Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo: The Hell 2

stunner345

Novice
I would play TH2 or TH3. New versions are coming every few weeks and I think it is the only Diablo 1 mod which keep the atmosphere of the original game. Belzebub was fun for one playthrough, but ultimately plays more like Diablo 2 and I am not convinced on the Tchernobog mod. The newly integrated "Spellblade" character class was an abomination and the gameplay is too far from the original.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
The main thing that makes me want to play TH1 over the others is the lower number of classes. I don't like the overly specific classes in TH2 and 3.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I haven't even looked at TH3, what is so special about it over TH2 final patch?

stunner345

Novice
It's basically roughly the same as TH2 with more Quests (they work in multiplayer now), a few more character subclasses, new monsters and a few quality of life improvements like better description of damage and armor calculations etc... It is a work in progress though and you can probably safely play TH2 instead for now.
I think the Devilutionx mod has opened up a lot of mod potential for Diablo and maybe someone is working on mods which doesn't alter the gameplay as crucial als TH2 and TH3. I would also like to play a more purist mod like TH1 with a few of the quality of life enhancements and stability.

Is there anything interesting to TH2? I've been wondering if its even worth making the jump from TH1 to TH2.

Talking about that, I've gotten back to playing The Hell and started out a new game as an Assassin recently. Currently just finished the first level of Hell, DAMN that was hard.

Some KKKs:
- Assassin is neat, good melee AND good magic. Being able to use two 1h weapons at once really ups the damage potential. The only weaknesses are the fact Assassins are clearly delicate and suck at bows (but who cares).
- Assassin feels like a class which starts a bit weak, relatively speaking. You need to go a bit above and beyond to unlock magics early on. Best early spell is probably Holy Bolt, especially if you end up rolling The Skeleton King quest. In my case I was super lucky and got a staff of Holy Bolt 80/80 before doing it, I pretty much Dr. Manhattened the hell out of King Leoric (came super in handy later on in the Chamber of Bone, too). I might have been a victim of RNG tho, because took me some time until I got Firebolt.
- The way to go with an Assassin is to, assassin-like, slowly-but-surely lure out the opposition from their hiddey holes (its the hardest to detect class due to smaller Light Radius, btw, use that), and take the enemy apart by detail. If a mob is coming to rush you, wipe out the chaff from afar with the appropriate spell. Keep hitting and running, only stop if you know you got it. Prioritize: Ranged/Uniques > Faster Enemies > Slower Enemies. A trick I use is to lure out the faster ones, use terrain to kill them first and only them engage the ranged ones, while ignoring the slow chaff as much as possible.
- Never face Uniques in anything but 1v1.

- I have an impression the way to go with Assassin is either two sword-class weapons or sword-and-club. The latter is better for zones with lots of undead, it might be to go between Leoric's Tomb and Chamber of Bone. After Chamber of Bone, I went double daggers/swords and never looked back. By the time I hit the caves, I don't see much worth in whaling on the undead, they are such meat shields you're better off just holy bolting them and avoiding the hassle.
- Your melee damage is going to go from "lol" to "carves Uniques like Turkeys".
- I have rarely been using Fury. Maybe its just me, but feels useless for such a delicate class. You're better off using all that -dfm. I actually don't have the spell yet.
- Is Sunless Sea even possible for an Assassin? I tried and even a single Rogue just 2-3 shoots my girl. And there's lots of them, fuckloads, even if I stack like 66% ranged dmg absorption. My spells and arrows don't do shit.

Lmao I got bitchslaped by ONE (1) Magister in the Hall of Anguish. Not even a unique, just... a dude.

Staying far from it gets me fireballed (sucks), getting close to the guy gets me Flash'ed (near-instant HP loss to zero).
At least I think I know how to hurt him now.
Very mana-dependent dungeon, alright I got a cool unique amulet from the Warlord of Blood.
Fag wants a mage duel, he will get his mage duel.

Update: Killed Magister.

Didn't kill the Dark Mage after him, I just lost him in the place after running around and trying to mana-recharge. I think the fucker is Lightning AND Fire Immune, or at least Lightning I think... zapped him a bunch of times to no seemingly effect.

Then I got killed like an idiot by a bunch of Blood Witches lol, should have cast Heal a second before instead of another Charged Bolt.

Bringing more potions next time.

Spells are definitively the way to go here. Melee anything seems like a good way of just getting hammered by Blood Stars in your face.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Those side quest areas are always more deadly than main levels.
Can't get additional XP/stuff when everythig obliterates you.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I went the mage route and boy did i go through so many golems and hydra (or w/e that spell way). I also used a bow at times and spammed arrows wildly at time but there are areas that just flipping suck. I think I quit at hell difficulty on him. After this mod, most others were boringly simple.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom