Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls Did Bethesda fuck Obsidian or not?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh fuck off with your bullshit you deranged cunts. Obshitian has shoved game killing bugs into both games for which I preordered a collectors' edition. Bethesda was never this bad. Nevermind that people do bitch about Bethesda bugs, both on and off the codex.

Seriously? I've run into bugs with every Bethesda game - it's kind of their thing.

Of course it is, but the issue was which one is worse. And from my experience, it's Obsidian by a mile.

And one could barely get Skyrim to work on the PS3 for more than hour before it shut down. It'd wipe your saves. It'd glitch up quests. Loading screens would hang. And, sometimes, it just wouldn't work. All that happened with NV's PS3 version repeated itself in Skyrim two-fold over because it was an even more complicated game. Also, Bethesda gets a total pass on their bugs from critics and many consumers alike. Bethesda ain't the only company to skirt beneath the radar with broken games. Few years ago, I sat and read how Empire: Total War was a 95%/perfect/A+ game only to buy it and find a game so utterly broken I blacklisted not only gaming "journalism", but also Creative Assembly altogether. If you consider a broken or barely functional game getting near-perfect scores "bitching" then there's a large issue of semantics here.

Serves you right for playing PC master race games on a PS3. :smug: Also, I'm not sure why you think Bethesda gets a pass on bugs. I looked up several reviews of FO3 and NV and in both the bugs are not considered a big deal and just get a passing mention. Then again I only got to the gamespot review before I stopped reading this shit in disgust. All the reviews seemed to be cocksucking parades and the authors get basic details wrong, as if they don't play anything for more than a couple of hours before writing their reviews.

Nobody's saying Obsidian didn't have agency in their own decision making. The point is did Bethesda as a business try and fuck over Obsidian because they could, and the answer is obviously yes. The Metacritic shenanigans were just a cherry on top. Bethesda did what it wanted to do as a business and if it wasn't Obsidian it would've been someone else because the FO-franchise was at its peak in popularity. I think we can accept that a business can both look after its interests and behave shittily in doing so - it's not really a black and white issue.

Except it wasn't shitty behavior (unless they paid metacritic to lower the score, which would require actual evidence before someone makes the accusation). Most likely the requirement was there to protect the franchise's reputation.

Bullshit. NV is glaringly lacking in exploration. FO3 OTOH has a ton of sizable "dungeons" to explore. NV is primarily a storyfag game, which isn't really what I'm looking for in these types of games.

Well it was just an opinion, but one that many people at least do hold.[/quote]

It's not an opinion, I've played both of them to death and explored virtually everything there is to see in each. FO3 has a ton of dungeon crawling while NV has very little. This is objective fact. The only thing that's subjective opinion is which one is better. I don't see why a storyfag would like FO3 better since the main story in Fallout 3 is atrocious.

DeepOcean

Arcane
It's not an opinion, I've played both of them to death and explored virtually everything there is to see in each. FO3 has a ton of dungeon crawling while NV has very little. This is objective fact. The only thing that's subjective opinion is which one is better. I don't see why a storyfag would like FO3 better since the main story in Fallout 3 is atrocious.
This is a question of opinion but give me Vault 11 every day than all that ruins filled with generic raiders.:smug:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
So? Just because it's retarded doesn't mean it didn't happen. FYI publishers have often enough in the past screwed over devs royally in ways that are borderline criminal. Oh and it's not about game sales but Metacritic average. You can quite easily gimp the latter without affecting the former. What's a few extra Doritos to some game portal reviewer to mark down F:NV just enough so it goes below the 85% threshold when compared to the bonuses that would have needed to be paid? A company could make a very simple cost v benefit analysis of skewing scores by just 1% and come up that sales wouldn't be affected at all, but x dollars would be saved.

Having said all that, I personally think that Beth didn't bother skewing scores, but just acted like a bunch of cunts in not paying the bonus anyway. Even M$ in internal policy documents where I work, has in place a system where rules and contractual obligations can be altered in order to give a party the benefit of services even if we are not obliged in writing to do so in order to generate good will and better long term relationships.

Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I'm far from Obsidian's biggest fan, but the whole Metacritic deal seems a wee bit fishy. It's not hard to imagine a Bethesda bean counter running some sort of regression analysis (gotta use those b-school skills for something...) where they calculated the relationship between Metacritic percentage points and sales revenue and found that a drop below the bonus score threshold would have been a financially sound move and then acted on it.

Thing is, Beth isn't starved for money. While keeping the bonus might be worth more $$$ immediately, it's not worth doing anything to harm their golden goose's image. They'd have to be really short-sighted.

All they had to do is not put in any effort on the marketing.
This IMO is why some games undeservedly got glowing reviews to the realms of 9.0 and above

What's a few extra Doritos to some game portal reviewer to mark down F:NV just enough so it goes below the 85% threshold when compared to the bonuses that would have needed to be paid? A company could make a very simple cost v benefit analysis of skewing scores by just 1% and come up that sales wouldn't be affected at all, but x dollars would be saved.

What's that bonus compared to a lower score for one of your golden gooses...geese...ducks? Yes, a simple cost x benefit equation could possibly show that paying 300 doritos for some reviewers to give the exact score you want is mathemadjumacally better than paying Obsidian 1000 doritos for a high score, but to Beth those doritos are chump change. Their strength is the "Fallout" brand, it's in their best interest to keep them scores as high as possible (just like every other publisher).

All they had to do is not put in any effort on the marketing.

They did put less effort into NV's marketing, but because it wasn't top priority like FO3.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Mastermind said:
(unless they paid metacritic to lower the score, which would require actual evidence before someone makes the accusation)
Why is this the only claim on this page that requires a burden of proof?

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
Don't see how Bethesda screwed over Obsidian. Are publishers under some obligation to provide bonuses for contract agreements that haven't been met? Would the lack of royalties per copies sold for New Vegas (as opposed to a one-time payment) be considered that uncommon, given the fact hat Fallout is Bethesda's intellectual property and not Obsidian's?

RK47

Patron
"If you can fuck and suck these 9 out of these 10 executives without cumming, you get a big bonus, Ian. I bet you like that don't you?" grins the middle-aged woman as she caresses Ian's bare buttocks. She drew a deep breath. She's starting to regret this gig.

"I know you're desperate for work. Willing to sell out, whore yourself away for a mere pittance. Some fans may look at this as a betrayal, y'know. You're just glad you got some money coming in but deep inside I know you hate yourself for doing it, Ian." a slight tug on the nipple draws a gasp from the helpless woman.

"Beth, please..." Ian begged. No such mercy. Beth shushed her with a finger to the lips.

"And at the end of it all, everyone's gonna ask, did I ever fuck you over.. or not?" a pair of fingers invaded her nether-regions, its rhythm driving Obsidian to the peak quickly, shivers turned to a violent jerk as her primal scream filled the room, signalling the release.

"Alright boys, come in and get it!" Beth opened the door to the journalists. IGN, Gamespot, RPS, Kotaku, all of them rushes in to get the first exclusive preview. The smell of Dorito fills the room. Extra cheese.

The night is still young when Ian rides her third cock.

Hours later...

"Hnnnnnghhh.....unnnmmg," she has to hold it in. It's the ninth... Just.. one more. Geoff Keighly, however is not gonna let her go that easily. Dorito-stained fingers put a death-grip on her shoulders, pushing her down on the cock she sucked earlier. She can still taste the Dew.

"Just one more, Ian... can you hold it in?" Beth smirked, caressing her sweaty back playfully as another grunt fill the room.

The room cheered her on.

"Ian, Ian! IAN! IAANNN! IAANNNNN! WE LOVE YOU OBSID-IAN!!!!!" the waving palms turned to claps as Keighley struggles to keep his load in. He can't possibly give her the ninth. Beth will cut off that Skyrim preview if he does. Suddenly, he turned towards Beth and gave a nod. Beth knew what to do.

Just. A little. More. Ian is on the brink, she knew Keighley too, is at his limits. Winner takes it all... It.. it feels.. HER ASS! WHO?!! Who's doing that?! Nobody said about two at once?!

"Beth! Aaarhnnnnhnhnghhhh.. how could you...." she gave a pleading glance.
"Sorry, Ian. Looks like...there'll be....." Beth gave her a simultaneous tug on her already erect nipple. Critical hit.
"AAIIIEEEEEEEEAEEEEAAA I'm CUMMINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!! AHHHHHHH!!"
"..CUMsequences."

The whole room gazed at her.
She was in heavan.
The last thing she saw was Beth's smiling face, withdrawing a cum-soaked finger from her pussy before succumbing to the fatigue.

Last edited:

RK47

Patron
It was hours before she woke up.
Her whole body was sticky, covered in Dew - but for some reason a gray blanket was put over her allowing her some warmth.
Her vision's blurry, but at least it was all over. Yes, it's all over. She didn't get the bonus. She has to let go some of her staff. She cried.

"Umm, ma'am," a voice called out from the darkness.
"Uhhn... yes? Are you the janitor? I'm so sorry. I'll... I'll get dressed and go."

She rolled around, fumbling for her clothes, palm coming into contact with the powdery Doritos' particles.

"No, ma'am. We're.. uh.. we're actually late to the preview. We're from RPGCodex," mumbled the man.

The End

dextermorgan

Arcane
Yes, a simple cost x benefit equation could possibly show that paying 300 doritos for some reviewers to give the exact score you want is mathemadjumacally better than paying Obsidian 1000 doritos for a high score, but to Beth those doritos are chump change.
I don't know what the actual bonus amount was but it stands to reason it was in a six zeroes range. So, I (Bethesday) can either pay million(s?) or hand out a couple of $10,000 bribes, or even call in a favor without paying anything (remember that people in question are already on Bethesda payroll).

Decisions, decisions.

Athelas

Arcane
The conspiracy theories about Bethesda bribing people are silly, yes, but you have to be a moron to think that AAA publishers aren't favored over companies like Obsidian. For instance, games like Oblivion and GTA IV get 9's and 10's and are declared perfect. Later, their respective successors, Skyrim and GTA V, are released and they also receive 9's and 10's, with the justification that these games improved upon the flaws of their predecessors. You know, the games that got perfect scores upon release with no mention of those flaws. New Vegas is the odd man out because it's a sequel that is actually much improved and from a different company with far less resources. If New Vegas had been widely declared as showing up Bethesda, I imagine it would be quite an embarassment.

dextermorgan

Arcane
It's not that your arguments don't have merit, they do. However, when you put together a marketing powerhouse, an aggregation site that doesn't exactly have a stellar record of transparency, and various "critics" who are sucking on the said marketing's tit for a living, and have a possibly multi-million dollar amount at stake.... If the score was hovering around 85% to begin with, all it would take to sink it below the threshold is to exclude one or two favorable reviews from the calculation - the scenario is far from implausible.

Which is what I was originally posting about, plausibility.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What's all this hogwash about bribery? Bethesda didn't need to bribe anyone. As told by Brian Fargo, they moved Obsidian's release date up on them, resulting in a buggier game, resulting in lower release-day scores. Bam, that easy.

Ninjerk

Arcane
What's all this hogwash about bribery? Bethesda didn't need to bribe anyone. As told by Brian Fargo, they moved Obsidian's release date up on them, resulting in a buggier game, resulting in lower release-day scores. Bam, that easy.

STOP MAKING SENSE

Don't see how Bethesda screwed over Obsidian. Are publishers under some obligation to provide bonuses for contract agreements that haven't been met? Would the lack of royalties per copies sold for New Vegas (as opposed to a one-time payment) be considered that uncommon, given the fact hat Fallout is Bethesda's intellectual property and not Obsidian's?

Not uncommon at all but that particular subject hasn't really been called into question.

Except they can't control the metacritic score to that degree of accuracy.

Considering MetaCritic is not transparent and practically nobody knows how it works as they don't reveal their algorithms or the rationale behind choosing the reviews to factor into scores, you are awfully eager to pretend that you do know. Where we can not even know the mechanics behind it, nobody can even claim how open to influence if not direct business deals MetaCritic may or may not be.

Living in the real world and having some perspective over how it works would favour the former as everything is built around money. Transparency = death of business. Non-transparency = anything could happen and it's quite very likely that it's already happening.

If you think they are able to have precise control over exactly what metacritic score it receives you are not very bright.

Ask yourself: if you are a business holder, would you willingly go into a contractual bind to spend more money than necessary without any return value to you or preserve that money based on a platform that you don't even know how it works?

Now ask yourself again, this time like this: would you willingly go into a contractual bind with another business holder, to give them more of your money than necessary without any return value to you or preserve your money based on a platform that you don't even know how it works?

If you said yes to either, we can only hope that you are not a business holder as you likely wouldn't survive a single fiscal year.

If there was even any evidence that Bethesda was rigging the metacritc score to avoid paying a bonus Obsidian would be able to sue the shit out of them. For the full bonus and then some.

And lose the good graces of one of the highest profile contacts in the industry who also gave them a high profile job that also happens to be a personal dream come true for them? That's not how business world works, son. You are not very bright. I hope your ability to write a wall-of-text isn't deluding you.

As much as people like to think that the game reviews are bought there has never been much evidence of straight up payments for scores happening.

Get back to the real world, some time. Publishers buy ads on gaming news portals and pay for accommodation and entertainment of their game journalists in return for high scores. There are enough examples of how not adhering to that model ends for journalists: getting scolded if not fired. It is actually quite very common knowledge with recent examples. If that is news for you, just you wait until you find out about the private connections between publishers and game journalists eg. how being a loyal and faithful game journalist on a leash can eventually result in a new job at your favourite publisher or game developer. Just ask Pete Hines or Emil Pagliarulo for the nearest examples to Bethesda themselves.

It is more tied to access to exclusives and advertising revenue.

And where do you think the advertising comes from, genius?

And the level of leverage that gives publishers isn't within the range of dictating exactly what score the game will receive on metacritic.

Oh no, not "exactly" but close enough.

They certainly didn't pay off metacritic as was suggested here

Oh so now you know for certainty. I would like to get to your source.

(Think about how metacritic is valued and makes it's money

Indeed, indeed. You just think about it. Think about how MetaCritic has become a reliable tool for publishers to use in contracts while not offering any transparency into its inner workings. Think about why a publisher would willingly use a non-transparent tool of uncertainty in a deal where they seek to exert influence over a game's design in order to minimize uncertainties and maximize profit? How does that make sense? Is it that they feel adventurous every now and then? Think about my previous questions above. Stuff to think about, indeed.

And Bethesda did spend lots of money and marketing effort on New Vegas.

They did? I have to say that it wasn't shoved down my throat the same way Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim were everywhere I turned my gaze to. To give credit due, FNV didn't get the abandoned bastard child treatment other titles published by Bethesda did, like Dark Corners of the Earth, Star Trek or Rogue Trooper or whatever the shit it was called.

I don't know if you were paying attention when the game was being developed but it received plenty of coverage and attention.

So did Minecraft. Does that mean now that Notch spend lots of money and marketing effort on Minecraft? I think you are confused about what "spending lots of money" and "marketing effort" actually means.

The fact that New Vegas got a 84% is not a result of some conspiracy.

Oooh, "conspiracy", got them fancy words. LOL. It's just fucking business as usual, son. Nothing conspiratorial about it. You just need to man up and face the real world.

Not paying a bonus for a condition that wasn't met is not fucking someone. Deciding not to give a bonus anyway because they got close is not fucking someone(although I agree that doing so would be a nice gesture). Not offering them a great deal is not fucking them.

Making scores determined by a non-transparant and non-cooperative rating platform a condition is. Why would Bethesda give a fuck about scores if it still sold in millions? They wouldn't. And they don't.

It seems to me like it is a normal developer publisher deal.

And that is precisely the point. Publishers basically have a monopoly on the money and thus, they exert power on the conditions to lend their money. And that is their right. It's just business. It becomes sketchy when they start using sketchy methods such as MetaCritic to maximize profits.

I'll leave it here and just quote myself from earlier in the thread to hammer it into your head, as the rest of your post is rubbish, devolving into an effort to put Obsidian in a negative light quite irrelevantly to the subject at hand, though it's worth pointing out that in the case of NWN2, it must have sold well enough that it warranted two big and one minor expansions well after release when it's a lucky day if any game at all gets any. Oh and this last bit:

Sounds like a sweet deal for developers but not exactly a fair deal for Publishers. Because Publishers need the massive profits from their successes to offset all their games that lose money or don't make much money. You know, games like Hunted: the Demon's Forge.

Oh, them poor publishers! This is just too funny.

This is like someone rushing to the defence of 21st Century Fox and using Fox News as a source to back his data.

It is a callous code of conduct to follow, imposing an article in a contract that ensures a bonus payment on an external condition as fickle and opaque as fucking Metacritic which isn't even transparent or communicative nor does it retain any reliable level of standard regarding the quality of the reviews chosen to rate a game and for anyone with the slightest clue about the state of "game journalism" and how deep big publishers' fingers goes in game journalists' anuses, you can bet Bethesda had at least some influence, direct or indirect, in the result. Also considering that Obsidian doesn't get any cut or revenue from the game which we know sold at least 5 million units (plus DLCs), the most anyone can claim in favour of Bethesda is that they were lawful on the surface and suffer no repercussions for they are the guys running the game. Otherwise I have serious doubts regarding the lawfulness of such an article in a business contract under legal scrutiny but that is games industry for you. Regressive and underdeveloped.

So, did Bethesda fuck Obsidian or not? Consider this:

A game sells "poorly", as in not in millions of units, but the publisher still profits and they can the IP and disband or fire the devteam even if the game is a critical success. Just another day in the business. Win-win for publishers.

Another game sells great, as in millions of units, and the publisher profits massively but the publisher has it setup just so that they don't have to pay a fraction of the profits as a bonus to the devs for the game's success because they had this article in the contract to rely on critical scores determined through some convoluted and non-transparent process by a shady third party . Devs are bereft of money they deserve. Win-win for publishers yet again.

So when it seems like it is always the publishers who get to decide what is an acceptable parameter to measure success and when, to the point of self-contradiction and hypocrisy, a question such as yours lose all the fucking meaning in the world. Then the only question that remains is this:

Are you fucking with us, darkpatriot?

Last edited:

hiver

darkpatriot whiteknighting bethesda....

and all he says comes down to "i dont think they did it because... thinking they did seems crazy to me".

of course they bloody did it.

Bethesda fucked Obsidian hard, like most publishers do.

But OP also sucked Bethesda's Cock :smug:

We need a new thread titled "Did darkpatriot suck Bethesda cock or not?"

Actually for a while I suspected that he might be Pete Hines himself. Used to be a time he posted here, after all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom