Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Does Dead Space 2 get any better?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I'm currently on Chapter 6, and I haven't been able to really get into it. I enjoyed the first game, but this one just seems like "more of the same, but less engaging," if that makes sense. Can't put my finger on it but I'm not really enjoying this one that much.

I'm already overdue on my rental and thinking of just turning it in. I need Guidance.

Also, if you exchange weapons do you get the nodes back that you spent on the first one? Because I'd like to try new ones but not if I lose my spent nodes.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I think you lose your nodes. To the first question, no it doesn't get any better.

It just stays on the same level, the more you play the more bored you feel.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
But are the controls improved?

I remember playing the first one, I had to move my mouse to the other side of the desk to turn around...

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
@Excidium: it's a known bug, something to do with setting proper VSYNC settings in Nvidia/ATI control panel. I believe VSYNC should be forced in-game and forced OFF in the driver, to get the proper result.

Or the other way around.

Same exact problem happened with Dark Void, which used the same engine/iteration.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
shihonage said:
@Excidium: it's a known bug, something to do with setting proper VSYNC settings in Nvidia/ATI control panel. I believe VSYNC should be forced in-game and forced OFF in the driver, to get the proper result.

Or the other way around.

It's the other way around: the vsync implementation in DS is b0rked and enabling it at the driver level or with another tool will fix mouse issues, and even more so if you can force triple buffering as well. Or you can play with a pad.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I messed with V-sync with riva turner (for some reason, I don't remember. Maybe forcing v-sync on the nvidia panel wasn't working) but even then mouse sensibility was pretty bad.

I recall people saying it was intended to make the game more terrifying.:lol:

But anyway, I got bored halfway through, chapter 6 I think. The aliens lose their novelty pretty fast.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The game doesn't get any better, it's more of an action shooter where the first one took some time in its pacing to build atmosphere. There's a part near the end that tries to be scary like the first game but because of how the game's conditioned you to play it throughout, it's more annoying than anything. Return it, you're not missing anything.

anus_pounder

Arcane
The best thing that came out of the two DS games are the death compilations. Not to say they' are utter shit, I had fun for the first few hours.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Dicksmoker said:
I enjoyed the first game, but this one just seems like "more of the same, but less engaging," if that makes sense. Can't put my finger on it but I'm not really enjoying this one that much.
Exactly what I felt about it, except I did put my finger on it: more linear, less atmospheric, more gimmicky, more minigames, nerfed weapons... It's an archetype for "streamlined sequel".

To answer your question: no, it's the same all the way to the end. If you're bored already, just return it.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The first Dead Space isn't much better than Dead Space 2 as far as its linearity goes, and it has the problem of reusing lots of its environments with only minor differences as well. From what I understand Dead Space 2 is even more of a straightforward shooter and doesn't have as much of the puzzle-solving of the first either, but I haven't tried it out.

Speaking of, how are the controls in Dead Space 2 on PC? Is there still mouse lag and acceleration present? Is the field of view still sickeningly low? Those two things really put me off of the first game and cut into my enjoyment of it like a knife - otherwise it was a pretty good but ultimately kind of bland action-horror romp. I'm interested in the sequel but not enough to bother unless those two issues have been addressed.

Dezzy

Novice
It's an atmosphere game, if you aren't playing in the dark with a huge tv and surround sound, you're doing it wrong.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
sea said:
The first Dead Space isn't much better than Dead Space 2 as far as its linearity goes
True, but at least DS1 tried to give the illusion it wasn't completely railroaded. You can walk into the "hub" of a chapter and have 3 or 4 unlocked doors. Naturally you have to go through each section in order most of the time, but if you don't use the magic quest compass you at least have to look to figure out where you're supposed to go next, and in a handful of locations you get no visual cues, so you can "explore" to see where you need to go next. Now, notice I said "most of the time"? that's because a couple of segments do give you multiple objectives that you can complete in any order. It's nothing earth-shattering, but it's a hell of a lot better than any other modern shooter; they're not just railroaded, they're exactly like playing one of the old arcade rail shooters, except with a "stop" function. Unfortunately, so's DS2.

and it has the problem of reusing lots of its environments with only minor differences as well.
Never bothered me. The graphics do get reused, but then again I grew up on 80's graphics. As for copy-pasta of the environments themselves, didn't notice it. If it's there, it's not as onerous as Quake 4.

From what I understand Dead Space 2 is even more of a straightforward shooter and doesn't have as much of the puzzle-solving of the first either
Pretty much. Instead of only a couple of instances of multi-objectives you get absolutely none, instead of hub with many doors that have to be done in order you get no branching at all, this one does reuse some environments (sometimes makes sense gameworld-wise, but still feels cheap). And puzzle-solving is replaced with minigames.

Speaking of, how are the controls in Dead Space 2 on PC? Is there still mouse lag and acceleration present? Is the field of view still sickeningly low?
Terrible, yes, and yes, in that order. And if you thought DS1 was bland, stay the fuck away from the sequel. I liked DS1 yet thought DS2 was terribly bland.

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
Dicksmoker said:
I'm currently on Chapter 6, and I haven't been able to really get into it. I enjoyed the first game, but this one just seems like "more of the same, but less engaging," if that makes sense. Can't put my finger on it but I'm not really enjoying this one that much.
I know what you mean. I don't remember whether it was before, or after chapter 6, but the game got slightly more enjoyable after meeting that Diana woman. Then, you stopped following someone's orders, and your actions made more of the sense. But it was still a rollercoaster shooter, with swarms of weak enemies attritioning you away with their sheer numbers, and no bosses to speak of. That tri-legged thing in chapter 2 may be the most memorable fight in the entire game, not that it was a great fight in itself.

I prefer DS1 too. DS2 is way too dark most of the time, it doesn't have any boss fights and Isaac talks. I prefer him silent, especially with that horrible script. That last fight was utter shit as well. Decent for one playthrough and very forgettable after that. DS2 might be better for people who had control problems in DS1, I haven't, maybe because my mouse is so sensitive.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Hang in there, bro, it will get really good on your seventh playthrough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom