Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Die Hard Game Fans want the Nameless One to stay dead

Annonchinil

Scholar
The cosmology of PS is where the setting actually takes place.

Mackerel

Augur
^
My thoughts as well.

J1M said:
In this thread we learn about false dichotomies. The planescape fanboys would have supported you even if you posted the real maps for Eberron. Who doesn't want to visit the plane of Salt, amirite?
So that isn't the world map of the Eberron setting I posted?

GarfunkeL said:
I call your map and raise with this:
I still prefer the original poster map, but that one is very well drawn.

deuxhero

Arcane
"their own god awful creation of Eberron"

Funny, because WoTC didn't make it.

Eberron is good (nothing stops more than one setting form being good does it?). Now Forgotten Realms (particularly with the post spell plauge)? That is bland (or at least what get's used is).

Phelot

Arcane
I liked Forgotten Realms when it deals with the dales and especially the Moonsea. Otherwise, it is kind of bland...

My favorite by far is Ravenloft and I'd like to see a (modern) game made of it though they'd probably make vampires look like Twilight and have black people in Barovia

Coyote

Arcane
I was wondering that as well. The latest update I could find on their forums was yesterday from one of the writers; his post seems to indicate that they're still working on it. There was also a release of some more screenshots and an interview at the end of October, so at least some concrete progress was being made 1.5 months ago.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
I always though Planescape was the cosmology of everything Eberon included. Well everything except Dragonlance. I can judge Eberon because I haven't given it a chance but just from a marketing glance it has nothing on the popular 2e settings and it doesn't have the history and lore of the Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance. That synopsis didn't do Wotc's incompetence its due justice because it didnt even mention Atari. A 3D PST mutiplatform Bloodlines style RPG would be too sensible for Wizards. If they brought back PST I would expect a WOW copy cat that doesnt sell

Ch1ef

Scholar
denizsi said:
Likewise with Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky and all those involved in all of your favourite games. They used up their spells and now they're gone for good. Mourn them, but don't be idiots. The spell is over. Better hope somebody else with the same kind of magic will show up at some point (we're looking in your direction, VD) again.
4df2a6e2f5a66f33f8d19471d480.jpeg

hakuroshi

Augur
Eberron and Planescape have one thing in common: any shit possible in DnD setting can be found there somewhere. That's the principle of both settings. Except PS does in more imaginative way IMHO. Eberron feels like a huge pile of rubbish - you can find a plenty of good things there, but overall it's very unfulfilling. It's good for pure adventures though.

As for the topic - let Nameless One sleep. Any new games on the setting may be interesting.

D&D 4th has basically shit on every D&D gameworld. Now they all have to fit into what's in the 2 PHBs (yeah not even one anymore. And probably another on the way) as core rules every little contented feat whore requires to feel entitled.

They shot Forgotten Realms 100 years into the future so they could shoehorn in those Dragondudes and Warforged and Tieflings as opposed to each D&D world having some unique shit.

The current joke is how they are gonna manage to make the metal robot ghostman Warforged fit on Dark Sun without them being looted since metal is like uber rare and vastly sought after.

See, in 2nd ed D&D we had Planescape, Ravenloft (praise be its name!), and Spelljammer to explain how your Kender was traipsing around the Keep on the Borderlands with a Samurai and a walking Triceratops man whose language is scent based and was good friends with the cannibal Halfling.

Now apparently because its CORE RULES every new "bad ass" race and class in the PHBs have to fit in every world even if they don't make any sense and then shit up the novels which make more money than the RPGs do anyhow.

(There are people who only read the novels. I know folks like this. In some cases they are ex gamers who just like the worlds in the books. In others they have never gamed at all and maybe never will.)

But current D&D is just kiddie powergame uber build shit. Roleplaying isn't exactly encouraged anymore.

Which makes it a shitload like the MMOs lots of people claim 4e is anyhow.

But of course it says D&D on the cover so its automatically BEST SELLING RPG IN THE MARKET.

J1M

Arcane
Captain Rufus said:
D&D 4th has basically shit on every D&D gameworld. Now they all have to fit into what's in the 2 PHBs (yeah not even one anymore. And probably another on the way) as core rules every little contented feat whore requires to feel entitled.

They shot Forgotten Realms 100 years into the future so they could shoehorn in those Dragondudes and Warforged and Tieflings as opposed to each D&D world having some unique shit.

The current joke is how they are gonna manage to make the metal robot ghostman Warforged fit on Dark Sun without them being looted since metal is like uber rare and vastly sought after.

See, in 2nd ed D&D we had Planescape, Ravenloft (praise be its name!), and Spelljammer to explain how your Kender was traipsing around the Keep on the Borderlands with a Samurai and a walking Triceratops man whose language is scent based and was good friends with the cannibal Halfling.

Now apparently because its CORE RULES every new "bad ass" race and class in the PHBs have to fit in every world even if they don't make any sense and then shit up the novels which make more money than the RPGs do anyhow.

(There are people who only read the novels. I know folks like this. In some cases they are ex gamers who just like the worlds in the books. In others they have never gamed at all and maybe never will.)

But current D&D is just kiddie powergame uber build shit. Roleplaying isn't exactly encouraged anymore.

But of course it says D&D on the cover so its automatically BEST SELLING RPG IN THE MARKET.
There are two PHB for 3.0 and another two for 3.5.

Warforged can be made almost entirely out of wood.

Perfect Fool

Scholar
I loathe franchise rape. Fallout's was messy and unpleasant to witness and now Darksun's getting bent over and straped down for a thoughough shafting by the Wizards... I can't wait for Dragonborn, Eldren and Warforged to turn up on Athas, not to mention the shit they're bound to pull with Half Giants, 'kreen and Muls. I expect one of the first updates will be how the gods, fey and demons made their blundering way to Athas again to allow Paladins and Warlocks to exist. Fuck them. Fuck them all. With a chainsaw.

It's going to be a complete clusterfuck.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
J1M said:
Captain Rufus said:

The PHB2 isn't part of the core rules in 3rd ed, though.

Also, warforged are dumb.

Azarkon

Arcane
denizsi said:
For fuck's sake, stop living in the past. I cringe everytime I see someone "if only Avellone did it, of only that guy was involved or this guy was the producer". Avellone is finished. Just like Spector, Molyneux, Garriot and many others before him. What do all of these people have in common? They all became designers/developers for kids' games after they had their moment under the spotlight. He can't ever produce anything as good again, even if he owned SEGA. He had his shot, he took it and it's over. Practically he's an old fart now, as the only thing that separates him from a real old fart is merely a measurement in time. Likewise with Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky and all those involved in all of your favourite games. They used up their spells and now they're gone for good. Mourn them, but don't be idiots. The spell is over. Better hope somebody else with the same kind of magic will show up at some point (we're looking in your direction, VD) again.

I don't know. I'm still holding out for Chris. It's true that he's past his prime, but he did make KOTOR 2, and some of the companions in MoTB, so he's not a one-shot man. Good writing and interesting characters is good writing and interesting characters. He doesn't have to make another PST. He just has to do better than the average developer.

I mean, Gaider's still chucking along, isn't he? I can't quite say that Gaider's writing has improved since the days of BG 2 but he's still maintaining that level. If Chris can maintain his level in KOTOR 2 and/or MoTB, I'd be satisfied.

J1M

Arcane
Xor said:
J1M said:
Captain Rufus said:

The PHB2 isn't part of the core rules in 3rd ed, though.
Care you revise that statement so it actually makes sense?

Also, as far as a new race goes, warforged are pretty cool. Certainly better than "tall human" or "short human" or "half human, half X" like most of the races. They are completely integrated into the Eberron setting and it's a shame they don't make as much sense in other ones, but if you don't like them then as the DM you can just exclude them.

Zebranky

Novice
Torment absolutely does not need a sequel.

Settings and rulesets don't have to go hand in hand. Planescape is an excellent setting.

Purgatorio is still being worked on. Finishing it will be a challenge. We're doing what we can.

Simple sentences are easier to write.

Kron

Arcane
Planescape: Torment must be of the few things left to be raped, after stuff like Fallout, X-COM, the Divine Comedy, and pretty much everything else got horribly defiled.

Its only a matter of time...

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
I hear they're going to try turning Lord of the Rings into a movie. Shit's gonna fail so haaard...

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Captain Rufus said:

Hmmm.... What's a Warforged?

* google image search *

:rage:

kris

Arcane
PorkaMorka said:
Captain Rufus said:

Hmmm.... What's a Warforged?

* google image search *

:rage:

LOL indeed. Also fuck you for making me make that search.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
WTF is that rend in the map in Baator 5º layer?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom