Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do elitist gamers have fun?

Black

Arcane
That's okay, you probably think of Diablo as an RPG.

KKKthulhu.

Educated
I don't think it's fun to drool all over yourself while mashing buttons, so I'm going to say that elitist gamers do have fun.

Data4

Arcane
TwinkieGorilla said:
Data4 said:
Just thought I'd add that I watch Paris Hilton comedies because despite all the negativity around her, I still wanna see her puss and wouldn't mind a notch-in-the-belt fuck with her.

son-of-a-whore. you stole the only comment worth making in this thread.

Nonsense! I practically shed a tear while reading Janjetina's post, and that's the God's honest truth.

Mackerel

Augur
How exactly is the elitist moniker being applied here? I'm confused because I think most people are actually talking about discernment and the difference in appetite between those who have played many games of a particular genre and those who haven't. There's nothing wrong with your tastes becoming more refined as you get older.

I think a lot of the anger and criticism comes from there not being a product that has the depth that our experienced palates desire or even the qualities of those games that initially whetted our appetite for more depth. I imagine/hope though as time goes on and the "casuals" start to develop a taste for more complex fare, then we will see some game designers step up to the challenge and meet the need. I really don't think everyone here would care what other people are playing if there were groups out there that would actually cater to our desires.

Also, do blonde elitist gamers have more fun?

KKKthulhu.

Educated
Tastes becoming more refined as you get older is what passes for elitist these days, as well as learning from your mistakes and poorly placed trust. If you learn nothing from the cradle to the grave except how to wipe your own ass then you're a pretty cool guy and part of the target market.

Data4

Arcane
I think it all boils down to whether or not someone considers something intellectually stimulating as entertainment. Those who do are likely more intelligent than those who don't. That's not to say that people who like mindless button mashers or games on rails are stupid, but those who are more discerning prefer their button masher to be button mashers and their RPGs to be RPGs (as has already been stated here).

Do standards run parallel with intelligence levels? Depends on how you look at it. A student of exceptional abilities needs something that is more of a challenge to stimulate his intellect than a student in a special needs program. If you put a SPED kid in a gifted class, he'd be completely lost. If you put a gifted kid in a SPED class, he'd be completely bored.

I guess I'm a SPED kid, because I think I lost my train of thought. It made a whole lot more sense to me as I was thinking about it, though. Take from this what you will. I've got my 4:45 drooling session, followed by my 5 o'clock nap coming up.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
I'm a pretty elitist gamer, I pretty much only like turn based tactics and turn based tactical rpgs

(and some other genres in multiplayer but that's a different story)

And I only like the good ones in those genres, I don't automatically like a game just because it's in those genres

As a result, my single player gaming experience is pretty miserable, I can rarely find a game to play, and pretty much just play multiplayer games now except in the rare cases I find something I haven't played before in turn based tactics

Gaming elitism really hurts my gaming experience; if I liked Diablo Clones I'd get to play a lot more games.

But I can't change what I like, and to me, playing Diablo is just mindless and boring, I'd rather read something.

At least turn based tactics and competative multiplayer you're using your brain.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
LOLOLOLO FAGS GO PLAY HALO IF YOU WANT TO HAVE FUN I AM PLAYING SMARTER GAMES I AM SMARTER THAN YOU BUTTHURT LOLOLOOLOL!!!!!111

Double Ogre

Scholar
Indeed. Most people are just too mentally-handicapped to appreciate the genius of such amazing games as Fallout and Arcanum. It is obvious that their heads would implode at attempt to comprehend the complexity of these masterpieces. We, elitist gamers, are truly the Chosen Ones in this grim era. We devote ourselves to replaying the most refined games, in attempt to preserve the true meaning of gaming, and as holy martyrs we're fighting a grave battle against the forces of evil corporations.

Too much is at stake to turn back now.

There was a link to a University Professor (I believe it was here at some time), teaching some game related topic to his students. Part of this course included playing the Fallout series, in order.

If I remember correctly, the majority of the students looked askance at F1+2 and couldn't wait to finally get to F3, so many of them played F1+2 for a few moments before casting them aside.

The Prof learned of this, and insisted that they play these games through as it was part of the course and would be needed to pass exams. The students buckled down and, after getting into the game, as a whole found it a brilliant experience and couldn't stop ranting about the game. The same occurred with F2. After playing F3, many of them declared that the game was not a good Fallout sequel (no shit) and that many actually preferred the originals.

What originally turned them off F1? The graphics, the pacing, the turn based combat. The usual crap that attention deficit disorder people have with these kinds of things. After being forced to do it, they discovered just how good this can be, and ultimately loved the experience.

I tried looking for the link, but only came up with this amusing piece;
http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Profes ... 7508.phtml

Pegultagol

Erudite
Games like Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines and Arcanum still sell, I believe. Planescape: Torment probably commands some high prices on auction sites. They are still being supported and enjoyed by multitude of people, not to mention find new audiences all over the world. As long as the niche markets do not only conduct business in removal from bandwidth inventory. I don't think gamers are simple minded and addled so much they have not been exposed to the kind of gaming styles that were prevalent when the heyday of PC RPGs. They were introduced to a different style of more streamlined gaming and simply got used to it.

KKKthulhu.

Educated
OgreOgre said:
Indeed. Most people are just too mentally-handicapped to appreciate the genius of such amazing games as Fallout and Arcanum. It is obvious that their heads would implode at attempt to comprehend the complexity of these masterpieces. We, elitist gamers, are truly the Chosen Ones in this grim era. We devote ourselves to replaying the most refined games, in attempt to preserve the true meaning of gaming, and as holy martyrs we're fighting a grave battle against the forces of evil corporations.

I am so confused here.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
KKKthulhu. said:
OgreOgre said:

I am so confused here.

This is not a time for inaction, step forward or good gaming be lost to us forever

Mackerel

Augur
Who really wants another Fallout, Arcanum, Planescape, or whatever your game of choice is? I want to see a RPG that puts all the classics to shame.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
With all buzzwords being stolen from the Codex and stickied onto some unrelated crap you would think that developers do that just to piss in our jar.
What rock have some of you guys been living under the past few years? Developers have been using c&c to hype their shitty games for years now, it's not some recent marketing term "stolen" from the Codex. Fable 1, which was released back in 2004 but was announced back in 2002 (or it may have been earlier) hyped c&c to the fucking moon. It's nothing new.

spacemoose

Erudite
OgreOgre said:
125466o.gif

1eyedking

Erudite
MetalCraze said:
Oh really?
Let's see:
Give weapons to elves - <s>get quest giver at the inn killed and get the exactly same quest from another NPC not far away too which you are so conveniently directed.</s> Coleman dies and you lose access to fisstech which can be a pain, you lose on a whole quest, you can't prove Vincent's innocence until later, you miss on a quest outcome.
Don't give weapons to elves - <s>the quest giver at the inn gives you the exactly same quest.</s> The opposite to that above.

Stick with the order - <s>fight elves in the exactly same places.</s> Get different armors, weapons, sex cards, dialogues, quests, allies, etc.
Stick with elves - <s>fight the order in the places mentioned above.</s> Read above.

Pick Triss - <s>get Triss to appear to you in the Ice Age level instead of Shani.</s> Get to know the witch some more, you get witchery help.
Pick Shani - <s>get Shani to appear to you in the Ice Age level instead of Triss.</s> Get to know the medic some more, you get medical help. What the fuck do you expect, goddamit? Some kind of huge-ass changing repercussion? Get real.
Some more...

Pick Frightener - get an early red meteorite which coupled with another two you can get in the first act nets you one mean meteorite sword that helps a lot during the first two acts.
Pick Triss - get not to fight the goddamned mutated dogs that sometimes give you Pain and stun you during your fights against the Salamandra. Throughout the whole game.

Kill werewolf - get a nifty Mutagen. Carmen hates you.
Spare werewolf - get a nifty, useful ally. You feel satisfied for having helped another human being - kinda like helping Farrel out in Modoc, no consequence beyond that.

Kill Striga - easy way out, you get the quest "done".
Cure Striga - cooler reward, Veregard and Foltest thank you greatly. You get extra dialogue with the princess.

If that isn't C&C, I don't know.
MetalCraze said:
Secondary quests didn't have any consequences at all.
Kinda like some I mentioned, I guess?

MetalCraze said:
And basically TW had like only 5 "choices" encounters like this. To whom you give Alvin and how you will handle Alvin in the later chapters don't mean a shit.
Oh but you get those cool videos telling you that we are better than Bioware.
There are more than "5" choices, skyway. Some might be of the "we swap sprite A for sprite B" consequence kind but this happens in lots of games often and even though weak, can be considered one. Then again, most of them are not like that.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Do casual gamers have fun? I mean, really, do they have fun? I know they keep saying that they have fun because they just accept the game at face value and play it regardless if it's shitty or not, but deep down, are they really having fun? Or are they just lying to themselves?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Considering their case seems to be based on "Stop liking what you like and like the new shit instead because... because... well BECAUSE!!!!", I'd put my money on "no, it's all pretending".

Sad, really.

1eyedking

Erudite
The worst part is that they actually have a blast playing all that shit.

There's nothing left for us except a sad existence, really.

denizsi

Arcane
Kaiserin said:
denizsi said:
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
Just being an elitist is <s>fun</s> entertaining.

Fixed.

1eyedking said:
The worst part is that they actually have a blast playing all that shit.

Almost poetic. Pretty sig-worthy with some adjustments. Something like:

With people actually having a blast playing all that modern shit,

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom