Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Angthoron

Arcane
But can you put a barrel over someone's head, blocking their line of sight and subsequently rob them blind on the spot?

That will be the true test of the game's freeform mechanics.
They're apt to protest if you move stuff around, so maybe not.

Saw some guy complaining on the Steam forums about how it was brutally unfair/buggy that he got attacked after being warned several times by the NPC not to move the NPC's shit. Feature? Nope, broken!
Well, to be fair, nu-RPG fans rarely see something like that happen - and MOVING stuff is such a rare gameplay element that their unprepared minds probably explode in process of it. Can't notice some silly warnings while your mind is blown.

I was playing the beta with a friend, and had said friend get attacked and killed by the NPCs for stealing. I then introduced the concept and lead 'em to dig up a grave in front of the healer house, because "Dead won't mind if you steal their stuff". :troll:

Branm

Learned

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I'm weak

pMsAKP5.png

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
This game is evil, there are 1HKO traps in the tutorial and autosave is not in place. Papa like.

Perkel

Arcane
Fuck i want to play this game but i don't want to spoil fun of playing properly proper release version.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
It has been massively improved since I last played in November. The combat system is fun and challenging so far, very challenging, much savescumming wow. Every level up counts and you need every single encounter the designers throw at you.

SophosTheWise

Cipher
I played the alpha when it first came out. Just for a few hours, to get a glimpse of the game. Now, with every new trailer it's just getting worse. I want to play this game so bad.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Fuck i want to play this game but i don't want to spoil fun of playing properly proper release version.

I consider it the height of restraint and personal discipline that I've only managed to log about 16 hours so far.

Luckily, hardly any of the actual game has been spoiled because Larian has had the forethought to invalidate saves across updates - not sarcasm btw.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
My resolve is strong and supported by general lack of time, so I've only played 2 hours maybe?

But I am really, really happy that it is going to be released in a month, because those blue balls are killing me.

Gord

Arcane
Playing the Beta has definitely been a mixed bag for me.
On the one hand it's great to see the progress, get a early go at playing the game and even contributing a little bit to the development through bug reports and such.
On the other hand one can only play Cyseal so many times before it starts to feel a bit tedious, so I won't get as much enjoyment out of it in the final version :( ...

Zeriel

Arcane
On the one hand it's great to see the progress, get a early go at playing the game and even contributing a little bit to the development through bug reports and such.
On the other hand one can only play Cyseal so many times before it starts to feel a bit tedious, so I won't get as much enjoyment out of it in the final version :( ...

This is why I've saved my e-virginity for June 20th.

Angthoron

Arcane

Come on, it's just the tip... +M

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't want to undermine anyone's faith in Larian, but modern games ususally require up to three months of patching to reach the final final version.

It did happen with Dragon Commander last year.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I can see those three extra months needed. There is a general feeling of needing a couple more tweaks everywhere, not big things buuut. For example, mouse targeting is a very special person, mouse speed is meh, mouse camera panning is bad coming from Dota, and the camera has a couple of zooming/obstruction glitches easily reproducible, music sometime stops for too long between tracks. Framerate is on the eh side. Gamewise everything has checked up okay for me so far and that's good but I guess the full game will have a couple of booboos.

Perkel

Arcane
That is why i played only like 4h and most of it was just first city and first few quests.

Zeriel

Arcane
I don't want to undermine anyone's faith in Larian, but modern games ususally require up to three months of patching to reach the final final version.

It did happen with Dragon Commander last year.

I am more anxious to dick around with the editor than play the campaign, so either way it's fine with me.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I pledged $200 (50 here, 150 on KS) to get early access to the editor. Still kinda pissed they reneged on that deal.

Zep--

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
I'm pretty stoked that this is coming up soon. Haven't been playing the beta to keep it fresh

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom