Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Pre-Release Thread

Alfons

Prophet
Not quite exactly - you missed the main point. Lethal isn't even easier in DXHR. It's literally "Hold B to kill, tap B to KO." Same cost (1 candy bar), same effect. Sniper rifle, tranq rifle, gameplay is practically identical.

Reading your follow-up posts, it seems like you're agreeing with me, so I don't know what we're bickering about.
There is no bickering. What I am saying is that that's the way it goes in every game that has lethal and non-lethal. I'm not expecting DXMD to bring anything new, especially when every new feature they showed was taken from other games.
Lethal is actually HARDER, since the knockout is entirely silent, while the lethal one makes just as much noise as if you'd just shot them in the head with a pistol.

Same for tranq versus sniper rifle. Rifle might havea silencer attachment though, can't remember.
Lethal is easier. Just use the pistol with upgrades. It's a single headshot to kill every human in the game except bosses and ogres, ogres take 2. The only downside to it is that it has limited range. After a certain distance the bullet fizzles out into non-existence, no laser dot means the bullet doesn't exist.

For non-lethal weapons you have tranq rifle for long range, and at ranges the pistol doesn't reach hitting with it is practically a matter of luck. The taser has a range of a couple of feet, which is good for taking out 2 people before you get the double takedown aug. Shoot one while running around the corner and take down the other. And the Peps, which is fucking useless.

T. Reich

Arcane
There's no silencer mod for sniper rifle. There's a preorder-only sniper rifle with preinstalled silencer, but its damage is shit.

Beastro

Arcane
There is no bickering. What I am saying is that that's the way it goes in every game that has lethal and non-lethal. I'm not expecting DXMD to bring anything new, especially when every new feature they showed was taken from other games.

Lethal is easier. Just use the pistol with upgrades. It's a single headshot to kill every human in the game except bosses and ogres, ogres take 2. The only downside to it is that it has limited range. After a certain distance the bullet fizzles out into non-existence, no laser dot means the bullet doesn't exist.

For non-lethal weapons you have tranq rifle for long range, and at ranges the pistol doesn't reach hitting with it is practically a matter of luck. The taser has a range of a couple of feet, which is good for taking out 2 people before you get the double takedown aug. Shoot one while running around the corner and take down the other. And the Peps, which is fucking useless.

It's one of the few games where to dropped the sniper choice due to sheer crappiness. I stayed with the silenced pistol (?), assault rifle and the revolver.

T. Reich

Arcane
The pistol IS the strongest weapon in DX:HR.

It can come with silencer for quiet headshot takedowns, with laser sight for much better accuracy over long distances (it enables easy ironsight sniping), and with armor-piering rounds that can take down armored enemies AND bots (even big ones) with ease.

After all upgrades unarmored/lightly armored enemies go down after 1 headshot, heavies need 2-3 headshots, and bots need several bullets.

Alfons

Prophet
It's one of the few games where to dropped the sniper choice due to sheer crappiness. I stayed with the silenced pistol (?), assault rifle and the revolver.
Assualt rifle has an interesting niche in later levels. The aimbot attachment allows you to fire somewhat accurately using blind fire. It's still shit unfortunately, it takes around 10-20 rounds to drop the average lightly armored guy of later levels. I found using the pistol for everything except mobs worked best. The crosshair and cloak break the pistol since they allow you to align headshots from safety. Revolver is the best for mobs. Taser for sneaking past cameras.

The automatic weapons are worse since they require sustained fire to drop people, and if it's not an aimbot weapon(heavy assault rifle) you need to spend more time out of cover and that gets you fucked up incredibly quickly.

Edit: The devs knew they fucked up with the armor piercing mod. That's the reason it was absent in the DLC mission.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Think its about time them guards we put to sleep or tranq are missed, well professional ones anyway, if its just a bunch o gangers then no discipline is expected but mercs and private security should have check ins, alarms raised if no response and ambushes arranged for sneaker. Course being an high tech game you should probably be able to mimic their check ins somehow, but that'd require resources and preparation I should think to balance out.

Then again if your mowing em down same should probably happen, fall back to strong point, armour and equip up then wait to blow your fucking head off. Land mines, booby traps, rigged elevators, drones, dispense thermoptic camo and anti cloaking goggles, all that shit you'd use against an intruder. Force pritag to work for his keep.

T. Reich

Arcane
Then again if your mowing em down same should probably happen, fall back to strong point, armour and equip up then wait to blow your fucking head off. Land mines, booby traps, rigged elevators, drones, dispense thermoptic camo and anti cloaking goggles, all that shit you'd use against an intruder. Force pritag to work for his keep.

I sneak in the security room through a conveniently located air duct and hack the terminal; turrets and bots throughout the complex activate and mow down the surviving defenders.
Or I locate the strong point and throw a couple of frags that explode on impact, then finish off the survivors.

Games are still games.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
You do realize that, by making each ending canon, they are essentially saying "the ending doesn't matter", right? They are right though, because an ending-tron 4000 doesn't constitute an ending, but they don't know that and it's bad. Prepare for another such "ending". You can also remove the C&C from the title of this thread, because it's obvious where this is going and it isn't in that direction. :p

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You do realize that, by making each ending canon, they are essentially saying "the ending doesn't matter", right? They are right though, because an ending-tron 4000 doesn't constitute an ending, but they don't know that and it's bad. Prepare for another such "ending". You can also remove the C&C from the title of this thread, because it's obvious where this is going and it isn't in that direction. :p

Of course they know that. They've said in interviews that they didn't have time to do a proper ending.

As for the "all endings being canon" thing, I'll repeat what I said earlier:

I think what he said about "all endings being canon" is basically bullshit. Nobody heard what Jensen broadcast (if he even broadcast anything) and Panchaea blew up, end of story, begin new story

It's not like the Deus Ex ending where the endings were so radically different from each other that combining them in the sequel felt silly. In DX:HR all the endings were ultimately just radio broadcasts, so whatever Jensen said in them, you can always just say they were ignored.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
They said they didn't like the "choose your ending" button and that this time around your decisions through out the game are going to matter more.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Of course they know that. They've said in interviews that they didn't have time to do a proper ending.

Ah, k. There's some hope then :p

EDIT: In this case, they basically ignoring the endings of HR is the smart move.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmmm, they've added a new character to the characters page: https://www.deusex.com/characters/dx-md

ZrwENq6.jpg

I guess this is the new Arie Van Bruggen/Windmill. Also, Georgian gangsters, fuck yeah.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
DX:HR didn't have "instant game overs", but there are a few invulnerable NPCs (like in the original Deus Ex >_>)

Alfons

Prophet
DX:HR didn't have "instant game overs", but there are a few invulnerable NPCs (like in the original Deus Ex >_>)
It's called progress, motherfucker. First they're invincible, then they're game over, then they're killable.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
By the time the game is set this stuff is really oldskool though. Probably Codex-oldfag material.
It's probably gone completely out of fashion before being reappropriated ironically by a new generation of hipsters. So vintage!

lol, why is this bad news? This is GOOD news!

What if Witcher 3 was rushed to meet that early deadline.

If DX:HR was delayed 7 months maybe they could have fit in one or two of the cut hubs, which would have significantly improved the game.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Imagine how hilarious it would be if the devs offered to set the release date forward a few days based on some arbitrary preorder number before delaying it 6 months.

Yeah, this game seems stuck in some kind of development/management hell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom