years. And I'm willing to bet DD isn't going to be quite so niche in 21 days. For better or worse. The game has surprise hit written all over it.
Dragon's Dogma is never going to be a franchise that everyone who's ever touched a video game has tried and even non-gamers are familiar with by name. The sequel is probably going to do about as well as its predecessor, which is appropriate since it appears to be the exact same game.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Dragon's Dogma is never going to be a franchise that everyone who's ever touched a video game has tried and even non-gamers are familiar with by name. The sequel is probably going to do about as well as its predecessor, which is appropriate since it appears to be the exact same game.
Saving this post for posterity purposes. Can't wait for March 22nd!

Tyrr

Liturgist
I just asked Kojima. He said the DLC was pushed back so he and the team has time to play DD2 on release.

scytheavatar

Scholar
The story I heard was he made DMC5 to open the door for DD2. DMC was Kamiya's creation and maybe partially Mikami's. Itsuno just iterated on it. Itsuno invented DD. I'd figure his heart would be most invested in DD2.

He was prepared to leave Capcom, but then Capcom executives asked him what it would take for him to stay. He then pitched DMC V and said he would stay if he gets to make it. I doubt he would have insisted on DMC V if it wasn't a game he dreamt of making.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I wish
But like others have said DD is too much of a niche title
I hope it has tremendous success
But I doubt the game would affect From even if it somehow had BG3 levels of success
From's audience are perfectly content with their current game design inclinations and as ER (and more recently AC6) prove, so far that's been a recipe for success
I think ultimately the only thing that could shake From is if they grow as stagnant as Betheseda, likewise leading to a big loss of interest in their ouput

Itsuno didn't even want to do DD2
Doesn't strike me as a project he's actually super hyped about.
You need to get your facts straight
Dragon's Dogma is a project that by the man's own admission has been brewing in his mind since as far back as 2000
Like other posters have said already, Itsuno threatened Capcom with resignation
What you should know is, that threat was a consequence of the DD1 troubled development due to executive concerns - stemming from the fact it was the first open-world game Capcom made, as well as being a hardcore action RPG which weren't as popular as nowadays - which further aggravated by the fact that Itsuno only got approval for DD1 because he had already significantly scaled down the project's pitch
After this, he gets carte blanche to pursue whatever projects he wants and he was very much in a pickle as wether to do DMC5 or DD2 first

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Soulsborne games were niche before Elden Ring. It takes the retards a moment to wake up and realize what's good. Now that the vidya gayme industry is in shambles and everything is shit, the great titles like DS and DD stand out a lot more and become more enticing, thanks in large part to word of mouth. BG3 blew up (which I obviously don't care for). That never would have been possible if the industry isn't in the state it is now. This is DD's moment. Nobody would have given a fuck about BG3 if it released just a few years ago.

notpl

Arbiter
Soulsborne games were niche before Elden Ring. It takes the retards a moment to wake up and realize what's good. Now that the vidya gayme industry is in shambles and everything is shit, the great titles like DS and DD stand out a lot more and become more enticing, thanks in large part to word of mouth. BG3 blew up (which I obviously don't care for). That never would have been possible if the industry isn't in the state it is now. This is DD's moment. Nobody would have given a fuck about BG3 if it released just a few years ago.
I have no idea where you're getting this. Demon's Souls was somewhat niche, but Dark Souls was an instant household name in the states and has remained so.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I have no idea where you're getting this. Demon's Souls was somewhat niche, but Dark Souls was an instant household name in the states and has remained so.
The fuck it was. Elder Scrolls was a household name. Call of Doody was a household name. Back then if you asked any random swingin dick on the street what a Dark Souls is they would have just stared at you blankly as if you were some nutjob.

Dr1f7

Scholar
yeah they do. i was in the board room when DD2 was announced and personally saw miyazookie $!*&% his pants

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
But first we must ask, how does one rest on a thrown?
Like so:
old-man-conan.jpg

yeah they do. i was in the board room when DD2 was announced and personally saw miyazookie $!*&% his pants
You jest but I think after DD2 sells 20 something million copies FromSoft will be forced to spice up their formula a bit, which be welcome. Even I, the biggest FromSoft fan of all-time is starting to feel the formula grow stale.

Shinji

Savant
Is Dragon's Dogma II the prophesied Soulsborne killer, or will FromSoftware continue to reign until the end of time?
I believe Dragon's Dogma is a more ambitious franchise in comparison and it requires more time to develop it (similar to projects such as Elder Scrolls and The Witcher)

In the last decade, From Software has managed to release multiple Souls games in a relatively short span of time, and that is fundamental in building engagement with fans.
I wouldn't expect a Dragon's Dogma 3 anytime soon -- probably around 2030 or so.

I agree that From Software needs some competition. I enjoyed Elden Ring, but its combat got somewhat stale with time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom