Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Devil May Cry

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
As for the game, I know nothing about how it plays, but what I've heard of its mediocre high-school level 'satire' makes me think it'd stretch my levels of tolerance. I can take normal derp, but when it's derp that's trying to shove an irrelevant and unnuanced political message down my throat, it gets annoying. "GUYZ GUYZ OUR VILLAIN IS AN INVESTMENT BANKER, GET IT WEALTHY PEOPLE ARE BAD FUCK CONSUMERISM FUCK DA POLICE!"

The story is indeed very much so. Demon bankers. Evil media corporations. Demon newscasters. The 'good guys' presented as terrorists. The president of the US a powerless puppet in the hand of evil infernal conspirators behind the scenes. It will make you cringe.
It didn't make me cringe. In fact I didn't even think about evil corporations or bankers or good guy terrorists whatever. I just received it as a regular story with characters here and there and plot here and there and what not.

Because I actually read stories in books and watch stories in movies, where such a plot happens regularly.

And because I'm not an edgy fuck.

Granted I've been skipping some cutscenes because the dialogue is boring.

One. of. the. main. highlights. of. the. gameplay. that. people. play. Devil. May. Cry. for. is. ruined.
Yeah and the style system is a really really really gay highlight. I mean it's a cool mechanic, but I don't like how it is designed to be THE measure of difficulty. Difficulty should be designed just like DS or NG - Hard meaning that you can easily die and that you run around at low health. Players SHOULD be forced to vary combos because of tough AI that punishes you for spamming one attack, not for some stupid style meter.

Note I do understand not every game has to be the same and subjective preferences yadda yadda. Unfortunately there are barely any good HnS with good gameplay.. AND even less ported to the PC. So fuck you, Devil May Cry (incidentally, possibly not directed to the latest). Be a more NORMAL HnS so I don't have to run back to Blade of Darkness for my melee challenge.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Judging by the RPS article I linked a few posts up, they were heavy-handed enough that not being able to see the cringe-worthy 'satire' has nothing to do with being an 'edgy fuck' or not, and everything to do with an apparent inability to perceive the blindingly obvious.

Seriously, the only way they could have been more transparent was if they literally plastered 'FUCK BANKERS, FUCK DA POLICE, I WONDER IF ANYONE WILL NOTICE WE'RE SHAMELESSLY RIPPING OFF 'THEY LIVE', THE MAN IS TRYING TO KILL YOU WITH CONSUMER PRODUCTS MAN' right in front of you in huge text... oh wait:

dmci5.jpg

But nah, I'm sure I'm seeing things, after all you read books and watch movies.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I read a book and watched a movie once, and I still think the plot is fucking infantile.
You can make the excuse that the plot in DMC has always been a weak point, and yeah, they have. But the other games at the very least acknowledged this and allowed me to skip the fucking cutscenes if I didn't like it.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I read a book and watched a movie once, and I still think the plot is fucking infantile.
You can make the excuse that the plot in DMC has always been a weak point, and yeah, they have. But the other games at the very least acknowledged this and allowed me to skip the fucking cutscenes if I didn't like it.
You can skip the cutscenes.

FFS.

Judging by the RPS article I linked a few posts up, they were heavy-handed enough that not being able to see the cringe-worthy 'satire' has nothing to do with being an 'edgy fuck' or not, and everything to do with an apparent inability to perceive the blindingly obvious.
That's nice. I'm judging based on actually playing the fucking game.

Codex is a bunch of edgy conservative Stomrfront wannabe fucks.

(I'm not saying the story is anywhere good - like I said I skip a good number of cutscenes. But literally making you cringe? Get real, get off your computer, and go talk to people in real life)

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Oh, skipping cutscenes is the "Back" button, not "Start." I guess it's okay if you didn't know; I myself have a habit of smashing every button/key when I want to skip a cutscene/dialogue.

If you're using a kb+m for a HnS game that throws lots of enemies at you, I feel sorry for you son.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Oh, skipping cutscenes is the "Back" button, not "Start." I guess it's okay if you didn't know; I myself have a habit of smashing every button/key when I want to skip a cutscene/dialogue.
Okay, my bad :oops:
Though why they'd make it backspace confuses me.

Gozma

Arcane
I think DMC1 and DMC4 have generic JRPG stories but DMC3 has such a minimalist story that it basically doesn't exist, there's just a lot of dick and pussy imagery with phallic towers and dickswords and vagina doorways plus super-choreographed action cutscenes that you are supposed to live up to in gameplay.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
That's nice. I'm judging based on actually playing the fucking game.

Codex is a bunch of edgy conservative Stomrfront wannabe fucks.

(I'm not saying the story is anywhere good - like I said I skip a good number of cutscenes. But literally making you cringe? Get real, get off your computer, and go talk to people in real life)

That's nice. I'll keep judging based on what the devs have said, what other people who have played the game have said, and what videos of it have shown me. It's not like this is the gameplay, which you can't fully judge without playing.

Seeing the attempted satire isn't remotely a question of ideology. Neither is seeing how shallow and heavy-handed it is. I've seen almost as many liberals irritated by its 14 year old kid level of thought as I have conservatives. You claim you didn't see it at all, which means you're either being disingenuous or blind.

No shit it's not good, neither was previous DMC writing. The difference is that yes, I do find it more irritating than normal derp when someone is trying to shove a dumbfuck political message in my face. Call me an edgy wannabe nazi maniac if you will, but I prefer a game not intertwined with someone's 9th grade social science paper.

And making someone cringe is a fucking figure of speech. Do you think people are physically shrinking back from the screen every time they encounter something they call 'cringeworthy'? Get real, get off your computer, and go talk to people in real life.

Yeah and the style system is a really really really gay highlight. I mean it's a cool mechanic, but I don't like how it is designed to be THE measure of difficulty. Difficulty should be designed just like DS or NG - Hard meaning that you can easily die and that you run around at low health. Players SHOULD be forced to vary combos because of tough AI that punishes you for spamming one attack, not for some stupid style meter.

That's how it is in other DMC games. When you first beat Cerberus you don't give a damn that you got a C for the mission, S-ranking is just for replays.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I dunno LundB , sometimes I go :) when LPing then I go :( or :mad: and maybe :? at times when things went so right, I'll go :smug: but when I'm surprised I'd go o_O if it's very prosperian, I usually just go :hmmm: if things get too stupid to bear, I usually go:rage: and if i knew the update will troll my audience I'd go :troll: and if it's too much to take I usually :what: and take a step back. Of course, if the game sucks dick and I had to slog to an even shittier ending - I'd go :x .

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Seeing the attempted satire isn't remotely a question of ideology. Neither is seeing how shallow and heavy-handed it is. I've seen almost as many liberals irritated by its 14 year old kid level of thought as I have conservatives. You claim you didn't see it at all, which means you're either being disingenuous or blind.
I didn't say I didn't see it. I just said it doesn't bother me. (A) Because I've seen it enough already and (B) I don't care about the choice of theme of the story, but the quality of the writing. And I already agreed that the writing is bad.

The difference is that yes, I do find it more irritating than normal derp when someone is trying to shove a dumbfuck political message in my face. Call me an edgy wannabe nazi maniac if you will, but I prefer a game not intertwined with someone's 9th grade social science paper.
Well that's nice, perhaps you'll gain some more happiness when you stop letting little things like this bother you. The writing is bad because the writing is bad, not because it uses a theme you dislike.

Granted I missed the part I originally quoted where the criticism of the political message is that it is 'unnuanced' so I have half an argument.

And making someone cringe is a fucking figure of speech. Do you think people are physically shrinking back from the screen every time they encounter something they call 'cringeworthy'?
Yes, it is a figure of speech, a hyperbole. And I hate (<- only a minor exaggeration) the rampant and extreme hyperbole that goes around these forums. It takes away from reasonable discussion. Nobody in real life throws hyperboles around all the time or I would punch them (<- not a hyperbole).

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Okay, my bad :oops:
Though why they'd make it backspace confuses me.
Er I dunno if it's Backspace on the keyboard. It's the "Back" button on the controller. Or if it is backspace on the keyboard, that's probably why - lazy guy links 'back' to 'backspace.'

Are the KB controls configurable?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I actually do make faces at the screen when I see something disagreeable. I'm emotional.

I think DMC1 and DMC4 have generic JRPG stories but DMC3 has such a minimalist story that it basically doesn't exist, there's just a lot of dick and pussy imagery with phallic towers and dickswords and vagina doorways plus super-choreographed action cutscenes that you are supposed to live up to in gameplay.
Every moment between Lady and Arkham is awful melodrama.

Gozma

Arcane
Hah, I completely forgot about that. I was thinking of the setting which they are happy to not explain at all.

Rpgsaurus Rex

People actually pay attention to setting/story in DMC? You gotta be kidding me.

How about writing and characters in Guitar Hero?

LundB

Mistakes were made.
ITT we learn that Volrath thinks the original Unreal Tournament is shit.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
People actually pay attention to setting/story in DMC? You gotta be kidding me.

How about writing and characters in Guitar Hero?
I hate this fucking argument. Yes, people pay attention to story and characters in DMC. Because it is in the game and if it is good or at least decent, the game is better, more interesting. Would it be better if there were no story at all, just levels one after the other, and you wouldn't control a character, just a faceless figure?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom