Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Developing a blobber/Dungeon Crawler

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
So, it's been months since I worked on anything video-game like. What was going to be my next project is something I have 0 passion for working on right now.

Conversely, this has been a good time for AI art. The blobber genre especially, since it only requires static images, means you can basically make a good looking game with virtually no artistic talent.

The only limitation is that the wall texture generator for a 2d game (https://grindalf.itch.io/dungeon-view-maker) has a fairly low resolution limit. Not a huge deal but does kind of cramp my style. I don't want to have to learn a new engine or how to do 3d in gamemaker, so it'll have to do.

My main inspirations are Elminage: Original and Infinite Adventures, which I consider the best overall modern blobbers. They both have their own flaws, but the two elements I am looking for the most are present and combining the two would produce, IMO, a blobber that stands above all others. Of course, I also have my own ideas that have not been used in any blobber that I know of that I think would make the game more fun.

Core Elements
1. Combat MUST be fast.
I don't want to click on a bunch of shit just to activate an ability for every character in every one of the hundreds, if not thousands of encounters I will have in the game.
This means:
-character development should allow for completely passive builds in most, if not all classes.
-skills and spells should be easily accessible with a keystroke or two. maybe some niche spells can be longer to access but it should be the exception

2. Complex character building.
-Building a character must involve making many active choices. Some sort of skill tree is mandatory. Just getting more attack (or more spells for mages) is not good enough. This is a big problem with Elminage and other Wiz clones. Warrior with just a basic attack as an option during combat is fine. But there's often no other character building options, no way to modify the basic attack, etc. Just hit harder/more often and have more health as you level. This is a product of having to scroll through spell lists as a mage. JRPGs often "fix" this problem by reducing your party size so that your warrior can scroll through a bunch of skills as well.

1 and 2 can obv be at odds. One of the ways in which I plan to remedy this problem is by adding various types of skill slots (which will depend on your class). IE: the basic warrior will get a bunch of Combo skill slots, while a mage might get only one (if that). You can add various attacks to these slots (IE: cleave that hits entire row). When your warrior attacks in combat, they have a chance to trigger one or more combo skills and make automatic attacks based on what you placed in those slots. The actual combat will be very fast, since the warrior is still basically limited to attacking, but the results will vary wildly based on your build. Other classes will also have their own unique slots. I will go into more details below when i discuss classes.

3. Good inventory management. The most important element for me is that I want to be able to see at a glance what all 6 party members have equipped, and change it with a mouse click or two. Most blobbers are build for ease of use with a controller (or the keyboard), which works well for that tool but is vastly inferior for someone like me who wants to play a PC game using a mouse. Either way, instead of taking up space in the interface with a giant character silhouette, i'm gonna try to place all equippable slots for all party members on the same screen.

4. Simple, meaningful itemization. I don't want stat sticks or Grim Dawn style affix diarrhea. I think itemization in D&D or D&D inspired games is ok. Same with Wizardry. But I want to take this a step further and make sure each item slot is differentiated somehow. IE: back item slots will equip class specific gear. war banners, coffins holding some ancient undead (or the relics of a saint), shoulder mounted ballistas, etc.

Character Creation

Obv everything here is work in progress, but I have a rough outline:

Players will be able to pick a background and a class for their characters. I considered whether to include races or not, and decided against it because I don't want to generate portraits for each race/class combination. Background will play the role of "race" instead.
I might still include some classic dwarf/elf/orc portraits for people who absolutely must re-create their fellowship of the ring party, but it won't have any gameplay impact. I also plan to allow custom portraits.
There will be no sex/gender selection for the same reason, saves me the trouble of adding extra buttons, no politics (although I bet someone will get butthurt about it anyway).

What will have gameplay impact is the third option (for the main character only): bloodline. I enjoyed the Mythic Paths in Wrath of the Righteous and I want to make the player's MC special in some special way. So the MC will have an additional Bloodline progression tree of some sort.

Currently I have 6 in mind. If I get inspiration/have time I might include more: Angelic, Vampiric, Necrotic, Fiendish, Eldritch, Elemental.

Each character can pick a class and one of 3 specializations later on.. There are 5 main archetypes and a number of hybrid classes, but the intention here is to make each class truly unique and not just have hybrids that are a lazy mixture of two other classes. IE: a templar won't just be a warrior with fewer warrior skills and some spirit magic, they will have unique abilities and gain further unique abilities depending on how they specialize.

Current Class roster:

Main archetypes:
Warrior - heavy weapons, heavy armor, good at tanking and melee damage, can also be tailored as a sniper with crossbows and other advanced mechanical weapons
Adventurer - like the classic rogue/thief, but with a broader profile. Can use a variety of tools (like grappling hooks) both in and out of combat.
Priest - Spirit magic, specializes in large scale buffs and debuffs, has enchantment slots that autocast spells at the start of every encounter (casting buffs mid-combat is generally ill advised, casting universally good buffs is boring so automating it removes some tedium).
Also has a contingency ability called Cellar of the Gods that lets him pull Wish-like effects out of his ass (obv limited in some way).
Sage - Elemental magic, can attune to one of the four elements for combat bonuses as well as environmental interaction, has many contingency skill slots that trigger elemental abilities under special conditions
Mage - Arcane magic, specializes in direct damage, single target buffs/debuffs and utility magic. Can also be built to interfere with incoming spells or abilities if you want a less active option (while still benefitting from their utility).

Hybrids:

Templar - Priest/warrior hybrid, has an aura that benefits entire party, can manipulate various energies (depending on specialization) for additional effects. Limited access to spirit magic.
Scholar - Sage/Adventurer hybrid. Limited access to elemental magic. Specializes in studying the natural world and has his own tools (mostly different from the ones adventurers use). Possible specializations: Alchemist (potions/grenades), Puppeteer
Arcane Knight - Mage/Warrior hybrid. Has enchantment slots like a priest but are obv used with arcane magic, allowing him to enhance his combat abilities. limited access to arcane magic.

Hybrid limited access means they will be able to carry fewer spells of that type into battle than a full blown spellcaster, but won't necessarily be worse at actually casting them.

Elemental magic requires attunement to work, you can only cast spells from the school you are attuned to (although you can change attunement during combat). Your attuned element also determines the effect of sage/scholar skills. IE: if you are attuned to fire the scholar's thrown bombs will deal fire damage and possibly set enemies on fire.

I'm also considering giving each tile you are in an elemental value (with fire/water and air/earth being opposites). If you are in an earth attuned dungeon your earth magic will be stronger, air magic weaker, and some abilities will only trigger if the surrounding environment is attuned to their element. This sounds cool, but in practice it might end up just restricting the elemental classes too much. Although even that can be deal with via passives that might allow you to override penalties, or trigger abilities regardless of environment.

I want one more hybrid class but I haven't decided what yet. I put down "bounty hunter" on my list (with Inquisitor, Vampire Hunter and Manslayer as specializations) but it doesn't really have a distinct identity or anything that wouldn't work just as well as a regular adventurer. I also don't want a warrior/adventurer hybrid, there will be an adventurer specialization for all the crit machine/dodge tank enthusiasts, and probably a warrior specialization specializing in sitting behind a pavise and sniping shit with crossbows, I don't think it needs a whole new class.
I'm currently leaning towards a summoner class that has access to summons from all three schools + can summon monsters you've killed.

Which brings us to the next topic (and main thing I want feedback on):

Formations and slots. I will have a front line and back line, and enemies will also have at least two lines. But I am kind of stuck on how to best handle summons. I figure I can just extend each line to 4 or 5 slots (like Lords of Xulima does). Elminage just summons your creature in the first low, but it also allows only 1 summon as far as I remember.

I also considered making summons occupy the same slot as a character and act as a shield (IE: if that character is targeted, the summon is hit first unless the summon has an ability that says otherwise). The summon would thus act as a "shield bar" and this feature
can also be used for shield spells. They can also be made to just attack/cast automatically when the character they are attached to does. This is easier but less flexible than just letting them get summoned in their own slots. If there is a game with blobber-llike TB
combat that handles summoning well and you want to mention please describe it below.

Main thing is that I wonder if there's a way to manage a larger number of summons without having the battlefield become overcrowded.

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
Interested in seeing and reading more as this project develops. I enjoyed Elminage Gothic's design a lot. It is far more Western than people give it credit for, including a heavy Dungeons & Dragons influence on its roster of monsters. I ran a pure ("innocent") fighter in the party, and I think there is a simple fun to be had from the effects of different items, or being able to equip the best weapons. If you want to make the warrior more complex, that's fine. But sometimes amassing a ton of hitpoints and just smashing things is all you need for a more primal satisfaction.

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
Interested in seeing and reading more as this project develops. I enjoyed Elminage Gothic's design a lot. It is far more Western than people give it credit for, including a heavy Dungeons & Dragons influence on its roster of monsters. I ran a pure ("innocent") fighter in the party, and I think there is a simple fun to be had from the effects of different items, or being able to equip the best weapons. If you want to make the warrior more complex, that's fine. But sometimes amassing a ton of hitpoints and just smashing things is all you need for a more primal satisfaction.

My goal is to maintain the simplicity of gameplay as much as possible while expanding on the complexity of character building.

But in Elminage (i mostly played Original but i'm p sure it's the same in Gothic) the fighter is just straight up inferior to both samurai and lord. Even if you don't use their spells, Lord and Samurai have two of the most broken abilities in the game and they are both passive.

baboogy

Literate
The only limitation is that the wall texture generator for a 2d game (https://grindalf.itch.io/dungeon-view-maker) has a fairly low resolution limit. Not a huge deal but does kind of cramp my style. I don't want to have to learn a new engine or how to do 3d in gamemaker, so it'll have to do.

I looked at this generator before, a problem I can foresee you having is that I don't think it's possible with that generator to make single walls, your maps would be limited by always needing a cube between one wall and another. I tried at some point to get it working by generating three sets of sprites, one for the walls running perpendicular to your view (say, west-east walls if you look north) and two for walls running parallel to your view, on your left and ride side (say, north-south walls if you look north), and wasn't able to get a satisfactory result- the perspective would always be off even if I tried my best to align the 3 within the generator editor before exporting.

Not sure if I can articulate what I mean, so here's a two pictures. Using that generator as a sprite set, the map on the left wouldn't be possible to create (I think), you'd have to redraw it as the map on the right. Just something to keep in mind about limitations if you end up going down that path. If you ever figure out a way to use that generator in a satisfactory way to create maps like the left, please post it in this thread if you don't mind, I'd be interested, for the time being I just ended up using opengl as a renderer.
eo9f5Np.png

Example of the render looking from the left map south towards the alcove.
Mh8P8vG.png

Justinian

Arcane
Developer

I looked at this generator before, a problem I can foresee you having is that I don't think it's possible with that generator to make single walls, your maps would be limited by always needing a cube between one wall and another. I tried at some point to get it working by generating three sets of sprites, one for the walls running perpendicular to your view (say, west-east walls if you look north) and two for walls running parallel to your view, on your left and ride side (say, north-south walls if you look north), and wasn't able to get a satisfactory result- the perspective would always be off even if I tried my best to align the 3 within the generator editor before exporting.

Not sure if I can articulate what I mean, so here's a two pictures. Using that generator as a sprite set, the map on the left wouldn't be possible to create (I think), you'd have to redraw it as the map on the right. Just something to keep in mind about limitations if you end up going down that path. If you ever figure out a way to use that generator in a satisfactory way to create maps like the left, please post it in this thread if you don't mind, I'd be interested, for the time being I just ended up using opengl as a renderer.
eo9f5Np.png

Example of the render looking from the left map south towards the alcove.
Mh8P8vG.png
Interesting.

But no way in hell am I drawing this shit by hand. I'll cross this bridge when I get to it (once I start coding I want to build the interface first). If I have to use 1 block walls I'll do it. If I have to switch to 3d I'll do that too. My intent is for events and stuff to have their own screen anyway, so the levels themselves will be fairly minimalistic. Walls, doors, switches, teleporters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom