Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diable - Hell Mod

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yea yea, so Diablo is not really an RPG blah blah blah, but it's fun and those who like CRPGs tend to like Diablo.

Anyway, anyone tried the Hell Mod?
I did, and it was jolly fun untill meeting The Butcher, who has been insanely beefed. He attacks like a machine gun and will kill you in two hits and have 9000 HP!!!

Why can modders learn *moderation*?

Zuikov

Educated
I tried Diablo 1 the other day. People told me it has a nice feeling to it.

Stopped playing after I killed the butcher. The game is just awful with no atmosphere to speak of. There is nothing fun nor anything fascinating about just constantly clicking on sprite monsters and carrying the loot to the shop. Multiplayer doesn't really save these games. Only one of my friends(and I have many friends!) likes diablo clones and hack'n'slash games and he's an idiot. ----> My conclusion is that all diablo fans are morons. Or is there a valid reason these kind of games are so popular?

Monocause

Arcane
Zuikov said:

Stopped playing after I killed the butcher. The game is just awful with no atmosphere to speak of.

Wut? Are we talking about the same game? I remember playing D1 some 10 years ago and it had great atmosphere. I remember replaying it some four years ago and it still had great atmosphere. Much more of it than D2, IMO.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Monocause said:
Zuikov said:

Stopped playing after I killed the butcher. The game is just awful with no atmosphere to speak of.

Wut? Are we talking about the same game? I remember playing D1 some 10 years ago and it had great atmosphere. I remember replaying it some four years ago and it still had great atmosphere. Much more of it than D2, IMO.

This.
The gameplay might be simplistic, but the atmosphere is incredible. Play one of the modern Diablo clones if you want a game with simplistic gameplay *and* no atmosphere.

Zuikov

Educated
Monocause said:
Zuikov said:

For me, good atmosphere doesn't come merely from a dark dungeon with ambient sounds. Part of it comes from the story and gameplay. I can't really feel immersed in a game which has a gameplay largely consiststing of battles which feels more like a shitty sports game(mindless grinding, reflex-based clickfest with very little tactics) and has a story that doesn't feel meaningful at all.

Monocause

Arcane
True that, story wasn't exactly stellar, but it was sufficient. You miss a couple of things:

*Excellent music
*Gameplay that was not about loot and equipment like in D2 but about going deeper and deeper into the lair of the devil.
*Excellent voice-acting (who doesn't remember the "All praises to Diablo..." line or "Abandon your foolish quest..."?
*Combat that was actually difficult, but not to the point of being an annoying reload-fest.

Since there were no respawns, grinding was impossible in D1. And you sound like you played a warrior, try playing a sorcerer. It's harder but more fun, and not so mindless.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Awesome. Did it occur to you maybe that he was talking about the English voice-acting?

Zuikov

Educated
FeelTheRads said:
Awesome. Did it occur to you maybe that he was talking about the English voice-acting?

Yes. It was a poor attempt at humor...I'm just having hard time understanding why diablo is so well liked even here at the codex. Even if it isn't so much about loot and equipment as diablo 2 and others I still don't find much incentive into delving "deeper and deeper into the lair of the devil".

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I still don't find much incentive into delving "deeper and deeper into the lair of the devil".

Dunno, I like it too. It's just a generally well-made game I guess. I can't put my finger on one thing and say: that's why I like it.

SkeleTony

Augur
Diablo 1 had awesome atmosphere. There are some legitimate gripes one could level at the game but lacking atmosphere is not one of them.

Also, while the game may be classified technically as "real time", it is not the sort of 'mindless' real time of, say FPS games and such. Your chance to hit a monster in combat was dependent on your stats/skills.

Just got done playing the Hellfire expansion myself. Found it for a couple bucks at a thrift store.

Silellak

Cipher
Zuikov said:
FeelTheRads said:

Yes. It was a poor attempt at humor...I'm just having hard time understanding why diablo is so well liked even here at the codex. Even if it isn't so much about loot and equipment as diablo 2 and others I still don't find much incentive into delving "deeper and deeper into the lair of the devil".

Out of curiosity, are there hack-and-slash ARPGs similar to Diablo that you DO like? Maybe you just don't enjoy the genre?

Zuikov

Educated
Silellak said:
Zuikov said:
FeelTheRads said:

Out of curiosity, are there hack-and-slash ARPGs similar to Diablo that you DO like? Maybe you just don't enjoy the genre?

I've just recently come to realise that this might be the case. I liked Guild Wars for a while though, even though it's team based and a MMO :wink:

I played Divine Divinity until I got out of the king's castle but slowly I just stopped playing it because I found the world and NPC design quite stupid and combat overly boring. For example the scene where you are forced to slaughter those guards at the palisades and no one(not even the commander nearby) has any idea about what happened.

I wonder if there are any ARPG's similar to diablo which won't feel like I'm working? I've read the reviews of Prince of Qin and Seal of Evil but there is barely no discussion about them ever here. Anyone know if they are actually any good?

Hory

Erudite
It's not a coincidence that people who like Diablo fail even at spelling it right. It's a game for people with no life and no standards. If there was a time in your life in which you found that playing Diablo was an activity more enjoyable than others in which you could have been involved instead, you must have been a pretty big loser at that point in time. I didn't like Diablo even before playing the "true CRPGs", so how clueless can you be to enjoy it?

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Get over yourself, you don't have any more of a life or higher standards because you play 'better' games than Diablo. I bet it's a big comfort to think that, but nah, better forget it man. Games are wastes of time by definition. Stop thinking playing a complex game is somehow less of a waste of time than clicking on shit in Diablo, or worst, somehow makes you less of a loser. Thanks

Durwyn

Prophet
Zuikov said:
I've read the reviews of Prince of Qin and Seal of Evil but there is barely no discussion about them ever here. Anyone know if they are actually any good?
Seal of Evil is SHIT... dunno about Prince of Qin.

Hory

Erudite
Serious_Business said:
Get over yourself, you don't have any more of a life or higher standards because you play 'better' games than Diablo.
Oh, so what you like isn't an indicator of your standards anymore?
I bet it's a big comfort to think that, but nah, better forget it man.
Not really, if I was comfortable I wouldn't rage on a forum.
Games are wastes of time by definition.
Maybe in the retardictionary.
Stop thinking playing a complex game is somehow less of a waste of time than clicking on shit in Diablo, or worst, somehow makes you less of a loser.
Telling me what to do with no argument for why I shouldn't do it anymore is pretty silly. But what to expect from a DIABLO LOVER?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Hory said:
It's not a coincidence that people who like Diablo fail even at spelling it right.

Do you really think that was a spelling mistake and not a typing mistake?

You must really be an even bigger loser than those who enjoy Diablo, since you use your precious time writing about spelling mistakes and which games you don't like.

Hory

Erudite
octavius said:
Do you really think that was a spelling mistake and not a typing mistake?
Yes. E is nowhere near O.
octavius said:
You must really be an even bigger loser than those who enjoy Diablo, since you use your precious time writing about spelling mistakes
Wrong, I was writing about the people making them. You're the one who actually wrote about the mistake.
and which games you don't like.
But which, nevertheless, have an impact on the games that I do like if only because they exist and have a following.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom