Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Pre-Release Thread

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't even want to imagine what kind of hours they've been pulling through the weekend.
I don't even want to imagine what kind of hours I will be pulling through the weekend when the alpha is released.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Go on Larian, show inXile how it's done.

They already have stealth implemented which is one-up on them.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
D:OS has a steaming engine like DD with huge areas right?
(ok not 'completely' streaming since it's not a single area obviously).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
A bunch of Americans getting outdone by Europeans when it comes to making a RPG would be one of the greatest humiliations so of course I'm hoping for it.

Also it looks to me as though D:OS's attribute system doesn't have anything as stupid as "more awareness gives you more extra turns before the enemy can go."

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
That D:OS is in development since 2010 at least should be taken into account, IMO. It probably also has significantly higher budget than any of the KS games.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
This is a beta that I just want to launch it, gaze at how wonderful everything is and then wait for the final release, to avoid any spoilers/burnout.

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
Yep. No load times per sector. And sectors are huuuuuge.

cage_blissdnpwg.gif

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
D:OS has a streaming engine like DD with huge areas right?
(ok not 'completely' streaming since it's not a single area obviously).
Yep. No load times per sector. And sectors are huuuuuge.
The only load times I noticed were when transitioned to another sector (which we weren't supposed to do at such a low level), but even that didn't take long (10 seconds maybe?).

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
What about going between floors in a house or whatever? Seemed rather abrupt...are different levels in a house different zones or something? I expected the character to walk up the steps..but they just kinda teleported to next level once they hit the steps.

Zep--

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Probably a path-finding optimization? You can still see the outside from second floors can't you?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not worried about spoilers in this one, because I don't expect the story to be *that* enaging. That is also why I've watched all playthroughts on YT and Twitch TV. The bulk of fun in this game should be in trying to break every possible system present in it (and there are a lot of them) and see them interact with each other.

That being said, I probably* will wait for the final release because I don't like unfinished games in general. Wasteland 2 is an exception because it was the first game I kickstarted and I want to see for myself if the incline is really coming and compare KS promises with reality.

I'm mostly interested in the editor anyway.

*Yeah, not really.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
I expect D:OS to be really fun, but I actually am most anticipating the editor with this one too. Hoping it's at least on NWN2's level. (The editor, not the game.)

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
doh... Sven ultima 7 didn't do this (it did however, put cave systems in the ocean).

Zeriel

Arcane
Uh, that's pretty common in isometric games? Almost unheard-of not to have the stairs be a transition zone.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
What about going between floors in a house or whatever? Seemed rather abrupt...are different levels in a house different zones or something? I expected the character to walk up the steps..but they just kinda teleported to next level once they hit the steps.

Zep--
I didn't even notice this as it was instantaneous.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Probably because it's already loaded in a invisible area of the map.

I will miss box ladders if they aren't possible....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom