Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Renevent

Cipher
Also RK Swen does put gameplay above story :smug: and he is nowhere near the filthy scammer fuck Brian Fargo is...

If he is above story....then please just no saving the world trope next time.
Give us a simple adventurer defending a town stuff. Don't waste players' energy and developers time in adding these shenanigans.
I can't believe I'm advocating TOEE approach to storytelling but that's just how bad I felt when forced to go through the whole narrative.
Its almost impossible to larp when the whole setup is almost unpalatable. If a DM throws this kind of shit on PnP most of the players would've taken their doritos and left.

Frankly I would have preferred the ToEE approach. I loved DOS, but had it been designed more like ToEE it would have had way more replay-ability in my eyes.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Some of that shit is pretty silly. I selected no AI so I have to click through all the fucking conversations and agree with myself, or I can disagree without consequence, making the whole fuckin thing pointless unless someone prefers to LARP both sides of a conversation.
If you select "Loyal" AI, your other hero always agrees with you. Alternatively you can deselect "Enable Dual Dialogue" in gameplay options and the other hero won't even say a word.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Disabling Dual Dialogues disables some opportunities for trait cheesing. Loyal jsut gives both same answer. Simulating schizophrenia is best for trait cheesing if different MCs have different builds.
Thank you, Captain_Obvious.

Also I don't understand why people want to cheese this game when everybody is saying it gets too easy even on Hard mode.

Sodafish

Arcane
does anybody know whether it's worth it to buy the secrets from the teller of secrets, e.g. the secrets of stars?

Not unless you find yourself short on star stones at the entrance to final temple. The regular secrets are worthless too if you have a high PER character and are thorough in exploring.

Tigranes

Arcane
So went through with it and beat the first part of the final battle, will do the next later just to put a finish mark on it. As I suspected, the game becomes a lot less fun after the phantom forest - no new tactical options, lots of filler battles, but even worse, all that main plot talking. Oh, god. Larian, please.

Stealth marksman has continued to be powerful all the way. It would be too easy for both characters to just stealth in at the end of every turn (works in 90% of battles) so I've stopped doing it, but with Heartseeker the archer really is a good build.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So, it seems that the NPC dual dialogues are not the most frustrating part of the game for me. Misclicking on an enemy because of its stupid animation is much worse. I was doing the boss battle of the charred skeletons in Cysiel, and I misclicked at least 5-6 times. So instead of attacking, I moved my character, wasting precious APs. I don't have to say how infuriating this is in a boss battle, which needs good tactics and perfect execution.

Also, I gave my shadowblade the zombie talent. It seemed a good idea at first, but I'm starting to regret it. He bacame the most dying character since then, because I can't heal him in a regular way. Usually I hit him with poison arrow with my witch, but that does't heal too much. Is there a better way to heal a zombified character?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
So, it seems that the NPC dual dialogues are not the most frustrating part of the game for me. Misclicking on an enemy because of its stupid animation is much worse. I was doing the boss battle of the charred skeletons in Cysiel, and I misclicked at least 5-6 times. So instead of attacking, I moved my character, wasting precious APs. I don't have to say how infuriating this is in a boss battle, which needs good tactics and perfect execution
Yeah that needs to be fixed.

Also, I gave my shadowblade the zombie talent. It seemed a good idea at first, but I'm starting to regret it. He bacame the most dying character since then, because I can't heal him in a regular way. Usually I hit him with poison arrow with my witch, but that does't heal too much. Is there a better way to heal a zombified character?
What about a poison terrain effect?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What about a poison terrain effect?

Yes this will be it, I just have to find a skillbook for my witch.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, I expect the zombie thing will be annoying - e.g. when you fight enemies that also heal by poison.

The static animation thing is terrible, yes. Especially since a 13 AP assassin has to click on the enemy 6 times a turn. If they fix that and also fix the super-tiny backstab zone (which sometimes does not correspond with where the back of the 3D model is) it would be nice.

By the way, anyone finished the weresheep thing? You get some pretty nice loot. Never did find Maradino's treasure, though.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I finally feel like my archer is fucking shit up. Not using special arrows was a mistake. I'm using them all the time now. Also made her a pyromaniac. Completed some of the longer quest lines in Cyseal. I'm also getting fun gear for once. More legendary items are dropping, but I guess that is because I have been fighting several bosses today.

Ziem

Arbiter
So, it seems that the NPC dual dialogues are not the most frustrating part of the game for me. Misclicking on an enemy because of its stupid animation is much worse. I was doing the boss battle of the charred skeletons in Cysiel, and I misclicked at least 5-6 times. So instead of attacking, I moved my character, wasting precious APs. I don't have to say how infuriating this is in a boss battle, which needs good tactics and perfect execution
Yeah that needs to be fixed.
It can be a bit annoying against some opponents.. luckily you can just click the portrait on top of the screen instead

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
The combat is good but anyone who thinks this 'is one of the best ever' is delusional. I died as many times out of combat due to HAHA! GOTCHA traps than combat. LMFAO

Tigranes

Arcane
What Maradino's treasure?

The little notes you find at various places that give out riddles, which seem to add up to some kind of numerical code? Is there anything at the end of that? E.g.

You find his secret library thing in a cave full of portals in Luculla Forest, where you choose between 3 skill books - there you find a note whose answer is '2' and is the second digit or something.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
^

They aren't Maradona's treasure. There are 4 chests with number-riddles scattered in random places, and the 4 numbers are a combination to the "last chest" at the end of time

Suicidal

Arcane
After finally having finished it, I gotta say that the game becomes way too easy towards the second half and by the time you reach Hunter's Edge, all of the enemies kinda stop posing any sort of threat to your party. There are several reasons for that:

1. At some point of the game you just start getting way too many useful tools. While at the start you are pretty limited in terms of what you can do, towards the end almost every character has everything - damage, crowd control, utility, healing, defensive spells, etc. You have lots of CC spells, which can be used to keep several enemies out of the fight almost indefinitely, lots of healing to quickly recover from any bad situation, shields and resistance buffs that make your characters very hard to kill and enough damage buffs to make your 2-handed warrior one shot a major boss. It's also very easy to max out all your elemental resistances, so your characters can safely disregard most forms of damage. Also, apart from AP, which quickly regenerates every turn, your spell casting is not in any way limited and you can spam heals and CC however long you like. Personally, I like when the game gives you a lot of tools to use for your characters, but I feel that in this case the enemies should be given a lot stuff to deal with you.

2. The AI is very stupid. I mean VERY stupid. It just does whatever it feels like without taking anything into account. I saw the enemies waste turns running around my melee fighters provoking lots of attacks of opportunity, refuse to cross a tiny patch of burning ground that blocked the way, suddenly switch targets instead of finishing off my mage with 100 hp left, waste powerful spells on shitty summons, waste powerful spells on something that is immune to them, etc. Only once in the entire game did I see an enemy caster using Purifying Flame to remove my elemental shield before attacking. 99% of the time it just does things at random.

3. The rate at which you gain HP vastly outscales the rate at which your enemies gain damage. During my early levels my characters ran around with about 200-300 HP, while some enemies can easily hit them for 100-150. In the late game, my characters had between 1200 and 2000 HP, with the enemies being unable to hit them for more than 200-300. The problem is that enemies get no new skills as you progress. Most enemies in the second half of the game waste turns to cast useless crap like Curse or Blind or Headvice, which at that point are literally useless. Why can Braccus Rex, the final boss of the first "act", cast Meteor Shower, which at that point in the game can instantly kill your entire party unless you spread out beforehand, but no other enemy that comes after him can?

The later game enemies don't get any unique abilities or strong weapon attacks that would allow them to quickly eat through your HP and one Meteor Shower with a damage buff can remove half of the enemies in a group before the fight even starts. The only enemies that did something were Death Knights - their damage was decent and you had to deal with the immortality thing, but due to point #1, my party was never in danger anyway. Same with bosses - many of them had unique abilities, but usually they were crap, like summoning a few minions that die on the same turn they were summoned. And apart from that they do the same things regular enemies do - waste several turns giving your party curses, blinds, weakness, AIDS, etc., and then try killing them with 100 damage elemental spells.

Despite this, somehow I never felt that the game was too boring to stop playing, but it's really a shame that the difficulty dropped so much, cause it was reasonably challenging during Cyseal and its surroundings. Still, it's a great game, a solid 8.5/10 and probably the best RPGs released in years. I really really hope that if there is a Divinity OS 2 or an expansion they will properly balance the difficulty to last for the entire game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom