Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
The ones we've heard so far sound very British. I imagine that's who you hire if you're in Europe and you need English-language VO.

The relevant point is, they must work for a fraction of what US-based actors charge. Either that or their budget is far higher than I would have guessed.
Or maybe their HR is not incompetent,and went on a journey to find good VA that are not famous.Still the american game making price is highly overblown,i wouldn't be surprise if in the next 5-10 years there is a crash of the AAA market.

They are using some actors that voiced characters in DA:I, so they are probably well known professionals.

The voice actors are british, there was an update about it some days ago. Different studios in London.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/pres...cting_Over_74000_Lines_of_Voiced_Dialogue.php

Voice acting talent in Divinity: Original Sin 2 includes veterans from the games industry and beyond:
  • Harry Hadden-Paton as the Red Prince, a haughty but heroic lizard noble exiled from his own empire.
  • Alix Wilton Regan as Sebille, an elven assassin seeking vengeance against the Master who once enslaved her.
  • Tamaryn Payne as Lohse, a star musician possessed by an unwelcome - and powerful - visitor.
  • Chris Finney as Ifan ben-Mezd, a mercenary ex-soldier on the run from a haunted past.
  • Alec Newman as Beast, a rebel-turned-pirate who must save his people from their reckless and tyrannical queen.
  • Christopher Bonwell as the undead whose origin story will soon be revealed.
Not only are the game’s main origin characters fully voiced, Divinity: Original Sin 2 also features around 1200 different characters and creatures, voiced by a full cast of around 80 actors. The full extent of the game’s voiced content cannot possibly be discovered in one playthrough - players who want to hear every NPC’s story and every origin story interaction will require many playthroughs.

Red Prince is voiced by the same guy who did Male Inquisitor in DA:I.

And yes it seems weid compared to something like Pillars of Eternity which had very mediocre VA.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The ones we've heard so far sound very British. I imagine that's who you hire if you're in Europe and you need English-language VO.

Well British people are probably more likely to teach English in Europe.
That sound super wyerd to me.I don't know a single person that is studding English.All the people that i know (Including me) have learned English from day to day shit.I personally learned it from games and movies.

Fry

Arcane
And it shows.

You'd probably want to learn the language a bit better if you intended to find work doing English voice acting. ;)

KateMicucci

Arcane
Yeah, was hoping Red Prince would have a deeper, scratchier voice. I'm not a fan of the snooty English accent for fantasy characters in general. Unless it's Sean Bean.

Jinn

Arcane
I just want to fucking play it! I wish they would release it next Tuesday instead of Thursday like a normal goddamn dev.

imweasel

I'm not a fan of the voice either. I was expecting something lizard like and got a snobbishly aloof high-pitched English voice instead.

OH WELL.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Of course they afforded the voice acting,they all sound like some uppity assholes from Cambridge or some cockney retards you just meet at the pub.If you can't do good VA,don't do it at all

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
And it shows.

You'd probably want to learn the language a bit better if you intended to find work doing English voice acting. ;)
I do know English pretty well mate,just the writing is strange because it doesn't have any logical rules.I do spend a lot of time reading books in English,i can understand old English and like reading Shakespeare from time to time.Also i don't have problems with Irish and Scottish but Welsh is a mystery to me.Thou i do know that i am shitty at writing,and my talking skills need a little experience. ;)

Mark Richard

Arcane
Yeah, was hoping Red Prince would have a deeper, scratchier voice. I'm not a fan of the snooty English accent for fantasy characters in general. Unless it's Sean Bean.
There's a huge variety of accents in Britain for such a short distance (including the posh southerner), but all that matters on the international stage is which is the most recognizable to a worldwide audience, and therefore the most marketable. Sean Bean spent years trying to get out of that box with his rougher Yorkshire accent. Still, at least we got his magnum opus.

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Really curious what the budget is for this thing now.

Voice actors must work cheap in Europe.
Most things are cheaper than usa,especially in east Europa.
no wonder all flock to Hungary to record live orchestra

21458164_1578012262258966_5223873786363773734_o.jpg

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If this is a huge success as dos 1, then next we will see swen's dream rpg.

Looking at it, divinity original sin 2 is a safe decision for them. There arent that much invention compared to the jump from beyond divinity to eco draconis to original sin.

Granted, they are perfecting and expanding the formula, but it is a safe game still.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath

Looking at it, divinity original sin 2 is a safe decision for them. There arent that much invention compared to the jump from beyond divinity to eco draconis to original sin.

Granted, they are perfecting and expanding the formula, but it is a safe game still.

I think next release will be a successor to Dragon Knight Saga in style. probably involving Damien and the Divine etc. Which I'd be totally cool with . Has he made some mention of a dream RPG before, or are you theorising?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron

I think next release will be a successor to Dragon Knight Saga in style. probably involving Damien and the Divine etc. Which I'd be totally cool with . Has he made some mention of a dream RPG before, or are you theorising?
yes, it was on an onterview somewhere around the first original sin released. Swen said he has this dream game planned, but their current budger wouldn't allow it or something.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Ooh i got it
http://www.lar.net/2014/12/18/leaked-the-larian-plans-for-20152016-and-beyond/

From the man's blog itself and i quote:

To ensure our next games will be better, we’re increasing our team size so we can avoid having to make certain development compromises, and we’re building on top of what we have already to prevent the pitfalls of having to start from scratch again. Because we want the foundations to be rock solid, we’re spending a lot of effort on improving the first game in what hopefully becomes a series of games that will lead us to the RPG I’ve been dreaming of, you know, the very big RPG that will dwarf them all.

which there is link that lead to this entry:

http://www.lar.net/2012/08/08/seeking-the-golden-path/

In the comments you can see familiar people, beloved to the codex like Daniel vavra and some.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom