Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Note that torment is storyfag extreme - few dare to spoil themselves.
DOS teaches that larian stories are of lesser consequence.

Plus DOS2 EA has multi diablo arena retardation :decline:. Many people in beta are looking for fights in arena.

Just check the game chat (a fucking RPG with global/local chat like a MMO :rage: ).

I even seen people lf guilds..

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm waiting for the GOG version and I'm probably not the only one. I don't know if I'll play it in EA though.

Lucky

Arcane
Swen said it flat out, unless the Bubbles interview is a lie.
Bubbles: We've had a couple of requests from people who'd like to create their entire party from scratch at the start of the game.

Swen: Yeah, I've heard that quite a few times. In the single player campaign, that's currently not the case. I'm not gonna say “No” - we'll see where we end up with that. But we won't ship it with that option for sure; it would be an enhancement or a modification afterwards. Because I really want people to try out the Origin stories. And if you give [full party creation to them] from the get go, people are perhaps not going to pick the Origin stories; they're going to miss out on all the fun, because they won't realize how deep we went on all of the dialogue options.

Bubbles: And the competitive questing…

Swen: That's multiplayer.

Bubbles: Ah, so you don't have that in single player anymore? Because you talked about getting that to work…

Swen: No, we removed that. What I said, and I was misquoted, I think – or I talked too fast, which I sometimes do –: QA has it. The guys who have to do the testing can just activate competitive questing at all angles. Maybe we'll release that as a mode. But in single player, the experience that we want to have people [sic] is that you're the avatar, and then you have companions; and if you pick another avatar, you get an entirely different experience. If you give them all together [all the origin quests], it becomes super complex, of course, and it's not necessarily as good as you'd have it if you had a single avatar.

----------

Yeah, thanks. Not excited to alt-tab between 4 instances of the same game. If Swen is dead set on me not having fun, I'm happy to just not play his game.

Well fuck, that kills my enthusiasm. I think they're making the mistake of being very excited about a feature that a lot of effort went into (Origin Stories) and worrying too much that the player won't use it, when there's no need for that. Even if a player starts with a created party they'll soon see the quest mechanics at play, use the dialog systems and encounter the would-be companions, and get curious about exploring them themselves. Or if they definitely want you try to game first with pre-made characters, hide party creation somewhere in the UI so that your attention is drawn into the intended direction, but still have it there for the people that want it. Removing it only limits the game's replayability and scope of play for no reason other than an unnecessary lack of confidence.

Same goes for competitive questing. You don't need to worry that I won't fully see all the Origin Stories because finding them will be part of the challenge; it'll be more fun than getting it thrown in my lap by restarting with a different character. It'll make me eager to figure out how all the character interactions play out and what all the possibilities there are. If you really don't want that complex way of playing as the go-to way to play, fine, add an avatar so that people can play without worrying about the competitive element too much, but don't take away the option from singleplayer to appreciate a more complicated style of play. You're only stripping out a unique feature for, again, no reason other than a lack of confidence in the strength of your design. At some point you're going to have to trust the player to realise the potential of the systems you made on their own. Maybe I'll start the game with a pre-made avatar before getting intrigued by the potential of pitting all these companions against each other, or maybe I'll start with a competitive party only to discover that I'm really engaged by an Origin Story and restart with an avatar to focus solely on them, but the important part is that it'll be my choice to do so and that I'll feel more engaged that way because I will be discovering new ways to appreciate the game the more I play it.

This
I'm not gonna say “No” - we'll see where we end up with that. But we won't ship it with that option for sure; it would be an enhancement or a modification afterwards.
and this
Maybe we'll release that as a mode.
give me some hope that we might see these features implemented after the full release, but it's a real letdown that this style of play won't get the treatment it deserves due to not being the intended way to play, though it's better than nothing. We know that Larian reads these threads though, so maybe they can still be convinced to change their mind. Clearly the option to implement it is there, but I'm not sure if they're aware of how valuable a thing they made.

Fuck this is a real downer. I was really, really looking forward to this, but they've cut out what made it special to me. Zombra, tentative reservation for the rage train, please; 'disappointed in you' section.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Instead of going through this weird and unnecessary concept of "origin stories" they could've made them "activate" by the choices you make during the game. I.e. you create one "blank slate" character and then the game starts taking new turns (which will be the old origin stories) depending on what choices you make. It will be the same system, just not as stupid and rail-roady. Yeah, they'd have to write more, but they have 7(!) writers (and Chris), so they could've done it. It's the AoD design "path" which, in my mind, is the superior way to approach choices in the context of RPGs.

Last edited:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Well fuck, that kills my enthusiasm. I think they're making the mistake of being very excited about a feature that a lot of effort went into (Origin Stories) and worrying too much that the player won't use it, when there's no need for that. Even if a player starts with a created party they'll soon see the quest mechanics at play, use the dialog systems and encounter the would-be companions, and get curious about exploring them themselves. Or if they definitely want you try to game first with pre-made characters, hide party creation somewhere in the UI so that your attention is drawn into the intended direction, but still have it there for the people that want it. Removing it only limits the game's replayability and scope of play for no reason other than an unnecessary lack of confidence.

Same goes for competitive questing. You don't need to worry that I won't fully see all the Origin Stories because finding them will be part of the challenge; it'll be more fun than getting it thrown in my lap by restarting with a different character. It'll make me eager to figure out how all the character interactions play out and what all the possibilities there are. If you really don't want that complex way of playing as the go-to way to play, fine, add an avatar so that people can play without worrying about the competitive element too much, but don't take away the option from singleplayer to appreciate a more complicated style of play. You're only stripping out a unique feature for, again, no reason other than a lack of confidence in the strength of your design. At some point you're going to have to trust the player to realise the potential of the systems you made on their own. Maybe I'll start the game with a pre-made avatar before getting intrigued by the potential of pitting all these companions against each other, or maybe I'll start with a competitive party only to discover that I'm really engaged by an Origin Story and restart with an avatar to focus solely on them, but the important part is that it'll be my choice to do so and that I'll feel more engaged that way because I will be discovering new ways to appreciate the game the more I play it.

This

and this

give me some hope that we might see these features implemented after the full release, but it's a real letdown that this style of play won't get the treatment it deserves due to not being the intended way to play, though it's better than nothing. We know that Larian reads these threads though, so maybe they can still be convinced to change their mind. Clearly the option to implement it is there, but I'm not sure if they're aware of how valuable a thing they made.

Fuck this is a real downer. I was really, really looking forward to this, but they've cut out what made it special to me. Zombra, tentative reservation for the rage train, please; 'disappointed in you' section.
You're dreaming concerning party creation. They already said that :
but asking you to sit there and make four deep, complicated characters might be a bit much
It's there.
They think players can't create more than one character, I wonder how many players fainted after creating the first one in the first episode and didn't manage to create the second one.

And yes it's really sad because playing my 4 characters with different objectives, reactions, "concurrent" quests, ... would be pretty fun.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Wouldn't that be schizophrenic though? Kinda like playing chess with yourself. You would know everyone's motivations and plans; when you enact them you'll already know the reaction of some other character because it's you, while all the while knowing that this outcome was wanted by a third character with whom you orchestrated it. It's more like playing with a doll house than chess now that I think about it. Bashing figures into one another, screaming "look they are having sex!". Ugh, weird.

Lucky

Arcane
You're dreaming concerning party creation. They already said that :
but asking you to sit there and make four deep, complicated characters might be a bit much

It's there.
They think players can't create more than one character, I wonder how many players fainted after creating the first one in the first episode and didn't manage to create the second one.

And yes it's really sad because playing my 4 characters with different objectives, reactions, "concurrent" quests, ... would be pretty fun.

They note there that it was still under discussion and the other quote is more recent, so there's still hope. Maybe they can be convinced to use Early Access to let players try out how the game plays with competitive questing intact?

Wouldn't that be schizophrenic though? Kinda like playing chess with yourself. You would know everyone's motivations and plans; when you enact them you'll already know the reaction of some other character because it's you, while all the while knowing that this outcome was wanted by a third character with whom you orchestrated it. It's more like playing with a doll house than chess now that I think about it. Bashing figures into one another, screaming "look they are having sex!". Ugh, weird.

That implies that you know the outcome ahead of time and that the player sees each character as their avatar, which is not the case here. That's what makes it interesting - what happens if I do this? What if I do that? It's the normal way of doing it that consists of bashing figures together. Simple example, but consider what you could do with the tag system: character A is greedy and character B is charitable and they go to accept a quest. Character A selects option X to argue for more reward money, while character B selects option Z to argue for doing it for free. Who will win the stat check and what happens afterwards? What if neither beats the check sufficiently to convince the other? You won't know ahead of time and you don't have a main character who is supposed to walk away as the winner, which is much more engaging than having an avatar select X and eating a -1 to loyalty from character B.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Who will win the stat check and what happens afterwards?

What happens depends on you because you control them both, that's the point. Who wins the stat check isn't important. You control both their reactions and their choices, so there's no conflict in general. Or, should I say, there are no consequences? The consequences are what you choose them to be. Nobody is saying having a gamey -1 loyalty or whatever, it's about logical characters acting in accordance to their character, there's no need for loyalty points.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Is the Elf's Corpse Eater skill a direct reference to Gene Wolfe's New Sun series? That'd make it one hell of a cool reference.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Someone else made the chess comparison before.
On one hand, arguing that you want your characters to fight eachother is pretty dumb (it's like playing chess with yourself)
The difference is that chess is a 100% deterministic game with a completely predictable outcome. If I say John and Jane are both trying to steal the gold, and John picks dialogue option #6 and Jane picks #4, who will win? You don't know, I don't know, it's interesting to see what happens because we don't know all the rules. Maybe Jane will die, maybe John will die, maybe they'll both die. There's much more suspense there than with "John wants to steal the gold and Jane helps him and he will succeed no matter what" which is what every Chosen One story boils down to.
Lucky is correct that part of the fun is the uncertainty. It's similar to any movie or book with multiple protagonists - you don't really know who's going to survive or triumph in the end, and who is going to fail. You control action and intention but not the laws that govern everything. So what will happen?

As far as bashing action figures goes, that comparison is also inapt, because there's only one "rule" in playing with dolls: you hit them into each other until you are bored and that's it, and the reason that's boring is there's nothing to it. In a CRPG there are thousands of substantial rules and many interesting systems. You tease them with input, watch them interact, and enjoy the outcome. This is not the "Achiever" mentality - the one focused on getting past the systems to the end credits as efficiently as possible - it's more of an "Explorer" approach, which is just as valid a reason to play games. Only here what is being explored is not the content but the game systems themselves.

Going back to the question of control - and again this is just for some of us - despite what I said above about unpredictability, it is also fun to have a high level of control over story conflicts. This is why writing fiction is fun. When you're authoring both the hero and the villain (or better yet an ensemble cast without simple "winner/loser" roles), you can create a great story even if you've already decided on the outcome you want. And even when an author does have 100% control over a story, he can still be surprised by what happens - many authors cite the experience of a book "writing itself". They establish characters and situations and then use their imaginations to logically and dramatically follow a course of events to its conclusion, creating thrilling and entertaining scenes along the way. How does that not sound fun?

What happens depends on you because you control them both, that's the point. Who wins the stat check isn't important. You control both their reactions and their choices, so there's no conflict in general. Or, should I say, there are no consequences? The consequences are what you choose them to be.
Of course there is conflict, and of course the consequences are not always hand-chosen. Even the most basic example obviously disproves what you're saying here. I have Grey Knight and Purple Knight attack each other. Each uses the simple attack button which has a 60% chance of hitting every turn. First one to 5 hits wins. Grey Knight goes first. Who will win? Odds look good for Grey, but what if he misses his very first attack? The whole tenor of the fight changes.

If the Grey Knight is the Chosen One, that is when the fight becomes boring, because that is when we know the outcome is already determined. If Grey loses, we'll just reload a save and do it again until he wins, because Grey winning is "canon". But what if it's just two knights fighting over something? Neither one touched by God, neither one with "HERO" tattooed on his face? "What happens if Purple wins?" becomes a legitimate question. That's when you see real drama.

Now explode that example out into the complexity of a typical CRPG, have 4 characters fighting instead of 2, give them asymmetrical abilities and tactical positions, and different victory conditions for each one. In fact give them all different reasons for fighting in the first place. Are you starting to see how this can be fascinating to play out, even as a single player? Yes, if you "want" character #1 to win, you can have the other 3 drop their weapons and stand there and be killed, but even a 5-year-old knows that's a lousy story. A good author (or "role-player") will portray each character faithfully in opposition to the others, and what unfolds can be more compelling than any prescripted outcome.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
There is nothing to "unfold", not in a real sense anyway, you are the one who controls everything. The RNG fight thing is a false analogy because there is no chance involved in choosing dialogue options for everyone. Even if there was, RNG would be king at that point and not some kind of role-playing of characters with concrete worldviews and attitudes.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There is nothing to "unfold", not in a real sense anyway, you are the one who controls everything. The RNG fight thing is a false analogy because there is no chance involved in choosing dialogue options for everyone. Even if there was, RNG would be king at that point and not some kind of role-playing of characters with concrete worldviews and attitudes.
Really? So you already know the outcomes of every dialogue option, and every combination thereof? Did you peek, or are you just that smart?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Really? So you already know the outcomes of every dialogue option, and every combination thereof? Did you peek, or are you just that smart?

What are you talking about? *You* are the one who chooses dialogue options on *all* characters since you are talking to yourself. Unless you mean the dialogue options you get when you talk to yourself? That's just a limitation of the format, it's not an advantage. Not to mention that they are indirect speech, unless it isn't and it's starting to get very eclectic. I don't know if you realize this, but we got this in D:OS1, you talked to yourself when played single-player. It was shit.

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
What are you talking about? *You* are the one who chooses dialogue options on *all* characters since you are talking to yourself.
Do you also choose the outcomes of every dialogue? Or did dialogues not have outcomes in DOS1?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Do you also choose the outcomes of every dialogue? Or did dialogues not have outcomes in DOS1?

What outcomes? You are the one who chooses the outcome because you are controlling the dialogues of everyone!

Zombra

Patron
What outcomes? You are the one who chooses the outcome because you are controlling the dialogues of everyone!
.... So again, you're incapable of representing multiple viewpoints. You're saying "Everyone who disagrees with character #1 will just shut up because character #1 is me!" This is no different from making 3 characters drop their weapons so #1 can kill them all. You threw away your chance to play your characters as characters. You failed to tell a story of any interest.

It's OK if you don't have the sophistication or inclination to portray more than one point of view ... but don't ever be a writer and don't ever be a DM. It's OK if you have fun playing an RPG party as a single brain with 12 arms that just wants to kill everything in sight, but if you think that's the final frontier of role-playing, you're foolish and wrong.

The medium had a chance to advance here, to take a meaningful step forward; yes, it had a chance to incline by broadening real role-playing options for interested players; but Swen stumbled, and scrambled back to the safe option with his dumb Chosen One format ... because of players like you who can't understand anything else, who don't really get the difference between a player and a character. Is it any wonder I'm disappointed?

Last edited:

Leechmonger

Arbiter
It's OK if you don't have the sophistication or inclination to portray more than one point of view ... but don't ever be a writer and don't ever be a DM. It's OK if you have fun playing an RPG party as a single brain with 12 arms that just wants to kill everything in sight, but if you think that's the final frontier of role-playing, you're foolish and wrong.

The final frontier of role-playing is a child's tea party :obviously:

Is it any wonder I'm disappointed?

You will never know disappointment the way your parents do.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Zombra , you fail to realize that they did that in D:OS1 and it was very far away from the new roleplaying frontier. To go with your DM analogy - it would be like DM'ing alone, with no players around. It's not about not being able to represent 2 or more points of view, it's about the purpose of doing such. it's a hollow exercise when it's for its own sake.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So they had learnt nothing and implemented the same goddamned stupid MMO-style item progression system?

Jesus Christ.

Every Divinity game has had this kind of item system, what makes you think they'd ever change it?

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
So they had learnt nothing and implemented the same goddamned stupid MMO-style item progression system?

Jesus Christ.

Every Divinity game has had this kind of item system, what makes you think they'd ever change it?
because it fucking sucks? I can understand it being implemented in Diablo clones (DivDiv) and aRPGs (DivDKS). It's been there since Diablo, MMOs further solidified it and a change there would be all kinds of revolutionary. However, with their transition to "proper" cRPGs, moving to turn-based combat, multiple characters and all that jazz, I would expect item system to be overhauled as well.

Zombra

Patron
Zombra , you fail to realize that they did that in D:OS1 and it was very far away from the new roleplaying frontier. To go with your DM analogy - it would be like DM'ing alone, with no players around. It's not about not being able to represent 2 or more points of view, it's about the purpose of doing such. it's a hollow exercise when it's for its own sake.
I never got far in DOS1 (yet), but I liked what I saw as far as it went. Anyway that's not the point. In the DOS2 KS, they showed stuff that wasn't just "for its own sake". They showed stuff like one PC who wants to free the slaves, and another PC who wants to work with the oppressors. This is what competitive questing is and it does have a purpose. For the first time in a CRPG, player characters can have hard-coded opposing game goals (beyond "Fight for no reason!"), and I was looking forward to pursuing multiple sides of the same story, with the exciting tension that comes with not knowing the outcome beforehand. What will happen to the slaves? Who knows? Maybe PC #2 will actually win. And of course all of this can already be done in multiplayer, and nobody questions that it's fun and valuable for two characters to be at odds when there are two different players at their desks controlling those characters. Why is there so much opposition to the idea that a single player can pit two of his creations against each other?

it would be like DM'ing alone, with no players around
By that logic, there's no point to playing a single-player game at all because "you control everything" anyway. You're neglecting the obvious fact that there is a game world that sets the rules and systems, and provides obstacles, challenges, and a format for PCs to resolve conflicts in interesting ways. It's true that I won't be surprised when my assassin character betrays the paladin, but that surprise is not the interesting part - the interesting part is that I don't know who will win because I don't control everything as you keep saying. The game is still a game. It gives me options, and I utilize the appropriate option for each character, based on their motivation (and hard-coded quest goals!), and then see what happens. And, again, what happens is going to be far more interesting than "characters 2, 3, and 4 follow mutely behind #1 and do whatever he wants".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom