Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dissapointed in the reviews of Mafia II, buy Saboteur

Crichton

Prophet
It's only $10, it's got great period music and the enemies are over-the top pastiches of Nazis (chicks in leather trenchcoats, dipshits with gasmasks and flamethrowers, gestapo agents with long black cars fitted with twin machine guns).

The viewpoint character is a drunken, two-fisted irishman hell-bent on revenge against the fucking krauts. You get to meet all sorts of interesting characters like sexy spy chick, reserved french chick and 8 million cabaret dancers.

The only problem I have with it is that the controls are lousy. The keyboard/mouse controls are just awkward and controlling a gun with a gamepad is hell.

It's not my favorite action game ever, but it's my favorite GTA clone and more than enough to tide me over until the price of Mafia II comes down.

Also:

TheSaboteur-20.jpg

edit: fixed the link

Drakron

Arcane
Except Sabotour is complete shit were its "saving grace" is the transition from Film Noir to HOW THE FUCK IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE , Mafia II is just average and short.

Also it justifies EA killing Pandemic.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I wanted to like The Saboteur. I wanted to like it so bad--great atmosphere, music, quirky art direction, hilarious protagonist with hilarious accent. But the controls are fucking horrid.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Drakron said:
Except Sabotour is complete shit were its "saving grace" is the transition from Film Noir to HOW THE FUCK IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE , Mafia II is just average and short.

Also it justifies EA killing Pandemic.

Apart from this, there's nothing to do in the game as most of the areas are unused except for just blowing stuff up for the completion. There\s those C&C style double cannon tanks, yet no mission to maybe steal them, or the rocket silos and coastal guns which also scream for a proper set of scenarios yet are just there as window dressing. The central super secure area of Paris is used for ONE mission!

The idiotic 'war started in 1940' bit started the downhill ride and it kept going.

I actually did like that many of the missions were to kill collaborators, even a woman as it was a nice cynical change from the usual heroic resistance tripe though the good bits were few and far between.

coaster

Liturgist
I believe it was a dinghy in the first game. Paraglider was the sequel. Both great games though.

ecliptic

Liturgist
Grat tune on that vid. Had no idea the CPC had sucha great music chip to accompany such poor graphics!

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
ecliptic said:
Grat tune on that vid. Had no idea the CPC had sucha great music chip to accompany such poor graphics!

Yeah the sound was pretty good on the CPC. The graphics could also be good but with Saboteur they were just ported directly from the Spectrum I think. We Amstrad owners usually got Commodore's sloppy seconds regarding graphics. TAU CETI looked incredible back in 1986 with the shaded 3D and the spark blast explosions though.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Luzur said:
Alexandros said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRs9ys2RLug

:salute:

On another note, FUCKING SPECTRUM PORTS :x

cant beat the Commodore, bitch.

My father bought me a C64 once. Then he got the shits seeing it took 20 minutes to play a game with the tape deck! He took it back that same day and bought the Amstrad CPC 6128. Not a bad machine, but shit I wished he kept the Commodore!

Achilles

Arcane
Luzur said:

I could have, if the stupid developers had actually taken advantage of the CPC's hardware instead of churning out spectrum ports.

Luzur

Good Sir
commie said:
Luzur said:
Alexandros said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRs9ys2RLug

:salute:

On another note, FUCKING SPECTRUM PORTS :x

My father bought me a C64 once. Then he got the shits seeing it took 20 minutes to play a game with the tape deck! He took it back that same day and bought the Amstrad CPC 6128. Not a bad machine, but shit I wished he kept the Commodore!

20 min? did he make that tapedeck himself? it takes 4-5 min tops, if the header is set right. but discdrive is the way to go.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Morgoth said:
I heard Saboteur wouldn't run on Ati cards. Has that been fixed by now?

Oh, it runs. Badly, but it runs. After patching it, it'll play okay-ish as long as you accept windowed mode.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom