Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Jarmaro

Liturgist
I approach a couple laying on the ground, truly cute view. The girl tells me their story... and then just tells me the guy is a sorccerer.
What the fuck this game. THey are hiding, but they say us this information beceause... we are heroes?
I dropped the game for a few days and this is the first thing I found after picking it up.
(except surprise about retarded items, can't use crossbow properly beceause I have too little level. The fuck.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Let me tell you guys about an adventure I had last evening, the adventure of the black cat. Minor spoilers for the early game, so if you're super-sensitive, skip this.

Alright, so, yesterday, we actually started, ever-so-slowly, my GF and I - she's an Enchanter (with Pet Pal, which is mildly relevant) and instantly fell in love with Fane, and just at the beach, we picked up the Red Prince. Now, there's the Black Cat, and I knew it was coming, so I hung back, letting my GF trigger the kitty ("Oh my, you found a cat! Cool!"). She talked to it, and we went on adventuring. It seemed to be following her.

Hours later, we notice that it's not. We noticed because we wanted to get rid of the Red Prince (to pick up Ifan), but the Black Cat followed him even when he was dismissed.

It followed him when he died.

It followed him when he was dismissed and then killed.

It kept following him even if you talked to the cat, dismissed the Red Prince, and then stopped talking to the cat.

Three fucking hours after we first picked up the cat. And I knew that this was relevant, obviously. So what ensued was an almost hour-long trial-and-error testing of what the fuck made the cat follow the Red Prince. Now, fun fact; the internet is fucking useless. Reddit is full of CIA nigger jews that can't identify an error if you fucking spoon-feed them, and I'm starting to wonder if shit like this is Larians fault or if all of the testers are simply fucking retarded. Clearly, Early Access and Beta Testing does not work as intended. How do I know this? Because everyone says the same thing. It's apparently a common issue. "Why is the Black Cat following the Red Prince"? The general consensus? "Oh, naw man, the cat just follows the one that triggers it".

Fuck you!

We ended up loading all the way back to where we first made beachfall after the shipwreck. I stood still, she ran up. What does the cat do? It runs to me. And then it follows me, exclusively.

We ended up loading on the ship, and then go through the motions, and then she ran all the way up, triggered the cat and... it runs to me, again. Over and over and over.

And this goes on for a long-ass time of testing different approaches, but it just keeps running straight to me. But it obviously didn't run to me before, when we had the Red Prince, because it attached to the Prince. So what the fuck gives?

And then, at that moment, it dawns on me.

I tell my girlfriend to hang back.

I run up.

It triggers.

...it runs straight to her and attaches to her.

It doesn't attach to the one that triggers it. It doesn't attach to the first or last person in the party order. It has nothing to do with who hosts the game or is the "main character".

The fucking black cat runs to whomever is the furthest away when you trigger it.

That's why people are having such issues with it. In single-player, when people meet the black cat after picking up the Red Prince, the Red Prince is almost certainly chained to the protagonist, and moves behind him. So when the protagonist goes up and triggers the cat, it runs up and attaches to the Red Prince. And when I hung back - with the Red Prince behind me - hoping that my GF would get the cat, and despite the fact that my GF talked to the cat and has Pet Pal, the cat attached itself to the Red Prince because I hung back and the Red Prince was behind me.

This seriously has to be the most retarded issue and least intuitive solution I've ever been subjected to in a game. Seriously, what the fucking fuck, Larian? What. The. Fuck. Lost over 3 hours on this shit.

TL;DR: If you want the black cat to attach to a specific individual, keep the individual as far away as possible and run up with another character to trigger it. It will run straight to your intended character (no matter how far) and latch on.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
dis wrecker's cave is so dumb i swear

so first you get scripted-death-scene abducted by turbo bugs

well okay

then your entire team is displaced across completely random places where there is little reason why the bugs would drop you except for the big hive

well okay

nevermind that this displacement is completely pointless with waypoints and pyramids

well okay

then there's just about nothing in the whole huge cave except for doom3 monster closets

well okay

and then the turbobugs (which are always doom3 monster closets) are suddenly no longer capable of doing their scripted death supa killing moves because reasons

mhm

i also love how ever since i got this spirit vision thing, it hasn't had any actual real use other than pointless BLABLABLABLA

best game for sure

Lambach

Arcane
Hey guys, about to start this puppy, and I hear that mixed parties are ineffective on Tactician and you should focus either on physical or magic damage to quickly wear shields down. Is that true?

Black

Arcane
So you're saying the official RPG Codex review is coming along nicely?
^From what I've seen yeah, splitting up the damage type will only hurt you.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Hey guys, about to start this puppy, and I hear that mixed parties are ineffective on Tactician and you should focus either on physical or magic damage to quickly wear shields down. Is that true?
Do you have to? No, not at all.
Is it more effective? Yes. A lot.

A type-focused and nuke-focused party is hands down the most efficient.

However, it's also really fucking boring to play like that, so it's nothing I'd recommend. I'd rather suggest that you mod the difficulty to remove the armor bonus the enemies get, and increase the health a bit. It does make the game a bit easier, but the flow becomes a lot better, since your damage doesn't scale to their armor, but the game was obviously "balanced" for normal armor values, no matter the health and damage of the enemies. It greatly improves the flow of combat and keeps armor as a "prevent instant hard CC at the start of combat" rather than making it a fucking chore that holds everything up.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Is a 4-caster party viable then? And can you effectively use summoned creatures as a substitute for tanks?
Yeah. I'd be surprised if they didn't nerf the shit out of Bone Widow in some upcoming patch, because while Summoning and Necromancy has really shitty synergy, the fact is that a Necromancer's Bone Widow, with some points in Summoning, is absolutely fucking obscene. Sure, it doesn't have any magic armor, but it can just stand there and soak shit up. I guess that's it's designated role, honestly.

But yeah, a 4-caster party would be very viable. Even a single point in Summoning for each would probably be worth it, even if the Incarnate is only a distraction. Have one of your casters just beeline it to Summoning 10, and have the rest of them put at least 1 point into Summoning, and one of those should probably be Necromancy anyway, for Bone Widow, and you're set in the summoning/tanking department. Then just have everyone that isn't the Summoner just nuke the shit out of everything, all day, every day.

Lambach

Arcane
A type-focused and nuke-focused party is hands down the most efficient.

Then I'll probably go that route for the first playthrough until I get a good feel for the game and figure out which party comp is neither too overpowered nor too gimped. If I get bored, I'll start over.

I'm overall somewhat reluctant to start the game since, at least on paper, I don't like the changes compared to the first one. Setting up all the pre-battle cheese and chain CC-ing was half the fun and it seems that's been eliminated from the game due to shields.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I actually feel compelled to launch the game anew again, this time for the final time, playing a hunter and a ice/lightning mage. Hum.. GF will keel me, tho.

YOU PLAY TUUE MUCHA COMPUTARAH! I WIELL BREAK JU

Should I start another tactician or go for honored? Anybody tried that?

Vibalist

Arcane
I wonder if people realise that there's not a lot of reactivity that is actually logical or matters in the game. There are a few strange examples that stand out, one being Scholar tag that is the only tag in the game that has real quests locked behind it (other tags are mostly "Speak a line leading to same outcome: I have this tag!"), but for the most part, even clearing maps of all and any sentient life doesn't affect your game very much. The glowing button near you map seems more like a lie, and neither regional or personal reputation exist or express themselves during the game. For example, if you kill Saheila in 1st act you have a chance to tell about it in 2d act and aggro elven camp on yourself, but you may also not, and still go through generally same Lone Wolfs slaughterhouse (although having Ifan in party delays the inevitable). That's how you can also have both Hero and Villain tags at the same time - do all quests, and then kill everyone on the map :shittydog:

I think one of best examples of companions reacting is the quest about lich in a cellar. You can follow it through until lich basically eats a baby in front of you with all companions being utterly disgusted, say "this is fine", take reward from him and leave him alone. That's it, you're all great and free XP. Companions don't even activate a disapproval penalty.

In one and a half playthroughs, I found it hard to get anything meaningful out of my choices, as everything interesting is inevitably delayed until Act 4.

And don't make me start on Witch in Act 1, or Ryker in Act 2, or Lone Wolf leader there, and all the others, who end up trying to kill you regardless of your actions.

I remember my first disappointment with this game was when

I killed every magister in Fort Joy and absolutely no one reacted. People inside the Fort Joy ghetto still acted like they were imprisoned, even with dead guards lying there three feet away from them. People inside the cells would still tell me "there's no way to escape this place!", even though they could just waltz out of there if they wanted to.

Prior to this moment I had been impressed with how organic and alive the gameworld felt, but this made me feel slightly less inclined to keep playing.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Where the hell am I supposed to find blackroot. Lizard lady had only one, and now my other player character can't inhale smoke. FFS, this is retarded.

Edit: the hanged lizard's spirit's story is cringe on par with the lesbians backer NPC story from PoE.

2nd Edit: More gay shit in the story of a spirit from the killed caravan crew.

Last edited:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I actually feel compelled to launch the game anew again, this time for the final time, playing a hunter and a ice/lightning mage. Hum.. GF will keel me, tho.

YOU PLAY TUUE MUCHA COMPUTARAH! I WIELL BREAK JU

Should I start another tactician or go for honored? Anybody tried that?
If your GF bitches at you instead of playing with you, you should dump that shit like a sack of hot potatoes.
I wonder if people realise that there's not a lot of reactivity that is actually logical or matters in the game. There are a few strange examples that stand out, one being Scholar tag that is the only tag in the game that has real quests locked behind it (other tags are mostly "Speak a line leading to same outcome: I have this tag!"), but for the most part, even clearing maps of all and any sentient life doesn't affect your game very much. The glowing button near you map seems more like a lie, and neither regional or personal reputation exist or express themselves during the game. For example, if you kill Saheila in 1st act you have a chance to tell about it in 2d act and aggro elven camp on yourself, but you may also not, and still go through generally same Lone Wolfs slaughterhouse (although having Ifan in party delays the inevitable). That's how you can also have both Hero and Villain tags at the same time - do all quests, and then kill everyone on the map :shittydog:

I think one of best examples of companions reacting is the quest about lich in a cellar. You can follow it through until lich basically eats a baby in front of you with all companions being utterly disgusted, say "this is fine", take reward from him and leave him alone. That's it, you're all great and free XP. Companions don't even activate a disapproval penalty.

In one and a half playthroughs, I found it hard to get anything meaningful out of my choices, as everything interesting is inevitably delayed until Act 4.

And don't make me start on Witch in Act 1, or Ryker in Act 2, or Lone Wolf leader there, and all the others, who end up trying to kill you regardless of your actions.

I remember my first disappointment with this game was when

I killed every magister in Fort Joy and absolutely no one reacted. People inside the Fort Joy ghetto still acted like they were imprisoned, even with dead guards lying there three feet away from them. People inside the cells would still tell me "there's no way to escape this place!", even though they could just waltz out of there if they wanted to.

Prior to this moment I had been impressed with how organic and alive the gameworld felt, but this made me feel slightly less inclined to keep playing.
Yeah, the game is still fun, but people that are lauding it for it's hard choices and reactivity have likely never played an RPG before.

Tigranes

Arcane
Where the hell am I supposed to find blackroot. Lizard lady had only one, and now my other player character can't inhale smoke. FFS, this is retarded.

Edit: the hanged lizard's spirit's story is cringe on par with the lesbians backer NPC story from PoE.

Near Eithne the trader, in cloisterwood? West side of map betwren blood island and seacliffy area

Didnt even know you could do it with every char, I mean Im glad since everything to do with that spirit realm is retardo shit

Gather several since you gotta redo ritual later

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Finally finished the game in coop with RK47.

Heavy spoilers below;

One-shot him with the Rain of Arrows, and I became THE DIVINE. he got really butthurt that he didn't get to watch the ending :P

372109E798BA0CE16355941FA9672BD10C9B7CC4

72EBC2E452CE5939DED4D262025245D26C66F4E5

People who say that initiative doesn't matter, it literally makes you Divine :smug:

91828D94F87ABA79E3F6E42EDD0CF10FEB5DB1DC
Small hint. Folks don't play coop games. There you can see what would happen.

Vibalist

Arcane
The Journal in this game is so fucking broken. I have about 10 entries that simply don't close even after I've completed the quests. When I transition to a new area, they show up as failed.

I can understand why two or three quests would be bugged upon release, but this is ridiculous.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Near Eithne the trader, in cloisterwood? West side of map betwren blood island and seacliffy area

Didnt even know you could do it with every char, I mean Im glad since everything to do with that spirit realm is retardo shit

Gather several since you gotta redo ritual later
Thanks! I don't know if you can do it with party members. I started a coop playthrough so I have two "main" characters - with the crown icon on the portrait.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Been playing for 15 hours now after re-rolling a 100% physical party, and man is it broken - the armor system that is. Broken in the sense that everything that made the original fun has just vanished with that party setup. The only thing I have to do now to win is whack away. Forget about the elemental combat. The ranger? Screw using any magical arrows it will only gimp you. I actually think the default attack does the most damage. Two warriors to hack away the armor, and then take turns stunning the enemy while the rogue backstabs everyone in sight...

Lhynn

Arcane
Why should a game adhere to conservative standards regarding sexual morality and decency? I don't get it. Unless you want to go the SJW route and embrace identity politics it shouldn't matter if an NPC is a gay furry or whathaveyou. Unless it's the only thing the NPC talks about because then it's back to identity politics aka 'being gay is all there is as far as my very own personal identity is concerned'.
The guys at the codex are all prunes, they just do it missionary and only when their imaginary womyn is ovulating.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom