Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stabbey

Learned
Then why it's a stretch goal?

To add additional skill "groups". D:OS has 8 groups, each with its own set of skills, such as Scoundrel and Aerothurge. The stretch goals are about increasing the number of groups.

Divinity: Original Sin 2
Thanks for the link, good interview. Romances, consoles and some forced diversity how 2015 of them!
as long as it's optional - i don't care. i'm here because it's a systemfag heaven. it's a chess game with narrative and my kind of humour. the more complex mechanics (combinations!) gets (thanks to streach goals), the better.
i don't mind SJW inclusion as long as i get what i want - which is basically a RPG made by a studio which considers forgotten art of interactive software development something more interesting than making linear movies with dialogue squares/wheels/triangles.

Dorateen

Arcane
Lizards are proud: proud to form the world's eldest empire, the world's grandest culture. An imperial dwarf might scoff when reading such grandiose descriptions, but deep down he'd know there is something undeniable about them.

Yeah, undeniable they would make a decent handbag.

Fairfax

Arcane
@LordCrash. So I'm reluctant to give actual figures because we may not be able to fulfil them, and obviously I can't give away spoilers, but with D:OS2 Swen is moving closer to the ultimate goal of creating The Really Big RPG that Dwarfs Them All. Think of it this way - on D:OS there were two writers. Now we are seven. (And we may not stop there.) And we're going to be just as busy. :)

MCA is coming, my friends.

:drink:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Good to know that this isn't the Ultimate RPG either. In the end maybe that'll be Divinity 3.

Fairfax

Arcane
I think it's great that Swen has it as the ultimate goal, unlike InXile and Obsidian, which seem to be settling for small project forever. A big budget Divinity could be fantastic.

Fry

Arcane
Considering the crowdfunded games Avellone has contributed to so far have generated a collective "meh" from the Codex, I'm not sure why everyone's feverishly masturbating to the idea of him dumping a few words into D:OS2. Unless he has full creative control over the story, what you might get is a few quests or characters that are better than the rest. He's not going to transform it into a well-written game.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
as long as it's optional - i don't care. i'm here because it's a systemfag heaven. it's a chess game with narrative and my kind of humour. the more complex mechanics (combinations!) gets (thanks to streach goals), the better.
i don't mind SJW inclusion as long as i get what i want - which is basically a RPG made by a studio which considers forgotten art of interactive software development something more interesting than making linear movies with dialogue squares/wheels/triangles.
How very complacent of yous.

Fairfax

Arcane
Considering the crowdfunded games Avellone has contributed to so far have generated a collective "meh" from the Codex, I'm not sure why everyone's feverishly masturbating to the idea of him dumping a few words into D:OS2. Unless he has full creative control over the story, what you might get is a few quests or characters that are better than the rest. He's not going to transform it into a well-written game.
It's not his fault that he didn't have a significant role in them, and in PoE's case, 3/4 of his content was cut.

Sjukob

Arcane
Lizards are proud: proud to form the world's eldest empire, the world's grandest culture
pffft , I didn't even doubt that Larian would follow this cliche . It was clear for me after they said that dragons are their ancestors .
You know , I actually had hopes that lizards might be actual persons and not some douches with god complex
Looks like it's pure human party time .

Fry

Arcane
he didn't have a significant role in them

Yes. That's my point.

Whipping yourself into a frenzy at a Saint Avellone sighting is a bit stupid when, in his current incarnation as Professional Stretch Goal, his contribution to any given project doesn't do much to improve that project. Wake me up when he lands a creative lead gig somewhere.

Fairfax

Arcane
Yes. That's my point.

Whipping yourself into a frenzy at a Saint Avellone sighting is a bit stupid when, in his current incarnation as Professional Stretch Goal, his contribution to any given project doesn't do much to improve that project. Wake me up when he lands a creative lead gig somewhere.
Even if he only writes a single companion or something, it can only improve the game, right? Guys at Larian seem to admire him, and they really listen to feedback (they're going to add several new tiers, for instance), I think he can really help the game's writing, considering that was one of the weaker aspects of the previous game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wasteland 2 made the top 5 last year.
12147.jpg

If you think that's a "collective 'meh'", well

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Of course, of course. Alter all, it barely beat Grimrock 2, Legend of Heroes, Valkyria Chronicles, and the ToME expansion. How could such a reaction possibly be considered a "meh"?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's more important to look at the percentage of those 813 people who rated it 4/5 and 5/5.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
It's more important to look at the percentage of those 813 people who rated it 4/5 and 5/5.

So what would be your rating system? Total amount of votes times percentage of 4/5 and 5/5 votes?

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Projects might have been not up to Codex's standards but not because of Avellone's contributions. If anything AG Center/Highpool and Durance were the high points of their respective games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom