Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Pre-Release Thread

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Don't let haters pullt you down, it was wonderful and everything I expected from this game! :)
I'm not hating I was just hoping for something truly crazy. Don't misunderstand me - it's pretty good, it's just not some crazy mondblutian exploit that I've been expecting.

yaster

Liturgist
Hmm, how does these "flee" mechanics work exactly? Any repercussions? Or is it still WIP?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Don't let haters pullt you down, it was wonderful and everything I expected from this game! :)
I'm not hating I was just hoping for something truly crazy. Don't misunderstand me - it's pretty good, it's just not some crazy mondblutian exploit that I've been expecting.
I'm sure sooner or later we'll get one insane youtube video of each player kiting a different "boss" or faction, crossing them and fleeing to watch the game beat itself. :lol:

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
Hmm, how does these "flee" mechanics work exactly? Any repercussions? Or is it still WIP?

WIP. Atm you just click the button and you're teleported to "your latest safe haven". A bit too easy :)

Captain Shrek

WIP. Atm you just click the button and you're teleported to "your latest safe haven". A bit too easy :)
How is the AI fleeing behavior determined? This may be a bit important in a TB game. In RT they can't escape due the physical limitations of the map. But in TB enemies that run away for little reason can be (has BEEN) annoying especially if they can "escape".

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
But they are still are present on the map, so it isn't like a Final Fantasy behemot vanishing in thin air... probably you could flee with one of the characters and give pursuit.

Captain Shrek

But they are still are present on the map, so it isn't like a Final Fantasy behemot vanishing in thin air... probably you could flee with one of the characters and give pursuit.
In a TB mode?????

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
In a TB mode?????
They already showed that one player can be in combat and the other freely explore the world in RT.

BTW, ForkTong, this creates a doubt... do pkayers have very short time limit for their turns? Because you could make one player enter TB combat, "hold" the enemy by not ending his turn and the other one would be free to do anything while the enemies are frozen...

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
In a TB mode?????
They already showed that one player can be in combat and the other freely explore the world in RT.

BTW, ForkTong, this creates a doubt... do pkayers have very short time limit for their turns? Because you could make one player enter TB combat, "hold" the enemy by not ending his turn and the other one would be free to do anything while the enemies are frozen...
Very good question... I guess a time limit on each turn would be a good idea.

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
AI doesn't flee yet. The player's flee button is stub.

The current idea, that still needs to be tested: when you click the flee button, the game shows you a trigger that you have to reach. If you reach it, you successfully flee to the latest safe point you defined.
The AI would use the same: when they decide to flee, they'll have to reach a spot, and they'll be gone from the game (lost XP).
AI will only flee if they're dumb grunts, small cannon fodder that panics when they're outnumbered and their "chief" is dead for instance. Depends on their script. (Not all dumb grunts panic. Orcs smash.)

This works on paper, still have to see it in game (and break it).

When you are in TB and I am not, yes, you can hold on to your first turn until I arrive to come and help you.

When someone joins you in MP, you can set timeouts for their TB turns (and set it to "none").

Captain Shrek

The current idea, that still needs to be tested: when you click the flee button, the game shows you a trigger that you have to reach. If you reach it, you successfully flee to the latest safe point you defined.
The AI would use the same: when they decide to flee, they'll have to reach a spot, and they'll be gone from the game (lost XP).
AI will only flee if they're dumb grunts, small cannon fodder that panics when they're outnumbered and their "chief" is dead for instance. Depends on their script. (Not all dumb grunts panic. Orcs smash.)

This is good. It worked for Betryal at Antara. There the real issue or The problem is WHEN does the enemy decide to flee. What determines the behavior.

As a reminder, that game suffered from too many enemies who would run away thus denying loot.

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
The combat area in Gold Box games was limited, had borders, and didn't involve possible other monsters in the room next door, even if that room was on your combat map. You had to reach the border and roll to flee. I think LS-DOS is different :)

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
There the real issue or The problem is WHEN does the enemy decide to flee. What determines the behavior

I wouldn't make this stat-based or systemic. I'd say it's their AI script. I would only make NPCs flee if it fits their "character". But you make a good point. It can be annoying. I'd rather have them panic or try to "retreat" to a safe spot in the combat area, than flee. On the other hand, lowly grunts don't carry much loot anyway.

yaster

Liturgist
When you are in TB and I am not, yes, you can hold on to your first turn until I arrive to come and help you.

I think that's ok, even if that means that other player can cross the whole map to get to you while you are still in the 1st turn. The problem I see is when the out-of-combat player tries to cast some buff spells or cast fireball. Thought it could be easily fixed by instant enter combat mode when you want to do any action capable of changing the encounter while the other player is engaged.

Captain Shrek

ForkTong

I recently played the 4E version of Ravenloft with some friends. The Board game has AI behavior for every monster. We (all of us physicists doing simulations) created a RETREAT behavior for them which was only scripted for Strahd or his Lieutenant (I think).

The behavior was based on simulating all the possible circumstances in the game (there were sufficiently few) and determining the best one, which ALMOST always managed to allow Strahd to escape successfully without cheating (what he does in the game). I think you could try something similar (since this is also done in Chess) and allow each Char to simulate the TB moves into future and create a well defined situation where he thinks that it is a time to run (e.g. percentage of winning moves dropping to zero). Now comes the real STAT based part.

Link how many moves he can simulate into the future to INT.

Nifty.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
1. Not at the moment, but it's not hard to do. Seems weird though. Who'd want to play an isometric party game with WASD?

Well- to be honest, I would! And I'm sure some other people would, too.
I put 65 smackaroos on the project, and if it won't be too much trouble, I'd REALLY appreciate if you put it in.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
1. Not at the moment, but it's not hard to do. Seems weird though. Who'd want to play an isometric party game with WASD?

Well- to be honest, I would! And I'm sure some other people would, too.
I put 65 smackaroos on the project, and if it won't be too much trouble, I'd REALLY appreciate if you put it in.

Can you explain why you want this feature, instead of using a mouse? I saw some people at the Kickstarter asking for it, but I am still ???

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
I think that's ok, even if that means that other player can cross the whole map to get to you while you are still in the 1st turn. The problem I see is when the out-of-combat player tries to cast some buff spells or cast fireball. Thought it could be easily fixed by instant enter combat mode when you want to do any action capable of changing the encounter while the other player is engaged.

As soon as you cast a spell on someone in combat (friend or foe), even from a distance while you're still in RT, you indeed instantly join combat

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin

When someone joins you in MP, you can set timeouts for their TB turns (and set it to "none").
Well i hope that there is some kind of logic to why a enemy run out of combat. Maybe it can even be based on the enemy type where if you fight a few weaker creatures they might send one of them to run back into a room next to him and get more friends to join the combat or something. Aslong as we dont endup with a system where they just run and then spread out all over the area and you have to hunt them down all the time.

I guess one could make a "roll" based on some stats / skills if you can flee or not (you can fumble or the enemy will hit you (cancel your flee)..

Also great that you can set how long time you want on a turn? What are the options one can select for a turn now?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom