Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Divine Divinity - forgotten gem, or rightfully forgotten?

Spike

Educated
the writing is funny
It's not.

Oh please, this is nowhere near a common kind of occurrence. There's just gags like this once in a while. It's fine, it's fun...It isn't like they beat the main villain by dancing or whatever, the main plot is played straight.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Is a fun game which allowed itself to be amusing and charming where it wanted to be. Without hot lizardmen romance fucking. Atm this kind of amateur but with heart writing is long lost, as we get internet memes, blogger kickstarter self inserts, the lesson is disapointment of implacable gods and grimdork instead.

Spike

Educated
the writing is funny
It's not.

Oh please, this is nowhere near a common kind of occurrence. There's just gags like this once in a while. It's fine, it's fun...It isn't like they beat the main villain by dancing or whatever, the main plot is played straight.

Okay but it's still not funny
Larian will never be funny

Fair if you don't think so...I do ;_; It isn't laugh out loud funny, but it's "charming" and "cute". It is "hearty chuckle/sensible staccato'd guffaw followed by enduring smile" funny. As Shadenuat said, it has heart. Exceedingly rare these days.

If you're expecting belly laughs from a video game and believe humor can never be chuckle worthy or something that just elicits a smile... Sure it's juvenile and silly at times, but that's part of the charm. The game takes itself seriously when it's important. Same as D2 DKS, that has wonderful quests as well, some of them more juvenile than others (like the guy who gets soulfused with a pig or sth or the dragon hunter team).

Games that have tiny bits of humour are more palatable obviously, but DD and DKS are still ones where it's part of the charm. Now DOS.. let us not get started.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
the writing is funny
It's not.

You know how some girls say they love video games, and if you ask what, they say Mario or Zelda? This is the Mario or Zelda joke of the Divinity universe. Very many people who haven't played the games much will link this exact joke.
The actual thinking man's Larian joke is the rhyming wizard Bellegar
48-C14-20.jpg

norolim

Arcane
Played it 3 years ago for the first time (1st time to completion). Loved the music and the interactive environments. Liked the setting (although plot & characterisation were just OK), the quests, the freedom of exploration and the presentation. Character progression was good initially, but completely broke down in the last quarter of the game, when I had tones of points to distribute, but I didn't because there was no point. The UI & controls, itemisation and reactivity were meh. Poor balancing and writing. All in all, an above the average blend of Ultima VII and Diablo.

A couple of months ago I also finished Beyond Divinity.... Dear God, what a mess of a game.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
In short, it appears to one of the rare good rpgs, but it has next to no presence on here even back in it's era. What gives?

rightfully forgotten

"even back in its era" is the key word

Because there was much better stuff to play. Back in the day it was C-tier

snoek

Cipher
I remember lots of people being put off by the game because one of the biggest and hardest dungeons was right beneath the starter town.
I really liked the design, art style and writing.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
the writing is funny
It's not.

You know how some girls say they love video games, and if you ask what, they say Mario or Zelda? This is the Mario or Zelda joke of the Divinity universe. Very many people who haven't played the games much will link this exact joke.
The actual thinking man's Larian joke is the rhyming wizard Bellegar
48-C14-20.jpg

Cool theory but I came across that scene myself during a playthrough two days ago and it made me turn it off

Snufkin

Augur
Played Divine Divinity but never finished. Unless i picked scorpion traps and poison weapon i did no dmg and got stomped. Sadly there is no proper warrior guide on internet that puts details with what to take on lvl ups. :(

EDIT: Graphics in this game are GODLY.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I agree, it is one of the best looking games of its kind for me. Even the character portraits are awesome. I played it for the first time a few years ago and immediately fell in love with it because of the presentation, being able to adjust the UI and the character I made. It is lamentable that games continue to be made that are inspired by this one and the games that influenced it, but do not implement the fixed perspective and beautiful hand-drawn and colored look of the graphics. I can enjoy just walking around talking to people and looting shelves and chests or moving objects around because of how much I love the way everything is presented, similarly to how engaging the interactivity of the environment in Ultima VII is.

curds

Magister
I remember lots of people being put off by the game because one of the biggest and hardest dungeons was right beneath the starter town.
I got filtered by that dungeon 'cuz I thought every dungeon in the game would be similar. Are you saying otherwise? Because I liked almost everything else but that dungeon sapped my enjoyment.

bloodlover

Arcane
Played Divine Divinity but never finished. Unless i picked scorpion traps and poison weapon i did no dmg and got stomped. Sadly there is no proper warrior guide on internet that puts details with what to take on lvl ups. :(

Look at Aric's warrior guide on the old Larian forums.

snoek

Cipher
I got filtered by that dungeon 'cuz I thought every dungeon in the game would be similar. Are you saying otherwise? Because I liked almost everything else but that dungeon sapped my enjoyment.
Once you complete that dungeon you're pretty much OP for the rest of the game .. But you had to take it easy and grind quite a bit in that first dungeon to get there as far as I can remember.

Old One

Arcane
If you haven't already, you should give Divinity 2 (Dragon Knight Saga) a try, once you finish DD. Not exactly a great game, but still a bit underrated and an enjoyable time sink, if you enjoyed the questing and humor of DD.
Both the GOG and Steam versions have serious framerate issues that I haven't been able to solve with any of the solutions found online. I'm beginning to think I'll have to play it with the choppiness included.

FWIW, I played the Divinity 2 Director's Cut several years ago and it had excellent stability and performance.

the first time i played it i thought it was a terrible unfun turd, i kept having to pull enemies one at a time, unload all the mana, try to escape, save, repeat.
over a decade later i tried it again, pushed by all the praise, and this second time i thought it was a terrible unfun turd still.

If you haven't already, you should give Divinity 2 (Dragon Knight Saga) a try, once you finish DD. Not exactly a great game, but still a bit underrated and an enjoyable time sink, if you enjoyed the questing and humor of DD.
Both the GOG and Steam versions have serious framerate issues that I haven't been able to solve with any of the solutions found online. I'm beginning to think I'll have to play it with the choppiness included.

FWIW, I played the Divinity 2 Director's Cut several years ago and it had excellent stability and performance.
It doesn't anymore, and despite it being made in Gamebryo, it has no mods that I know of.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Last time I tried to play it was on my okd boat anchor desktop. Ehen it ran it was slow. I think i got out of town. One alt trued to murder everyone.

Harthwain

Magister
I disagree with calling it either "forgotten" or "gem". It gets mentions from time to time and is no gem.

Divine Divity's problem is that it had to compete with Diablo (Lord of Destruction). I would compare it to Sacred (2004) - a competent game, but not good enough to outshine the most popular hack'n'slash on the market.

Spike

Educated
I disagree with calling it either "forgotten" or "gem". It gets mentions from time to time and is no gem.

Divine Divity's problem is that it had to compete with Diablo (Lord of Destruction). I would compare it to Sacred (2004) - a competent game, but not good enough to outshine the most popular hack'n'slash on the market.
It isn't a hack 'n slash though. It's more of a classic CRPG attempting to be done in a hack n slash way. Do not compare it to Diablo. It should be judged based on story/world/character/quests/lore standards, like a classic crpg. Not hack n slash (love D2 btw).

Harthwain

Magister
It isn't a hack 'n slash though. It's more of a classic CRPG attempting to be done in a hack n slash way. Do not compare it to Diablo. It should be judged based on story/world/character/quests/lore standards, like a classic crpg. Not hack n slash (love D2 btw).
You're correct that Divine Divinity has more RPG elements than Diablo. But no matter how much more than Diablo it is, it has too much of Diablo in it to not call it hack'n'slash, even if you throw in Ultima 8 into the mix. Both Diablo and Divine Divinity are isometric action RPGs with hack and slash combat style, with randomly generated loot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom