Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you really feel that way about us, Mr. Urquhart?

joeydohn

Savant
Why not a prequel? :troll:

Micmu

Magister
I think those Neverwinter guys would be the best choice for the new Torment! Having experience with D&D and all that. :troll:

Seriously, if those guys got their license, then there's a still a chance that someone out of the blue utterly rapes Torment, too. After all, the industry is badly running out of IPs/titles.

A couple of years ago I was convinced, that out of all good old games, more niche titles like Torment won't get a share of console rape. Well, I'm not sure about that now!!

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
those Neverwinter guys

*footage of the nameless one killing baatezu and tanar'ri with the blades of torment with cutscenes of Asmodeus taunting him with a mind controlled dark side Fall from Grace holding his arm*

level up your tattoos with the blood of the dark lords

This is truly a Planescape game

at the end of the trailer a brief scene is shown with the nameless one activating his fury of the planes ability which turns him into the Transcendant One

several cutscenes suggesting group tiefling sex

Stabwound

Arcane
I would rather a spiritual successor rather than another game in the actual series or setting. That would give it at least a chance of not being a disappointment.

Shadenuat

Arcane
There can be no Torment 2, but Planescape/Sigil of 2d edition is an amazing setting full of detail and already written modules, and there is no reason not to use it for new game-..

..wait, even if somebody uses old edition of Planescape with circle Multiverse and everything, do they still need to pay Wizards of the Coast?
Uhh forget it then

Mask of Betrayer was your last planewalking game M:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"elieving that we are some kind of an obsessive, nitpicky, demanding bunch is strange. Most of us have the good sense to not to take games THAT seriously."

What Codex do you read since it certainly isn't the one I read.

A PST2 sequel is VERY possible unless you lack fukkin' imagination which be laughable consideirng the genre is all about imagination. FFS

waywardOne

Arcane
I translated that as him respecting the original and its fans. Or admitting that the talent to make that sequel isn't possible anymore.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Feargus Urquhart said:
It would have to be done right, otherwise the fans of the original will be pissed off...

That didn't stop him from fucking up Fallout twice.
That's exactly it.

Most people do not make a big deal about the fact that Fallout 2 and F:NV exist. Even if some of us dislike Fallout 2 or New Vegas, it does not change the original Fallout. So there was no downside risk to making those games. But the upside gain - the possibility of another game as great as Fallout - was there. So of course Fallout sequels should have been made.

Same way, the worst thing that could happen due to a new Torment installment being bad is just that it would be bad. Nothing more, nothing less. So why not go for it, since the upside gain is a new Torment?

Rpgsaurus Rex

The key to what made PS:T a classic was high quality story content (incl. NPC and party interaction), music and a some lesser extent design (places like the Alley, or Fortress of Regrets)...

To make a new, worthy PS:T would need the developer to capitalize on those things that make us loved the original. Otherwise, why even bother making a "PS:T sequel" - just go work on DA3 or whatever. It's not even that known of a franchise to bother with (in fact it's very fringe), compared to something like Fallout - a name a lot of gamers were familiar even before FO3.

But who would buy that "storyfag" game? PS:T wasn't a big commercial success, was it? There will always be more money in popcorn stuff like DA. I don't really blame big studios - making games is a risky business, a lot of sunk costs and high risk - unless you're building on a known name.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"a name a lot of gamers were familiar even before FO3."

Nah.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom