Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Does exist a fantasy game X-com style?

ColCol

Arcane
Just.....Battle Brothers.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I am working on one actually (see in my sig), but there is quite a lot of work left to do. One of the challenges with the formula is that the tactical battles play very differently with swords : you cannot have the same tension you had when one of your soldiers advanced past a corner, hoping he would not eat reaction fire from an alien. Overwatching with magic would not work :)
I pitched my prototype today to a game business incubator, and the referent didn't see much potential of the formula (it came down to other games already do that/ if no one else has been doing it, it probably won't work).

Wasn't Dragon Age somewhat tactical before they butchered the sequel and turned them into some kind of ARPG?

zeitgeist

Magister
Ogre Battle has both, in a sense (the world map part is rather simplistic).

I'm sure more modern sRPGs have something similar, but they probably have unappealing anime visuals.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Oh, man, Ogre Battle. I remember playing that game about 20 years ago on SNES. It came with a cool chart that had all the unit upgrades. It looks like the next video in that playlist is the one that shows the squad-building.

The game isn't super complex, but there are many hidden things to find like towns, items, and even allies. If you like the game, it'll definitely keep you busy for a while.

A similar game to Ogre Battle is "Soul Nomad and the World Eaters" for PS2.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So, excluding non pc games or old games we only got Battle Brothers but it's still in development.

This means that actually it doesn't exist anything in market :-(

Edit: Forgot Massive Chalice suggested by Jimmious, but onestly i really dislike the art direction and visuals

Funny how that works. If you ask for something really specific, then reject what you're given because you don't like the graphics, there aren't a lot of choices left.

Mazisky

Magister
So, excluding non pc games or old games we only got Battle Brothers but it's still in development.

This means that actually it doesn't exist anything in market :-(

Edit: Forgot Massive Chalice suggested by Jimmious, but onestly i really dislike the art direction and visuals

Funny how that works. If you ask for something really specific, then reject what you're given because you don't like the graphics, there aren't a lot of choices left.

Well considering we have X-com, that is a triple A 2016 game, i guessed i could hope for something that's not too old or cheap

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Mount & Blade might be an old game by itself, but teh modders never stop working - just pick one of the top global overhaul mods (stuff like Brytenwalda, Prophecy of Pendor, etc.) and go for it. It has a strategical overview and tactical (although real time) combat.

And yeah, Eador is a gud suggestion too. BB is a great game by itself, but I don't see anything similiar to X-Com. At all. Global map is just used for travelling from point A to point B, nothing else.

Severian Silk

I am working on one actually (see in my sig), but there is quite a lot of work left to do. One of the challenges with the formula is that the tactical battles play very differently with swords : you cannot have the same tension you had when one of your soldiers advanced past a corner, hoping he would not eat reaction fire from an alien. Overwatching with magic would not work :)
I pitched my prototype today to a game business incubator, and the referent didn't see much potential of the formula (it came down to other games already do that/ if no one else has been doing it, it probably won't work).

Aren't you worried that your customers will associate you with the Codex? This site is pretty disgusting, after all.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
store.steampowered.com/app/409910/
There's this, though Early Access and currently lacking much of a strategic layer.

Mazisky

Magister

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Aren't you worried that your customers will associate you with the Codex? This site is pretty disgusting, after all.
That had crossed my mind before, but then, my problem currently would be to get any exposure at all, so I'm pretty sure coming from the most nefarious game community is a plus in my situation.

store.steampowered.com/app/409910/
There's this, though Early Access and currently lacking much of a strategic layer.
Are you really allowed to namedrop IP you have no licence to in the official steam description of a game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom