Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 1 atmosphere - similar games

Zlaja

Arcane
crazy_dave said:
Is it good? Or more of the same?

It adds tons of new content and is much more challenging then vanilla. It really adds to the atmospehere being forced to tread carefully and watch your every step.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Keep an eye on Grim Drawn.
2010-08-23_devilsspurfog_lrg.jpg

2010-07-24_fallingarch_lrg.jpg

dextermorgan

Arcane
Rasputin said:
Parasite Eve? Sure it's by Square, and it's JRPG, but I still remember first day when I saw that rat transformation scene. Don't like to say it, but it was good for what it was.
But atmosphere was very good.

Was this ever released for the PC?

Ermm

Erudite
dextermorgan said:
Rasputin said:
Parasite Eve? Sure it's by Square, and it's JRPG, but I still remember first day when I saw that rat transformation scene. Don't like to say it, but it was good for what it was.

Nope. Also I need to bit correct myself that Vagrant Story is more like Diablo. Parasite Eve is more cinematic and shit, but there were many awesum moments and it is the only genuine horror RPG.

CrimHead

Scholar
Sheeple converge. Diablo killed the RPG. Hack N' Slash is popamole with swords. Everyone in this thread needs to shut the fuck up.

Heechee

Liturgist
How about Harbinger? It's generally disliked here, and for a good reason - it's really just a simple Diablo 1 clone with a space setting (generation ship). But the atmosphere is done -very- well, despite the minimalist approach. It's as dark and bleak as it gets.

dextermorgan said:
Rasputin said:

No, but ePSXe makes short work of it. Probably one of the few jrpgs codexers can play, notable lack of retardo. Sequel is more or less on the same level.

crazy_dave

Educated
Ed123 said:
crazy_dave said:
bert said:
Myth 1 & 2? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_eDwEfus28

Nosferatu Wraith of Malachi?

Already played these.

Seems like i'll have to emulate that ps shit and try it... Hope it won't look horrendously blocky...

Is grim dawn coming out this year??

Thanks guys for all your suggestions, gonna try them out. Keep the ideas coming... :salute:

Nobody knows when GRIMDARKDAWN is coming out yet. I'm also a little concerned about the state of Crate Entertainment's finances, tbh.

Also holy shit someone recommended the Myth games and I didn't notice? :decline:

What's wrong with myth games???

Yeah, i'm a bit worried about grim dawn turning to vapourware. it looks like diablo 3 should... it would be good if perhaps we could get a "new" diablo 1...

What about this one?

http://games.cinemax.cz/inquisitor/

Is it vapourware too? Maybe i should try to contact wesp and see if he is perhaps willing to make an unoffical translation to english patch. Like he did with russian precursors and white gold. This seems much better... :salute:

dextermorgan

Arcane
Zlaja said:
crazy_dave said:
Is it good? Or more of the same?

It adds tons of new content and is much more challenging then vanilla. It really adds to the atmospehere being forced to tread carefully and watch your every step.

Ok I bit and am playing this now. However, they weren't kidding about the ramped-up difficulty. I need a few tips:

How to prevent running out of money? I'm hovering around 1000 gold all the time and I'm on the first level of Catacombs. Quality item drops are few and far between so my gear isn't up to par and I have to gulp potions regularly and those also drop rarely and cost an arm and a leg.

Also, character building. I'm playing with a Paladin and investing char points in STR and DEX 2:1 ratio. However, STR adds very little to base damage and I'm guessing it's only useful in the long run for satisfying item requirements. DEX seems a bit more useful as it adds to the to-hit chance... When should I begin adding to VIT?

Repairing items... it seems Grizwold no also reduce item durability when repairing them and that's just... WHY?! :x

Oh, and:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng6piDCQ ... 1&index=64 :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom