Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

DraQ

Arcane
Rock paper scissors is still in. People on the stream loved it :dead:.
THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!?

It's shitty whe using as negotiation minigame but I think it's OK if you are actually playing with your co-op partner.
It's shitty all around. If you want a persuasion minigame make a proper persuasion minigame.

Or just make the NPC tell players to fuck off if they can't reach agreement and let them work it out between themselves.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Rock paper scissors is still in. People on the stream loved it :dead:.
THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!?

It's shitty whe using as negotiation minigame but I think it's OK if you are actually playing with your co-op partner.
It's shitty all around. If you want a persuasion minigame make a proper persuasion minigame.

Or just make the NPC tell players to fuck off if they can't reach agreement and let them work it out between themselves.

That would in many cases force them to play RPS IRL, which would make them put down the controlers, which is an another shoeah when it comes to immershun etc.

DraQ

Arcane
That would in many cases force them to play RPS IRL, which would make them put down the controlers, which is an another shoeah when it comes to immershun etc.
Maybe they could, you know, communicate? I know it's outlandish, but like talk and try to convince each other? Or failing that just punch each other into submission - I guess you shouldn't expect too much from controller wielders.

Last edited by a moderator:

Castozor

Scholar
To us Flemish sounds great (although we secretly laugh a bit about some words they use).
I second this. Their accent always gives me the impression that the entire country is full of lovable doofuses whom you can't dislike but who are hard to seriously as well.

Maybe they could, you know, communicate? I know it's outlandish, but like talk and try to convince each other? Or failing that just punch each other into submission - I guess you shouldn't expect too much from controller wielders.

If they wanted to talk they wouldn't play fucking video games. Also, what are they going to do when thre'll reach impasse? Sure, you can wrestle the controller from someone, but what if the game is player online? I mean if players communicate and agree on some option they don't have to play RPS.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer

I consider it as a skill check with a weird presentation more than a minigame (the purpose was probably to present this as an important feature). I can go with that (of course, it's uselessy long).

DraQ

Arcane
If they wanted to talk they wouldn't play fucking video games.
No. If they didn't want to talk, the should play solo. There is no point sticking the game in the way of player communication. The dialogue should give both characters the option to concede, it might keep the persuasion options too but they aren't necessary - language is wonderfully broad communication channel allowing for expressing far more reasons and ideas than canned dialogue options.

Also, what are they going to do when thre'll reach impasse? Sure, you can wrestle the controller from someone, but what if the game is player online?
They can engage in a cycle of mutual butthurt until they learn to behave like fucking adults? It's called cooperative mode for a fucking reason, even chimps can learn that and they are generally retarded sociopaths by our standards.

I mean if players communicate and agree on some option they don't have to play RPS.
They may still come from different directions (personally or due to roleplaying different characters) and fail to reconcile during standard dialogue exchange. Sticking a retarded unrelated minigame in their face that has to be completed until gameplay proper can be resumed is just bad.

The dialogue could function differently depending on the circumstances (ideally you could even have an option of players starting to work against one another when trying to resolve quest) but generally telling players to make up their minds if they can't agree is reasonable.
Case in point - there are some dialogues in the game already that work in this exact manner - for example recruiting Jahann.

I consider it as a skill check with a weird presentation more than a minigame (the purpose was probably to present this as an important feature). I can go with that (of course, it's uselessy long).
The problem is that this weird presentation gets in the way of normal gameplay. I didn't buy Rock Paper Scissors: Divinity Edition, I bought Divinity: Original Sin and that's presumably what I want to be playing after I explicitly chose to install and launch it.

Maybe if the minigame was an actual contest of skill and/or thematically tied to the act of persuasion it wouldn't be as grating, but as it is there is a single irredeemably awful thing in the entire game and it's going to stay this way because part of the audience apparently can't breath and think at the same time.
:retarded:

An option to toss a coin could be there for those desperately wanting game's arbitration.

DraQ
People at Larian are experienced developers so they don't count on bullshit like people playing video games being rational adults.

DraQ

Arcane
You don't need to play RPS? Just hit space or which ever key you bind to it.
When persuading the AI you can exploit predictable patterns of its behaviour (it works in patterns rather than randomly for some mysterious reason), so you get much better results when engaging in tedium.
Same with coop as you may try to outguess the other player.

It's not a good gameplay.

DraQ
People at Larian are experienced developers so they don't count on bullshit like people playing video games being rational adults.
You miss the point. It's not Larian's problem if players decide to be retarded manchildren towards one another. It's not a competitive game where it could be a game breaker.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
That "active search" feature looks pretty cool. Solves my inner poke-mon "gotta search em all" but with less effort!

Zep--

DraQ

Arcane
DraQ
You miss the point. It's not Larian's problem if players decide to be retarded manchildren towards one another. It's not a competitive game where it could be a game breaker.
DraQ
They want to sell it to these people so it kind is their problem.
Aand? No one forces them to advertise that some players will get locked in the circle of RL/online bickering with their coop partners because they are terminally retarded (and if they do that, they will be too busy blaming the other person to blame the game).

DraQ
I don't know why are you so against Larian helping autistic morons enjoy the game. You aren't forced to use them and Larian is not there to teach them to be normal people.

DraQ

Arcane
DraQ
I don't know why are you so against Larian helping autistic morons enjoy the game. You aren't forced to use them and Larian is not there to teach them to be normal people.
I am if I want to make any meaningful use of persuasion.

Let me help you:
  • When I want to fight, I fight
  • When I want to ask for information, I ask for information
  • When I want to craft items, I craft
  • When I want to sneak around I sneak around
  • When I want to steal or break in, I steal or break in
  • When I want to explore, I explore
  • When I want to persuade someone I play Rock-Paper-Scissors
One of these things is unlike the others.

SniperHF

Arcane
What if there is an impasse that can't be solved by persuasion? It's not a persuasion mechanic! It's a way to resolve interplayer conflict.

There are many instances of dialogs where the RPS game is used against NPCs and not player vs player(or self if playing SP). Removing those and leaving it strictly for the player vs player dual dialogs would be an improvement. Still not my preference but it's better.

DraQ

Let me help you:

Because human interaction is too complex for video games to simulate correctly it has been often replaced by either a dice roll (classic RPGs) or a dumb fucking minigame (Oblivion). Larian is merging the past and the present by making a luck-based minigame.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
DraQ

Let me help you:

I think the problem with Rock-Paper-Scissors, initially...was... the NPCs were fucking cheating.

Zep--

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's pretty funny how Larian got it right with deterministic stealth, lockpicking, and pickpocketing, but then you get to speech and boom, randomized fail.

Stabbey

Learned
Can't believe that interviewer was calling Swen, Kirill. :cry:

He wasn't, there's someone from Larian whose name is Kirill (or maybe Kiro) with them at E3 (he's in the Larian E3 behind-the-scenes videos). Kiro answered the phone and passed to Farhang.

It's pretty funny how Larian got it right with deterministic stealth, lockpicking, and pickpocketing, but then you get to speech and boom, randomized fail.

That's apparently something which was improved in the EE, although we haven't seen footage of that yet. The footage of the above stream is from the release version of D:OS, not the EE.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom