Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Diablo 3 still has that old Diablo feeling

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
1eyedking said:
The bleed effect is just ridiculous. Awesome in its spectacle, brilliant in its execution. It works like this: Diablo III’s monk class plays as if he’s stepped out of God of War, or any other console brawler. If he chains three punches in quick succession, he can set up a finishing move. One is a flashy flurry of strikes like something from the Pokemon cartoons – zipping through the air and hitting everything in range. You could finish your flurry with one epically violent slap – knocking your target backwards with full force through the scenery.

As one demon dies, another rushes in to take his place – it’s Whack-a-Mole played with two mouse buttons and a warrior of unholy fury. Every creature gets a slap, a tickle and a stomp. Unless you want to be really, really clever, which is where the bleed effect comes in. Use this attack, and as a creature bleeds, it takes damage, its health bar ticking away to nothing. And if they die with the bleed still effective, they explode. The destruction is vicious, hilarious – a tsunami of gore. If you set two, maybe three bleeds running, you can time a chain reaction. Bubble Bobble, played with bile and bones. Diablo III is already gloriously, stupidly violent. It’s already brilliant. But it won’t be out until at least 2011.
Dear God, is there no end to this dumbfuckery?
Diablo 2 was stupidly violent, and a clickfest, but I could handle it and enjoyed it. Diablo 3 looks cartoony and WoW-like, typically the new Blizzard look, so I'm hardly excited for this. If the other "improvements" they're flaunting are in the vein of that time-limited escape thing in OP post, then the game's definitely gonna be shit.

Severian Silk

Vagrant Story had chained attacks too. It wasn't one of the features I disliked.

DarkUnderlord said:
The bleed effect is just ridiculous. Awesome in its spectacle, brilliant in its execution. It works like this: Diablo III’s monk class plays as if he’s stepped out of God of War, or any other console brawler. If he chains three punches in quick succession, he can set up a finishing move. One is a flashy flurry of strikes like something from the Pokemon cartoons – zipping through the air and hitting everything in range. You could finish your flurry with one epically violent slap – knocking your target backwards with full force through the scenery.

So... what part of that is "that old Diablo feeling"?

BLOBERT said:
BRO CANT YOU DFUCKING READ THEY WROTE ABOUT CONSOLE STUFF THIS SUCKS AND THEY MENTIONED GRITTY MATURE OH WELL I GUESS YOU MIGHT A WELL SUCK ON BLIZZARDS COCK IF YOU SWALLOW THIS LOAD YOU GUYS ARE NO BRIAN SURGEONS>>>>>!??!!

Really? Sounds more like the opinion of one persons preview than hard evidence. But you go and take it for gospel written in stone if that is what makes you happy. Diablo has always been very violent and was never famous for deep and complex gameplay.

MisterStone

Arcane
Look mayn, Blizzard just wants this shit to be fun, OK? If it's not fun, it doesn't go into the game. Slamming the shit out of a huge mob of monsters is fuckin rad, man. You just boot that shit up, and it's POW, everything on the screen just explodes n shit. All this shit about character builds, working with a team, clicking on individual targets is fucking nerd bullshit. Go paint your little wizard figures, dweebos.

poocolator

Erudite
Yeah, I can't see how it's going to be much fun trying to pick up loot killed monsters drop, a la Diablo 1/2, when you've got a time limit to get out. Unless monsters don't drop the same amount of loot in the same fashion as the originals... which basically destroys the whole point of the game for me.

MisterStone

Arcane
Don't worry, I'm sure all the treasure that the monsters drop will automatically accrue in a floating magical pouch that follows you everywhere you go and sucks up all of the items, arranging them for you by value or overall quality. The pouch will also give you hints and casting healing spells on you if you get below 30% HP.

aboyd

Liturgist
Emotional Vampire said:
DarkUnderlord said:

So... what part of that is "that old Diablo feeling"?
The assassin class in Diablo 2 had exactly the same mechanism -- hit 3x and you've set up a finishing move. So that's similar. And there was in fact a monk class in the D1 expansion, so that's another similarity. Also, the gore is very similar to Diablo 1 -- in it, there were torture chambers with bodies cut in half littering the floor, Satanic pentagrams, bloodied sacrificial altars, etc. That might have been in Diablo 2 also, I don't recall. And in Diablo 2, there is a bloody/gorey explosion effect you can get when killing certain enemies -- red splatter across the battlefield. So the Diablo series is to my mind disturbingly bloody. I wouldn't let my kids play until they were quite a bit older.

So far what I've seen isn't too far off from the earlier games, with one exception. I was fully on board back when it was first announced and everyone complained about the rainbows and bright landscapes. My memory of Diablo is of something far more gothic and sinister. I really liked the changes people make to the screenshots, showing what a "real" Diablo game should look like. Other than that, thus far, things seem great.

Lurkar

Scholar
aboyd said:
So far what I've seen isn't too far off from the earlier games, with one exception. I was fully on board back when it was first announced and everyone complained about the rainbows and bright landscapes. My memory of Diablo is of something far more gothic and sinister.

Human memory degrades over time.

3kVBe.jpg

We are so very susceptible to nostalgia goggles.

Funny, Im pretty sure he said Diablo, not Diablo 2 LoD.

1002820835-00.gif

Although I think the current one looks fine overall, to be honest. Also, plenty of sections Diablo 2 (particularly act 1) and LoD were extremely dark. Diablo 2 was probably a greater detour from the color palette and atmosphere of the original than the third will be from the first two. Actually, I'm 99% sure about that. The original had incredible atmosphere (particularly the music) that just wasn't quite captured in the second, though it made up for that in other ways.

poocolator

Erudite
Lurkar said:
aboyd said:
So far what I've seen isn't too far off from the earlier games, with one exception. I was fully on board back when it was first announced and everyone complained about the rainbows and bright landscapes. My memory of Diablo is of something far more gothic and sinister.

3kVBe.jpg

OH HOW WITTY. LET'S POST A SCREENSHOT TAKEN AT 500% BRIGHTNESS DERP DERP

Krash

Arcane
poocolator said:
Lurkar said:
aboyd said:

3kVBe.jpg

Actually that's a normal screen with one monster frozen and one poisoned, and magic lighting up the scene a little. What do they teach you in schools these day?

Shannow

Waster of Time
Krash said:
poocolator said:
Lurkar said:
aboyd said:

3kVBe.jpg

Actually that's a normal screen with one monster frozen and one poisoned, and magic lighting up the scene a little. What do they teach you in schools these day?
And it just proves the point. Most people will say that D1 was the most atmospheric and D2 had the better char dev (and gameplay). So D3 is simply making worse what D2 already did badly and whch was the best aspect of D1 (imo). Now before someone starts posting screens from hell in D1, the best parts were the higher church levels and catacombs. And it just happens that colour was rare in those. Rainbows and anime-colour-flashes mixed with WoW graphics simply don't provide a gothic, dark, gritty atmosphere. Hurr, hurr, derp, derp.

aboyd

Liturgist
I concede to those who say that D2 had some very bright moments. In fact, so did D1. But my point was simply that I found the darker material stuck with me, and it's what I appreciated as far as atmosphere is concerned. It's what I would like to see continued. Here is a fairly bright D1 screenshot, but what's interesting to me is that even with all the color from the spell effects, the rest of the playing field is fairly washed out in color, and there's always the Satanic pentagram to remind you of your place. And the bodies on pikes. And the walls made of bones.

d1.jpg

And here is a Diablo 2 screenshot, basically a bloodbath.

d2.jpg

This is what I remember of these games, and what I've seen of Diablo 3 is that it's potentially similar gameplay, but with happy bright shiny environments. I just hope that the art direction goes a bit more gothic before the game is released. That's all.

EDIT: You know what? I still have the PS1 version of Diablo 1, and it works in my PS3. I think I will fire it up right now and play for an hour before bed. Thanks for the inspiration!

reaven

Educated
Was someone expecting diablo 3 to be good honestly ? Come on is post wow blizzard...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom