Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

KVVRR

Learned
The real hustlers have Kim sell his spins for the highest amount and then ask Joyce for money anyways.

All the phasmid stuff is retarded. They should have had the Deserter already dying from cancer when you find him and ironically you would have to use YOUR healing items to bring him back alive to be prosecuted. That's way more interesting than the slop we got
Disagree there.
The case and everything related to the Deserter still works without the phasmid; but adding it helps both justify that miracle of a shot and caps off one of the game's central themes -- even in dark times, even when it all seems over, there's hope and beauty in the world, hidden in plain sight. The deserter was so fixated in the past that he couldn't see it. It also gives a nice little tie to how the pale seems to work going by the book and lore. It's these stand out features that make Elysium's setting pop as something more than your typical alternative history setting.

Besides, aren't all your healing items just the equivalent to ibuprofens and (maybe) uppers? I'm not sure they'd be very effective to someone in his state. Maybe you could have it so he becomes more lucid the more of them you have, so the game rewards players who played well enough to have a good stock?

I believe a Harry with high savoir faire who shows up late at night should be able to catch her. She can't stay awake forever.
Yeah you're right. It'd be pretty neat if you could actually sneak up on her like that, and it'd give some usefulness to Savoir Faire who honestly kinda needs it. Savvy's fun but that's all he is, really.

Unrelated but this reminds me. I had a playthrough of someone in the back while working and I might be wrong, but
doesn't this sound like Dora reading about Harry and the phasmid on a newspaper?
SmEWTka.png

ind33d

Learned
I would like to see a developer use Disco's ruleset for a Traveller RPG. That would be unfuckupable

S.torch

Arbiter
It seems the trio, Kurvitz, Rostov and Hindpere is still alive. Found this semi-recent article where they gave some answers.

Helen Hindpere said:
What’s next for me? I know that I want to keep working on video games, but can I actually do it? Every day I wake up and start working again and start trying to move on. I think about it and I really hope the answer will be yes. That I can get through it and master the optimism and turn everything that has happened into creativity. But it’s not an easy answer. I’m definitely not over it because of the legal process. That’s very hard, but if there’s something that I have learned it’s that I can always create something new.
Robert Kurvitz said:
There’s lots of interest from investors and fans for what we might want to do next. There’s a surprising amount of camaraderie among very important artistic partners in my life. Even after this unbelievable ordeal that we’ve gone through together, we want to make art together and to build something new.

Sounds like they may have something in their hands, and according to Roguey, Kurvitz is on a secret project. Don't know where he found that though. :M

Devastator

Learned
I finally played this game and it really is a masterpiece. I kept hearing that it was good, so I ignored all info and spoilers about it over the years and went it into it completely blind.

The town shootout was fucking epic. That island dweller was a fucking degenerate with a cool Insulindian pet.

In the end, Kim had such wonderful things to say about the PC :hug:
kE745HP.jpeg

IXN2AIL.jpeg

MnEuzj5.jpeg

I was a bit surprised that I finished it in just 23 hours, as I pretty much did a completionist playthrough -- besides talking to everyone and chasing every minute task, I also read books, played the board game, pinball machine, and so on (HLTB says 45 hours -- how the fuck?).

Overall, I appreciated the stupid little things in the world (besides the 2mm hole, of course :)). Like
ucUA187.jpeg
and
GFxxk3l.jpeg

I found my build very fun, I maxed Intellect, pumped Psyche, and kept Physique and Motorics low. Logic was my signature skill which I pumped to 11. I also raised all other Intellect skills to at least 7. Additionally, my Volition, Inland Empire, Empathy and Suggestion were at least 6.
The conversations in the PC's head were great... It almost felt like I was sleepwalking through the world arguing with myself.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I was a bit surprised that I finished it in just 23 hours, as I pretty much did a completionist playthrough -- besides talking to everyone and chasing every minute task, I also read books, played the board game, pinball machine, and so on (HLTB says 45 hours -- how the fuck?).
To see everything DE has to offer ('completionist') you have to play the game more than once. Hence, 45 hours.

Devastator

Learned
To see everything DE has to offer ('completionist') you have to play the game more than once. Hence, 45 hours.
Oh, can't wait :cool:

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I decided to go back to this game despite not thinking about it for the past 2 years at all and my original thoughts become even stronger.

The dream sequence with "Delores Dei" is worth even hundreds of hours of gameplay to get to. Not sure how it changes based on all factors, but playing someone genuinely slowly fixing themselves and getting lost in that experience only for that conversation to strike you down isn't something you'll find in any other game.

This is a game where there's no point in getting into arguments about if it's an RPG or not, if it's "woke" or not (although the people who say that are retarded). I genuinely feel bad for those who let their stubbornness deprive them of this, or those who don't get sucked into the hard-hitting portions of this game, even if the comedy can carry the game on its own.

Writers went through this shit, there's no other way you can conjure up these scenes without that.

I would never add it to a list of my favourite RPGs because playing this did not feel like a game, not in a bad way, it really is one of a kind. Many games are believable, a monkey could write a believable story if you just start them off with the words "Socratic Method" (Tells you a lot about the writers in BioWare, etc.). However, I haven't played a game and don't think there's one that's this unflinchingly realistic.

I think it's time to do a fun, physical dumb brick playthrough next time

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Need a game about my life perhaps in this genre but VR. ATM, my beard has icicles on it because it’s freezing out here. At least the freezing rain and sleet has abated. I wonder why this game wasn’t put on ios?

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Just started playing this and I'm incredibly impressed by the presentation. All elements are a work of art.

Havent played enough to comment on the rest of it yet, which I will later, but just wanted to say what a pleasant surprise this is already. This is the first time I can remember being really engaged by whats going on in a non-combat video game in years.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I decided to go back to this game despite not thinking about it for the past 2 years at all and my original thoughts become even stronger.

The dream sequence with "Delores Dei" is worth even hundreds of hours of gameplay to get to. Not sure how it changes based on all factors, but playing someone genuinely slowly fixing themselves and getting lost in that experience only for that conversation to strike you down isn't something you'll find in any other game.

This is a game where there's no point in getting into arguments about if it's an RPG or not, if it's "woke" or not (although the people who say that are retarded). I genuinely feel bad for those who let their stubbornness deprive them of this, or those who don't get sucked into the hard-hitting portions of this game, even if the comedy can carry the game on its own.

Writers went through this shit, there's no other way you can conjure up these scenes without that.

I would never add it to a list of my favourite RPGs because playing this did not feel like a game, not in a bad way, it really is one of a kind. Many games are believable, a monkey could write a believable story if you just start them off with the words "Socratic Method" (Tells you a lot about the writers in BioWare, etc.). However, I haven't played a game and don't think there's one that's this unflinchingly realistic.

I think you can classify it in boring terms as an RPG with an adventure game feel, there's easily enough RPG in it - apart from there being hardly any combat, of course. But even the combat that exists, although there's only a tiny amount, is impressively done, hugely immersive, depends solidly on prior choices, etc., and IIRC the devs themselves said they want to have more combat if there's a sequel. It's not the sort of combat system you can casually wander around and have trash fights with, but that should be a positive for most of us here.

The whole ending sequence from interrogating the old commie, through meeting the weird creature, to the combat climax is absolutely enthralling, it elicited for me one of the strongest instances of a sense of "presence" (of "being there" in the story and the virtual world - the step beyond immersion) I've ever had in any videogame.

I hope it's not a one-off and the creatives most responsible for the way the product ended up get to make another game.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
But even the combat that exists, although there's only a tiny amount, is impressively done, hugely immersive, depends solidly on prior choices, etc., and IIRC the devs themselves said they want to have more combat if there's a sequel. It's not the sort of combat system you can casually wander around and have trash fights with, but that should be a positive for most of us here.
And exactly why I don't get burned out by this game. I don't have to spend a long time reading every case in the ledger or reading books which would drag the game out if I'm not in the mood, less than any other game I've ever played. Hopefully they can keep that while adding "combat".

The whole ending sequence from interrogating the old commie, through meeting the weird creature, to the combat climax is absolutely enthralling, it elicited for me one of the strongest instances of a sense of "presence" (of "being there" in the story and the virtual world - the step beyond immersion) I've ever had in any videogame.
This can be extended if you go for the old commie right after the tribunal, last ~5 hours some of the best I've ever experienced.

Sometimes I'm sad I can't love this game.

It's always in the back of my mind that maybe I just didn't *get* it. Maybe I'll give it another try.
I already enjoyed everything before the point I mentioned, but when the game hits on a personal level I could never recommend it to anyone because I'm aware how bias I will be.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

on the contrary, it's rather morose and magically resolves the conundrum of who killed by simply having the killer be someone nobody's interacted with before - in a detective story...
planting a 'motive' in him via some fucking alien grasshopper mindwaves was plain insulting and I hope whoever enjoyed it dies

on the contrary, it's rather morose and magically resolves the conundrum of who killed by simply having the killer be someone nobody's interacted with before - in a detective story...
Imagine playing Disco Elysium and still thinking its a detective story first and foremost, although I'm not surprised everything about the game flew over your head.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Imagine playing Disco Elysium and still thinking its a detective story first and foremost, although I'm not surprised everything about the game flew over your head.
i'm just too intelligent to enjoy this tripe

Yosharian

Arcane
He is polish to be fair

Viata

Arcane
First they did everything to call this game a detective RPG, despite not being an RPG. After accepting it was not an RPG, they are trying to wonder if it's not a detective game too kek

Sometimes I'm sad I can't love this game.

It's always in the back of my mind that maybe I just didn't *get* it. Maybe I'll give it another try.
Eh, I am a massive storyfag and didn't really get blown away by Disco Elysium. It was enjoyable enough for my one and only playthrough. There were some great moments. I made my character into a crazy fascist who sees the supernatural behind every other occurrence. The game represents and parodies fascist and supernatural mindsets quite well.

Maybe I would have a bit more positive view of it if I replayed it now, but I just can't be bothered. At the end of the day, I enjoy the time-tested formula of heroes and villains more than this philosophical, somewhat tragicomical, work.

Terenty

Liturgist
The quality of writing is of such a high level that it really felt like an interactive novel.

Not some shitty Visual Novel, or choose your own adventure type game, but actually an evolution of literature, where you could interact with a novel, while reading it. That's how I felt playing it at least.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
The quality of writing is of such a high level that it really felt like an interactive novel.

Not some shitty Visual Novel, or choose your own adventure type game, but actually an evolution of literature, where you could interact with a novel, while reading it. That's how I felt playing it at least.
read better books kid

Harthwain

Magister
Eh, you guys focus too much on writing. I mean, I get it. It is amazing, it is funny and encourages you to see more of it. But to me what made Disco Elysium great is the same thing that made Troika games great: character building. Depending on what stats you go for you will have a different experience (not on the Critical Path™, obviously, but exactly the same thing can be said about any other narrative-driven RPGs). I just can't overstate how important is the removal of any out-of-character information via stats is and how it's tied to the reactivity. To me this is the epitome of being an RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom