Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Developer Story Time with Old Man Davis

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My hypothesis re: Obsidian and bugs, is that in Obsidian-style games, bugs are more destructive to the experience being conveyed.

What is a bug in a Bethesda game? It's just some weird thing to laugh at while you ride around on your horse killing things. You can just walk away from it.

My hypothesis is that people are more likely to forgive bugs if they're having fun. The less fun they're having, the more it bothers them.

Who gives a fuck about a consoletard's idea of what's fun?

Also who gives a fuck about YOUR idea of what's fun?

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Finally, some personal responsibility.

:bravo:

Most impressive i dare say...
Not only are you totally blind to your own attitude and shortcomings, but you don't even hesitate one second to set yourself up as a high and mighty JUDGE OF MEN.

From the depth of my heart i thank you for this valuable lesson about the power of self-delusion. :salute:

Lancehead

Liturgist
If the said consoletard is Obsidian's audience, then Obsidian.

Regardless, I don't see why that complaint is to be dismissed. I find New Vegas and DSIII to be the games that are fun to play. I'm talking about UX here.

Of course that doesn't answer the question of cognitive dissonance because their predecessor games share such qualities also. And there I think I agree with you about the difference in type of content.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What is a bug in a Bethesda game? It's just some weird thing to laugh at while you ride around on your horse killing things. You can just walk away from it.
Unless you're playing on a PS3, where hours into it, you suddenly find it completely unplayable.

Obsidian should, considering that was and continues to be their primary audience.

Also who gives a fuck about YOUR idea of what's fun?
My idea of fun is similar to [redacted]'s.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
By the way, in case it wasn't clear, I don't speak for Obsidian, TimeGate or any game developer/company. My insights and opinions on how things were at these companies are mine. I haven't worked for Obsidian for almost two years now and if the trend is continuing, things have only gotten better there.

I'm sure that there are conclusions that I have reached based on my experience, my eyes, and my ears that are still not the complete story.

And no Roguey ;) , no one at Obsidian told me to post this, I thought it would be prudent to make it explicit that I am my own man sharing some stories about the great places I've worked and the great people I worked with.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Why the hell is Roguey talking about "fun"? If Roguey ever found himherself having fun heshe'd probably slit hisher wrists in a panic from not knowing what the strange new feeling was.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Anthony, from the information available on the fan side I always assumed Obsidian/founders had a conscious direction to do some slam dunks and build up to what became Alpha Protocol, and its failure to establish itself as a critically acclaimed franchise - as well as other issues - made Obsidian 'take one step back to take two steps forward', resulting in the FNV/DS3/SP cycle. Is that narrative at all congruent with how it was in the studio, if you can say at all?

Anyway, on bugs/reviews: To me this is why Obsidian's next slew of titles are important. Dungeon Siege 3 is definitely proof that Obsidian can create a scope-managed bug-free experience, and I enjoyed it a lot, but it definitely was a simpler title, and I think Obs devs themselves hinted part of the pain was trying to marry Obsidian story-telling with the DS3 world and ARPG gameplay while making it co-op friendly - which is a kind of scope problem, though different.

Of course, the thing is, P:E is a different kind of thing, and South Park is again likely to be more like DS3 than a 'traditional' AAA Obsidian title, right? So we're waiting for the next-gen Obsidian title, ostensibly in the works, I assume using Onyx, to really see if they can now make games like K2 or NWN2 with greater polish.

Thanks so much for all the answers. It's really good to get these kinds of stories and insights down the road.

While I wouldn't characterize it exactly the way you have, I definitely think there was a desire to make money which would afford Obsidian more latitude to make more traditional RPGs, but that's just good business sense, people need to get paid, and generally companies don't start with surplus money, they start with debt.

Obsidian's strength has always been in crafting narrative. Not every game reaches the narrative heights of MotB, but narrative was ALWAYS one of the pillars when defining the pillars of gameplay for a game.

Feargus and many of the seniors made a real concerted effort to turn around the Bugsidian image with DSIII. for a title thAt was multiple SKUs and with a very small budget, I think we succeeded even if our narrative pillar shrunk a bit...heh, phallus.

As far as. I know, the practices and scope techniques Feargus and other seniors/leads pushed in DSIII are still being used and refined.

Tigranes

Arcane
While I wouldn't characterize it exactly the way you have, I definitely think there was a desire to make money which would afford Obsidian more latitude to make more traditional RPGs, but that's just good business sense, people need to get paid, and generally companies don't start with surplus money, they start with debt.

Obsidian's strength has always been in crafting narrative. Not every game reaches the narrative heights of MotB, but narrative was ALWAYS one of the pillars when defining the pillars of gameplay for a game.

Feargus and many of the seniors made a real concerted effort to turn around the Bugsidian image with DSIII. for a title thAt was multiple SKUs and with a very small budget, I think we succeeded even if our narrative pillar shrunk a bit...heh, phallus.

As far as. I know, the practices and scope techniques Feargus and other seniors/leads pushed in DSIII are still being used and refined.

Thanks. I'm pretty confident the next generation of Obsidian games will shed the Bugsidian image entirely, and P:E is possibly a way to also partly shed the "We Make Sequels" image.

It does seem like Obsidian will find it difficult to get a next-gen AAA original IP going anytime soon, but with P:E that's not as big an issue for me as it used to be.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Why the hell is Roguey talking about "fun"? If Roguey ever found himherself having fun heshe'd probably slit hisher wrists in a panic from not knowing what the strange new feeling was.

Roguey only has fun while imagining zherself playing idealized versions of games that have yet to be released.

Edit: Aw shit, I just realized that describes me, too. :( ATTEMPTING TO ABANDON THREAD

Arkadin

Arcane
Roguey hates all games so much evidently, she/it should go into game design. Sometimes if no one else does it right you've got to do it yourself :cool:

Duraframe300

Arcane
@Anthony

What do you think about the recent news of Obsidian co-developing the MMORPG Skyforge? Was it already running while you were still working there?
Do you have an idea how far Obsidian's involvment is probably going to be, considering the Allods team still seem to be the main developers?

Murk

Arcane
[redacted] eh? hahaohwow.jpeg indeed sirs

This thread is great, and I totally appreciate the time and info you're putting into it, A. D.

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
^^^^
Probably because there's only one developer telling stories yet.

I decided to make my own video game with my friend Mike Judge. We spent a year and half making a game called Aldon's Crossing for the Palm Pilot, which for you youngins was what people used before iPhones and Blackberrys were invented. The game won a lot of awards and reviewed very well. Mike and I made some money on it, not retire and follow your dreams money, but it was money and that was kind of neat.
Sorry if this is too personal but how old are you?

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I remember you saying you would spill the beans on some of the more nasty stuff in the industry at some point. Is this the precursor to that (future) thread?

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
I remember you saying you would spill the beans on some of the more nasty stuff in the industry at some point. Is this the precursor to that (future) thread?
No one with possibly of working in the industry would speak badly about it.Nor should they,people shouldn't talk about their problems with company,person... while giving their name away on the internet.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I know they play tabletop at Obsidian... but what else do they play?
Do they have a console couch?
Are 3D artists tabbing back and forth between their favorite MMOG and 3dmax every time Feargus walks by?

Or are Obsidianites all killing time reading the Codex?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom