Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Cohesion

Scholar
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Was the text too challenging? You got tired and couldn't read the last two sentences of my message?
We get so many retards thinking Disco Elysium promotes communism than you looked like yet another one. The game doesn't really "pull the punches" on communism. In fact, it's pretty straightforward about it from get-go.
Can we agree that disco is a good cyoa (adventure) game? And main theme isn't about politics at all. Quest for Glory had more RPG elements than Disco (+combat). Still great game.

Harthwain

Magister
Can we agree that disco is a good cyoa (adventure) game?
no.png

And main theme isn't about politics at all.
Still, politics plays a major role in the game. Enough to fill the shoes of alignment in other RPGs. Only with much more impact in this case, as pretty much everything is filtered through political alignment (or, in some cases, the Thought Cabinet). I do agree, however, that politics doesn't work the way the common Disco Elysium's detractors think it works.

Quest for Glory had more RPG elements than Disco (+combat).
Disco Elysium doesn't simply have RPG elements. It was made from ground up to be an RPG (and built off of the actual homebrew PnP RPG system). You can't say the same about any game that just happens to have RPG elements.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
https://www.wilsoncenter.org/about
You're too far gone bro.
>Washington Post
lol, lmao
Yes, we know that while criticizing Chernobyl we can only use Soviet sources provided by the Soviet authorities themselves.

Because obviously Soviets were known for transparency, openness and publically owning their own mistakes.

Retard.
>Posts the western equivalent of Soviet propaganda mouthpieces
>Views them as legitimate sources
>Calls someone else retarded
You're not as smart as you think you are potato bro.
I posted two sources: a letter from KGB chief and an article from a local Ukrainian journalist from before the disaster. Both stating the same thing: there were numerous construction failures during the building of Chernobyl nuclear plant.

Yes, both sources were posted in the West (and translated from Russian) by Western organizations. I don't see how exactly this could work differently. The letter was confidential in the Soviet Union and the newspaper article suppressed after the initial publication.

Understandably, Soviet authorities were not know for boasting about their failures, especially after disasters that resulted from said failures.

I'm not sure what exactly are you sperging about. The Chernobyl disaster is a fact and unlike Fukushima it was not a result of a natural cataclysm of epic proportions. Hence, the reasons were of a more human nature.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
"Investigations faulted lapses in safety and oversight, namely failures in risk assessment and evacuation planning.[8]"

I guess 'reasons of human nature' only discredit the respective economic and political system when it is convenient for them to do so.

Laz Sundays

Educated
People who call Disco an isometric rpg are to be blamed for the dissonance. You're the ones putting emphasis on being punctual when it comes to genres. So why are you then bitching at others when they load up Disco - which you described as isometric rpg - and they see a visual pointclicky novel instead. With strong rpg elements, sure, huge part of it is c&c roleplay but it's still not eligible to share the same tag with Fallouts, Icewinds, etc.

Make up your mind already. If tagging matters so much then stick to it all the way.

Laz Sundays

Educated
"What's Disco Elysium?"
"Isometric rpg."
"Like old Baldur's, Fallouts and such?"
"Umm, no."

?

KVVRR

Learned
The game has nothing to say about centrism/moralism beyond sneering.
I'm not too sure about that, for me it feels like moralism is by far the political faction that was portrayed in the the worst light through the game. While every other of the 3 political thoughts seem to be made in a jokey fashion, even if dressed in sad or pathetic colors, the moralist thought doesn't do that. It's dry, calling people who believe in it as not having any personal beliefs, and the mere thought of any deviation as a child playing with a toy that must be reprimanded. Nothing is wrong in the world, and nothing is evil about moralism. God is in his heaven. Finishing every political quest rewards you with the world or yourself changing because of your actions; but not the moralist quest. The only reward for correctly finishing that one is a game over screen.
Maybe it's portrayed like that because it's the only faction that genuinely, truly won and it's currently ruling over the place. They're the ones supposed to be making things better and it's obvious they aren't; thus the game doesn't pretend like they aren't holding the entire city down at gunpoint 24/7. Everyone else lost, got shot in the head or fucked off.

Laz Sundays

Educated
"What's Disco Elysium?"
"Isometric rpg."
"Like old Baldur's, Fallouts and such?"
"Umm, no."
If people know what Baldur's Gate is they probably know about Planescape Torment.
Sure, I'd call Disco the true spiritual successor to Planescape. Highlighting its uniqueness. But you can put PS:T in the same basket with others for obvious reasons, while DE is an entirely different beast.

Last edited:

Vormulak

Learned
Edgy
Was the text too challenging? You got tired and couldn't read the last two sentences of my message?
We get so many retards thinking Disco Elysium promotes communism than you looked like yet another one. The game doesn't really "pull the punches" on communism. In fact, it's pretty straightforward about it from get-go.
Can we agree that disco is a good cyoa (adventure) game? And main theme isn't about politics at all. Quest for Glory had more RPG elements than Disco (+combat). Still great game
It's not a game, doesn't have any gameplay.

Vormulak

Learned
Edgy
People who call Disco an isometric rpg are to be blamed for the dissonance. You're the ones putting emphasis on being punctual when it comes to genres. So why are you then bitching at others when they load up Disco - which you described as isometric rpg - and they see a visual pointclicky novel instead. With strong rpg elements, sure, huge part of it is c&c roleplay but it's still not eligible to share the same tag with Fallouts, Icewinds, etc.

Make up your mind already. If tagging matters so much then stick to it all the way.
DE doesn't have choice and consequence in any meaningful sense, you can complete the game by mindlessly selecting dialogue options and skipping all the text. Also the game only has a single ending.

Laz Sundays

Educated

DE doesn't have choice and consequence in any meaningful sense, you can complete the game by mindlessly selecting dialogue options and skipping all the text. Also the game only has a single ending.
So even more reason to not call it "iso rpg"

9ted6

Educated
Disco Elysium is a love story (or rather an aftermath of one), not a political statement of any kind you retards.
When the game is almost universally praised on reddit and much of that praise involves how progressive and hardcore leftist it is you might wanna reconsider.

I know reddit's retarded but we're also talking about a game made by literal Marxists. They can't all be misunderstanding it. Politically the devs said the commie path is the best one. Socially the conservative religious faction is the worst and made out to be even more evil than the fascists. You can't tell me they're not trying to say something.

Laz Sundays

Educated
Disco Elysium is a love story (or rather an aftermath of one), not a political statement of any kind you retards.
When the game is almost universally praised on reddit and much of that praise involves how progressive and hardcore leftist it is you might wanna reconsider.

I know reddit's retarded but we're also talking about a game made by literal Marxists. They can't all be misunderstanding it. Politically the devs said the commie path is the best one. Socially the conservative religious faction is the worst and made out to be even more evil than the fascists. You can't tell me they're not trying to say something.
You are looking at old european ideology through modern western eyes. It is not the same. There is a mountain of difference between developers and their modern western audience. It is only looking like it's the same thing on paper. Older generation had more awareness and taste. European commies are nowhere near the western ones. Metalhead chicks in Europe look EXACTLY like ultraliberal neofeminsts. But the difference is mindblowing. It is a proof of decline? But it's simply not a valid proof that the game is an agenda-heavy Panderverse. I played a goddamn noir detective without a single problem, superficially amusing or using the politics and ideology of others to get the info I need. Was only truly interested in the Pale, the Rave, and solving the goddamn case. At no point did the game try to ruin that experience.

I used racist lines to get to the Lorry driver. Game allowed me to explain it's an interrogation tactic (another thing that modern leftists are unable to fathom, while we're at it), warned me that if I stared at the abys too much = the abys will blablablah. Kitsuragi understood it, game understood it and we all moved on.

As a natural Human can-opener, I dug through said Kitsuragi's dialogue and found out he's a homo. Game allowed me to never mention or refer to this ever again.

There was no instance of ANY of the leftist tropes being forced on me. Every trace of it was suggested, not demanded or forced. I was the only peacock looking clown in the game, due to ludicrous hobo wardrobe, walking around. Maybe we can call that one a flaw? Who gives a fuck. Game's linear in story and in progress, but it is a great fucking ride. Transparent dialogue, one of the best dialogue systems ever created.
THERE IS NO LEFTIST PANDERING. THERE IS LEFTIST OPTION BUT ONLY A LEFTIST WOULD SEE IT "EVERYWHERE" CAUSE THEY'RE FUCKING CLICKING ON IT.

Last edited:

Laz Sundays

Educated
By all means, anyone here on the Codex, take the challenge:

Find one example where the game has forced you into choosing a leftist trope. One. Find it, post it, pics or gtfo

Last edited:

ind33d

Educated
By all means, anyone here on the Codex, take the challenge:

Find one example where the game has forced you into choosing a leftist trope. One. Find it, post it, pics or gtfo
i took more damage from saying "cock carousel" over and over than from the final boss

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
If you claim any of the cuckservative bullshit, all it says about you is that you purposefully went out of your way and dug deep to find tongue in cheek jokes, and purposefully went along that path not focusing on anything (same way you can do with others). Must be something deep inside you, you're coping about what you are, in reality way too insecure about yourself.

I played that game as a drug addicted retard who likes to have fun and has his heart ripped out, and that really was the meat of the game. Unless I count telling Garte about the cock carousel or occasionally funny lines about fascism. And ofcourse, Letterhead's race theory.

Been a while. Last time I was in this thread, ZA/UM still existed.

Good(?) to see some things don't change.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom