Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Also, I can't shake the feeling that the coop netcode in the EE is way worse than in the base gaem.

DraQ

Arcane
Toggling walk/run is just as basic as WASD in your FPS game.
Yes, in an FPS game.
And even in an FPS game hardcoded WSAD is shit. :M
If you can't/don't implement that it's shitty design, because i don't care about watching my guys walk leisurely around map to see how ''natural'' it is. I only care about getting from point A to point B, especially in the top-down game, where sight seeing isn't even a thing.
Well, you are the only one complaining. If you are going a short distance, you will be there in a moment, no matter whether you walk or run, and for a long distance your characters will spend almost entire time running so you'll get there almost as fast as if you'd be running.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Hard coded? I haven't played a single FPS game, where WASD was hard coded. The same way ''toggle'' means ''option'' by default. Jeezus, you're dumb or what?
What is it with fanboys excusing every single fault a game has even if it's a grounded complain? Go suck some cock, cocksucker.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Started the Enhanced Edition to try out Tactician mode. So far, if you are careful, you'll be fine. I started out with regeneration for both my characters. One is sword and board and the other one is a mage. I will probably recruit Madora like I did last time and then I will see if the new companions are worth my time. (I tried the PC version, but will restart on PS4 so that I can play local co-op with my brother.)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Aaaaaand finished. Some final thoughts:

Played on tactician mode, didn't see any difference between base DOS and this supposed EE hard mode. In fact, it consistently felt like it was significantly easier all throughout the game.

As for the endgame it's... not very much improved to the honest. You get less "big" choices to do (you can no longer kill Arhu for the lich queen which is a bummer, you can't kill Leandra for good and forget about reforging the soul forge). The sauce temple exterior instead of being full of immaculates and deff knights is now just filled with buttons to push, which is pretty bleh - the interior doesn't seem changed at all, but then again, I skipped it completely and just went for the candle lighting to get the hell out of there asap. After that you go through a few LSD bizarro visions that I don't think really add much and engage in a few pointless fights: First the Trife who sucks a lot and summons some sucky "evil" versions of various NPCs. Next is Leandra and a bunch of daemons with IDDQD that only lose that IDDQD one after another, so it's pretty boring (+ you have Icara and Zandalor support which makes it trivial). Then you get an anti-death knight wang and suddenly have to face 6 of them, which ends in two turns because you instagib them all, no point to that fight at all really. And finally there's the void dragon which got nerfed to hell and back - it has barely 3.5k hp, can't instagib your party members for shit, and you also get Zandalor support on top. Pretty disappointing after the hellish fight that it was in the original.

I also mentioned that before, but I think the EE is also considerably more unstable than the base game, at least in multiplayer. Had a bunch of corrupt saves, my coop partner kept getting connection timeouts and couldn't rejoin frequently, stat-resetting errors that needed reloading also happened basically each time we fired up the game, and some more shit.

Also, this time I paid a little bit more attention to the story, and I dunno if it was re-written for the EE as well, but it made even less sense to me than base. The two guardians were originally generals... who fled the void dragon and the day had to be saved by a 3rd general who sacrificed herself. But somehow the gods thought the two coward generals would make for excellent guardians for the godbox containing the void. And so they were made guardians, got fooled by Astarte and... fled the dragon again when it was unleashed. Then they went through the most impressive surveillance footage wiping in history and erased themselves from time itself so that nobody knew it was their incompetence that doomed the world. Good job, best guardians. At one point we started joking that this story was basically the three two stooges: divinity edition. It was made even better when our final turn against the void dragon was one character flipping on ice, the other launching a blind grenade that only blinded Astarte and none of the 4 void enemies around her, and then finally the dragon suiciding by attacking Madora and getting killed by a 50-hp damage reflection from her armour. Best guardians, best goddess, best dragon. Madora once again saves the day by herself.

Zeriel

Arcane
The guardians didn't run away--they were paralyzed by fear, and were rallied by the third guardian. I agree it's not the best story ever, but that part of it isn't unreasonable. The guardian aspect could have been compelling, I think, the whole story just suffers from weird pacing issues that I'd guess have to do with one guy having to write and rewrite it all while also doing Dragon Commander.

DramaticPopcorn

Swen' GDC 2015 talk is now also on Youtube:

Hah, not a word about modding tools.

I guess if you don't acknowledge the problem, it doesn't exist.

Also, regarding Dragon Commander: he admits they cut it and failed to give it enough polish, yet no mention on whether they want to bring it to its original vision, which... actually partly funded the game's development in the first place (sales of repackaged legacy titles)

Last edited by a moderator:

Aenra

regarding Dragon Commander / modding support

:deadhorse:

We talked about it when Larian first 'revealed' this, back when the world was young and dinos still roamed the earth, we talked about it yet again when Swen brought the subject up on his own during his first GDC show i think. You only just found out? Things got tighter than estimated, as is usual in life. They couldn't keep up with both, not in the way they wanted to, they chose (wisely) to compromise in the direction favouring D:OS over DC. Way things turned out, i for one would think it was the right call. There also has been mention of whether DC will ever receive the 'enhanced' treatment. The answer being not surprisingly negative, as i) way too much time has elapsed and they're still not even done with the first D:OS, ii) the ROI if you will of such a move is pretty much minimal by now, if not non-existent.

Far as modding tools and D:OS 2 are concerned, did you miss the dedicated stretch goal? The subsequent announcements/informal promises? Or perhaps this dedicated thread in their forum where we get to make requests regarding editor elements and functionality?
http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=569451#Post569451

What this all will amount to, only time will tell. That however and claiming that "they haven't said a word" are two very different things.

Last edited by a moderator:

DramaticPopcorn

Aenra, are you dense on purpose?

This was a talk regarding D:OS, how does different approach to modding in D:OS2 factor in this?

I wanted to hear Swen's vision on what went wrong with modding, because quite frankly I remember him acknowledging the problem only once, but it changed very little.

So, yeah, NOT A WORD REGARDING MODDING TOOLS IN THAT VIDEO.

Aenra

So to rephrase:
No, you haven't read/taken into account a single thing from the 'list' i made. You stick to that one vid just so you won't admit to yourself you're being an idiot right now. But i am being dense..yeah ok

A lot of you people try to jump through hooves, slightly change the subject, hint at associations not there in your original posts, anything just so the world does not become round. It's your prerogative. Just do keep in mind that when someone politely points you towards some facts, it is idiotic at best to stick to your ..shtick. You can always pretend you didn't read the reply if your ego is that large.

You said and i quote: "I guess if you don't acknowledge the problem, it doesn't exist." And i replied with the above. Now go to GD and find some idiot you can convince the world is square.

nikolokolus

Arcane
So I finally finished this thing in tactician mode (gonna try honor mode next).
Was the Void Dragon really meant to be such a pushover? I mean . . . goddamn, that was it?!

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
This thread is confusing me. I have half a fancy of re-playing the game, but now I can't choose between vanilla and EE. Which should I play? Both seem to have pros and cons...

Zeriel

Arcane
EE is better, people are just shitposting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom