Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
This has single player queues?! I remember experiencing queues in WoW, but in a single player game? And people are OK with that?
Not a single player game though. It's an MMO, you play with other people whether you group or not (except when soloing in dungeons).

Is there no singleplayer mode?
No, there'll always be other players in the open world (which you enter after the prologue). Very few though, to be fair. If you're in a hub you'll see a few people. Out in the wild, not so often.

I haven't been bothered by it so far. I disabled chat boxes (and chat in general). And so far there's no ridiculous cosmetics (only a matter of time though).

:what:

:betrayed:

This game is going to be monetized to hell and back.

Even indies have soloplay modes.

Hubs only exist to advertise paid cosmetics.

This is such ridiculous decline from Blizzard. I was on the fence about this game, but fuck whoever removed singleplayer.
I guess you also never played D3 so I guess you do not know that singleplayers didn't exist since D3. Better to say, you have to be always online to play D3.
Think console peasants got the ability to play offline in d3.
The pre-expansion ultimate PS3 edition is the best version of the game too. Fixed loot, paragon levels, no level scaling, OG difficulty + Monster Power system. D3 can't get better than that.

abija

Prophet
Can't blame people for complaining about writing and using rose tinded glasses. Yeah Bliz never had good writing, but older games didn't shove it in your face trying to create cinematic experiences.

abija

Prophet
There's tons of stuff like that in D3, from the random events to the huge amount of background dialogue.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Exactly. Somehow everyone remembers DI and II, but just about no one can name a single memorable line/moment from DIII off the top of their head. Curious.
I only remember Templars line, "but will of a templar is stronger" but mostly because it felt cringy at first.

But for me nothing can top "Ah, fresh MEAT!".
It's version in 3rd and 4th games are ridiculous and shows new developers didn't know what made that line so famous.

Also I can't believe I remember most of this, couldn't remember any poet in high school back then ...

I can see what you see not.
Vision milky, then eyes rot.
When you turn, they will be gone,
Whispering their hidden song.
Then you see what cannot be,
Shadows move where light should be.
Out of darkness, out of mind,
Cast down into the Halls of the Blind.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
Having played both the first game and the second one back to back recently I can confirm that the second game lost the atmosphere and ambience the first one had but this series never had good writing. You're so wrong that you're specifically wrong about the game knowing what it was. Instead of a straightforward plot that would have served the minimalist format, like Robert E. Howard would put together, it's very convoluted and the game is filled with these lore dumps that are badly written.

I didn't say it was good, I said it knew what it was and I stand by that. There is an objective evil, the hero comes and vanquishes the evil, the end. The lore dumps weren't any more convoluted than learning about the decline of Xuchotl in Red Nails, nor did they detract from the core premise of the narrative, unlike Blizzard's current attempts.

Edit: In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have mentioned Howard. Diablo is nowhere near Howard's literary level, even if both utilized simple, tried and tested narrative concepts to great effect.

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
Exactly. Somehow everyone remembers DI and II, but just about no one can name a single memorable line/moment from DIII off the top of their head. Curious.
I remember some short lines, some exchanges but not exact words, plenty of moments.
(not including the commonly spammed dialogue).

Mazisky

Magister
I don't know why people expect good writing from USA gaming companies.

Average writer in US gaming companies is a pink haired teenager with no experience.

Zeriel

Arcane
In any case, a fat dude, no matter how strong fat he appears, doesn't exactly scream "I live in nature" to me, unless he's about to go into hibernation instead of gearing up to smash some demonic hoe. A druid should be whipcord and rawhide, not jello over triple marbled steak.
Not sure why someone living in nature wouldn't have some fat on him?

Druid design was great. I'm tired of the sterotypical lean, buff dude. While some men do indeed look like that, a ton of men carry fat on them and it's not due to a lack of discipline, it's due to body composition. In general, having some fat on you aids in your overall performance.

What? Someone living in nature would be more likely to be lean. Have you seen people who subsist entirely on hunting & wilding? Not exactly portly types. Hell, even just people who work nonstop all day without gorging themselves or having a modern diet (especially alcohol) tend to be rangy.

If you wanna lose weight, best way is to work a job or live a life where you are constantly doing something. Just so long as you don't bust your back and joints in the process, heh.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
To be fair, this was a series where writing was always bottom of the barrel mediocrity.

D1 had decent writing, especially the tomes in dungeons voiced by the narrator.

Yeah D1 was more than acceptable. D2 was really lame though. Cinematics were decent, but the in game writing was just reddit levels of inanity. I get it's an action game and the writing doesn't matter, but some of the NPC dialogue was just bland beyond belief.

Yosharian

Arcane
In any case, a fat dude, no matter how strong fat he appears, doesn't exactly scream "I live in nature" to me, unless he's about to go into hibernation instead of gearing up to smash some demonic hoe. A druid should be whipcord and rawhide, not jello over triple marbled steak.

Druid design was great. I'm tired of the sterotypical lean, buff dude. While some men do indeed look like that, a ton of men carry fat on them and it's not due to a lack of discipline, it's due to body composition. In general, having some fat on you aids in your overall performance.

What? Someone living in nature would be more likely to be lean. Have you seen people who subsist entirely on hunting & wilding? Not exactly portly types. Hell, even just people who work nonstop all day without gorging themselves or having a modern diet (especially alcohol) tend to be rangy.

If you wanna lose weight, best way is to work a job or live a life where you are constantly doing something. Just so long as you don't bust your back and joints in the process, heh.
I think sometimes people forget how difficult it is to put on tons of fat when you don't have access to shitloads of junk food at your local supermarket

The only fat cunts in old times were rich people who got others to feed them all the fucking time

Zeriel

Arcane

I think sometimes people forget how difficult it is to put on tons of fat when you don't have access to shitloads of junk food at your local supermarket

The only fat cunts in old times were rich people who got others to feed them all the fucking time

In my personal opinion it's the empty calories. Like alcohol is a BIG one. Just having a few drinks after work is equivelant to having multiple extra meals if you look at the calorie intake. It's easy for a person to know that eating a bunch of extra candy/snacks after meals will put on the weight, but we don't think of all the drinks the same way, and it's a lot easier to knock down some soda or beer & shots with a full stomach.

So yeah, there's the old, OLD stereotype of fat drunks because... well, drinking alcohol does make you fat.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned

Well, the Barbs are equally "unrealistic" in that regard, the difference being that the Barb physique actually fulfils some people's fantasies and fits right into the pop culture image of the class established by Frazetta and Arnie, among others.

The Druid fulfils the fantasy of a meaningless portion of the general audience and doesn't have any pop cultural grounding.

Zeriel

Arcane

Well, the Barbs are equally "unrealistic" in that regard, the difference being that the Barb physique actually fulfils some people's fantasies and fits right into the pop culture image of the class established by Frazetta and Arnie, among others.

The Druid fulfils the fantasy of a meaningless portion of the general audience and doesn't have any pop cultural grounding.

I think the issue may be it conflicting with the druid archetype. There IS a thing where "shifters" as a general rule are big and musculey. But druids also have as the package deal a paganistic "wise man" aspect to them, which has more of a lean-bodied aesthetic. If they wanted to go this route they probably should have just made it purely a shifter rather than both.

Although I think the old D2 style fits more, since another thing you often see with shifters in fiction is their normal form being way less impressive compared to the shifting, it's a form of contrast. If you're already a big bear of a man without shifting, is it really that special, etc?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I enjoyed Diablo 2's story more than it probably deserves, and Marius was the main reason. It might be an old tool to ground your earthshattering fantasy events by shackling them all to a ragged old man, but by God the contrast between that and D3's marvel superhero universe is stark.

You gotta have Marius, because nothing of what happens in the game is horrific if he's not there to be horrified by it.

That's why D4's direction seems promising. The drunken partying with slightly off-key violin into you getting slooooooooooooowly (very slowly - surprising patience in the cinematic direction for a modern aRPG) hauled off to your doom on an old rusty cart by the very people you just saved and had merriment with stands out as a key memory, and anyone praising D1 and D2 writing over that scene is clearly playing favourites. Had that scene been in those games, we would all have been praising its atmospheric horror to the high heavens in this thread.

All D4's quest generally involves this theme; that the questgiver is lying to you about his motives and is actually a greedy bastard exploiting the other NPCs involved in the quest, and sometimes they actually make that fact cheekily apparant from the start. The one quest about the dude who gets flayed alive by a succubus and loves it is pretty cool, and there were lots of moments I actually remember despite only playing the beta once.

In contrast, I literally couldn't remember basic details like main character names after playing D3. It's funny that apparantly the old dude with the cool D4 intro, Lorath, is a character from Diablo 3 - I had no fucking clue despite playing Reaper of Souls recently.

HOWEVER, it's not all sunshine and roses. Chiefly, the characters kind of blend together despite them wanting Lorath to be that memorable main character besides the hero - the new Deckard Cain if you will - I doubt that will succeed despite the voice actor trying very hard. He's just a grumpy old man so far. While Vigo's story was tragic, he's certainly not a character I found myself forming a connection too. And the most concerning is, of course, Neyrelle, who is a better version of Leah, yes, but she's still Leah. A cheeky scholar-type go-getter has nothing to do in the Diablo universe. It reeks of Marvel and Whedon, and her character undermines the horror they try to instill with her mother's fall.

In a more "we'll have to see"-perspective, Lilith and Inarius' dynamic could both play out well or be exactly the type of modern Blizz Hollywood tripe we know them for. There are signs pointing in both directions currently.

So yeah, whereas I am extremely underwhelmed by the gameplay thus far, I am cautiously optimistic about world and story. I think they did a fantastic job with the aesthetic presentation, and atmosphere seems promising as well, even if there are concerns.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane

I think the issue may be it conflicting with the druid archetype. There IS a thing where "shifters" as a general rule are big and musculey. But druids also have as the package deal a paganistic "wise man" aspect to them, which has more of a lean-bodied aesthetic. If they wanted to go this route they probably should have just made it purely a shifter rather than both.

Although I think the old D2 style fits more, since another thing you often see with shifters in fiction is their normal form being way less impressive compared to the shifting, it's a form of contrast. If you're already a big bear of a man without shifting, is it really that special, etc?
I think it is just a matter of showing players at glance which characters are melee/tanking focused and which ones are not. When you are doing 4 man or 12 man event is helps that you tell fast and at a glance.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I enjoyed Diablo 2's story more than it probably deserves, and Marius was the main reason. It might be an old tool to ground your earthshattering fantasy events by shackling them all to a ragged old man, but by God the contrast between that and D3's marvel superhero universe is stark.

You gotta have Marius, because nothing of what happens in the game is horrific if he's not there to be horrified by it.

That's why D4's direction seems promising. The drunken partying with slightly off-key violin into you getting slooooooooooooowly (very slowly - surprising patience in the cinematic direction for a modern aRPG) to your doom by the people you just saved stands out as a key memory, and anyone praising D1 and D2 writing over that scene is clearly playing favourites.

All D4's quest generally involves this theme; that the questgiver is lying to you about his motives and is actually a greedy bastard exploiting the other NPCs involved in the quest, and sometimes they actually make that fact cheekily apparant from the start. The one quest about the dude who gets flayed alive by a succubus and loves it is pretty cool, and there were lots of moments I actually remember despite only playing the beta once.

In contrast, I literally couldn't remember basic details like main character names after playing D3. It's funny that apparantly the old dude with the cool D4 intro, Lorath, is a character from Diablo 3 - I had no fucking clue despite playing Reaper of Souls recently.

HOWEVER, it's not all sunshine and roses. Chiefly, the characters kind of blend together despite them wanting Lorath to be that memorable main character besides the hero - the new Deckard Kain if you will - I doubt that will succeed. He's just a grumpy old man so far. While Vigo's story was tragic, he's certainly not a character I found myself forming a connection too. And the most concerning is, of course, Neyrelle, who is a better version of Leah, yes, but she's still Leah. A cheeky scholar-type go-getter has nothing to do in the Diablo universe. It reeks of Marvel and Whedon, and her characters undermines the horror they try to instill with her mother's fall.

So yeah, whereas I am extremely underwhelmed by the gameplay thus far, I am cautiously optimistic about world and story. I think they did a fantastic job with the aesthetic presentation, and atmosphere seems promising as well, even if there are concerns.
One of the better characters there is a side quest one. A female priest that does exorcisms where faith as a whole has given up and just burns possessed at the stake. Whole thing is told through multiple side quests and I think it is done well as it links with other side characters that gave you completely different quests in different part of the map.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Biggest disappointments are Strongholds because once you free them there is nothing going on there, they are just another place to sell loot if you are close by.. and at best they unlock access to another dungeon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom