Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disciples 2 Gold

Ladonna

Arcane
I will try that demo, thanks Krafter.

Who knows? But I have AoW Shadowmagic sitting here in a box, I will head over to that if D2 demo doesn't grab me.

Oh, I also have MnM9 here in a box too....

Its really that bad eh? Only payed two bucks for it, but that might be two bucks too many.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I had fun with M&M 9. It's horrible, but if you like building characters Wizardr 8 style you might find a few ounces of fun in it.

Also, use a walkthrough. This can't be stressed enough. Without one you might walk into dozens of bugs and dead-ends.

Crichton

Prophet
I played through the dwarven campaign and liked it. I then played through the dwarven expansion campaign and that was good too. I tried playing with humans, couldn't be bothered and uninstalled. The level-grinding is annoying, developing hero/squadie combinations is fun, but it doesn't take long to figure them all out. Due to character progression bullshit secondary heroes become fodder about halfway through the campaign. The "rod" mechanics are also annoying. The art is indeed pretty. So it's good for one playthrough if you like one of the races. I bought it in that "Fantasy Six Pack" with Prince of Qin, primarily to get PoQ. Disciples II turned out to be better, but that's not saying much.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Ladonna said:

Who knows? But I have AoW Shadowmagic sitting here in a box, I will head over to that if D2 demo doesn't grab me.

Its really that bad eh? Only payed two bucks for it, but that might be two bucks too many.
There are fan patches available for it that fix some things. I don't have the link handy ATM, but you should be able to find it relatively quickly by googling for it.

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
cutterjohn said:
Ladonna said:

There are fan patches available for it that fix some things. I don't have the link handy ATM, but you should be able to find it relatively quickly by googling for it.
http://aow2.heavengames.com/

Krafter

Scholar
Crichton said:
I played through the dwarven campaign and liked it.
The Dwarven campaign was my favourite, of all races and all expansions. I'm a cold weather freak, and I loved turning the ground into snow and ice.

I apologize in advance for linking IGN, but I found some Disciples III talk :
http://pc.ign.com/articles/804/804984p1.html

IGN said:
Akella -- taking over development from series creator Mistland South -- showed off a tech demo of Disciples III at the Barker Hanger at this year's E3.
Series creator Mistland South? Nice job, IGN! :lol:

Raapys

Arcane
HoM&M 3, with the expansions and the unofficial Wake of Gods fan-made addon( .exe hacked, so lots of improvements/changes over the already excellent stock game ), is easily the best game of its kind and one of the best games period.

After that I'd put Lords of Magic SE, then AoW, then Disciples at the bottom. Disciples simply doesn't have anything good to offer compared to the other games.

Dominions is a neat game, but it's aimed at multiplayer and it shows.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Raapys said:
HoM&M 3, with the expansions and the unofficial Wake of Gods fan-made addon( .exe hacked, so lots of improvements/changes over the already excellent stock game ), is easily the best game of its kind and one of the best games period.

Did anyone ever manage to beat the Campaigns in Wake of Gods? They are fucking impossible.

AZ

Liturgist
In my list Dominions3 and Dominions1 are the first, MoM is the second and then comes Lords of Magic SE and Lord of the Realm 1. Disciples 2 has very nice hand drawn gfx, but it gets boring quick as others said. Dominions 3 has very sophisticated ai so it is pretty good as a single player game.

Raapys

Arcane
My issues with Dominions is the complete lack of interaction with the AI, and the rather shallow empire/area management system. More buildings would definitely beef things up. The spell stuff in the game and the unit interaction is outstanding, though.

Masters of Magic is excellent, but I sort of view it as a rather different game than the others mentioned, because of the whole 'civilization' aspect.

Was Lords of the Realm 1 better than its sequel?

AZ

Liturgist
I played LotR2 first when it was released and I liked it pretty much, but I downloaded the first some time ago and realized it is a better game. I even liked the gfx style better, somehow everything looks much more "well made".

cutterjohn

Cipher
D2:G's gameplay mechanics were just too simplistic, or at least I think that is my problem with the game. I did the usual play the hell out of it right after I first got it. Or, IMO IOW it can be a fun game for a while, but also can become boring as the gameplay options are limited, and the AI is not very good.

Like I mentioned in my longish post about it, I think that it's been a helluvalot more fun if they had increased the complexity of the game mechanics via more building, unit, better AI, resources, etc. options.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom