Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Deus Ex: Mankind Divided coming February 23rd (unless you preorder!)

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Someone said they constantly re-load this video, and with every try they just got more dislikes.
203\15 325
Hell yeah!

Thane Solus

Arcane
Actually most of the time they torrent games because they don't want to pay for them.

Or because most of the games are mediocre, and they want to try them for real. I bought dozens of games, after i played them from torentz. But of course they also are the 'jews', so i guess your point is 50% valid.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Not sure about this one.

Between HBS and CDProjeckt that cyberpunk genre has been fairly well represented. Eventually every backlog hits its debt limit.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I bought DEHR on DVD, but never even opened it. Played torrent version - it was less laggy, and allow to modify game to make it look better (ENB).
But I talked about majority, not you or me.

pippin

I like how nobody talks about evading DRM when mentioning piracy.

lurker3000

Arcane
Actually most of the time they torrent games because they don't want to pay for them.

True a lot of people torrent for that reason. But when a developer offers extra content for people just going on faith that the game is going to be good it sort of makes it easier to justify torrenting.

Say I want the game (i liked HR) but I don't want to pre-order because no developer deserves that sort of faith. The game comes out and people like it so now I want to play it. But the completionist in me wants that extra content as well. What to do?

The right thing to do would be to buy the retail version of the game. Pay the same price for less content and move on with my life.
The logical thing to do is pay for the retail version then download the pre-order version.
But its a slippery slope to just downloading the pre-order version to "demo" it just to make sure you are not wasting your money. But then a few days or weeks pass and you liked the game or you didn't but either way the chances of buying it are growing more and more remote.

edit: Also this big of a pre-order push makes me think they know the game is going to be shit and they want to get as much money from bitches before the truth is known.

pippin

Whoa, the dislike thing is really bad for that video. The bar is almost completely gray :lol:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
4 days early? Gotta be dumb to fall for that.

More like 4 months late for a working game, and 14 months late for the Enhanced Edition.

Augment your game instead of your pre-ordrer: Augment your wait!

Septaryeth

Augur
I'll wait for the director's cut to see whatever stuff is hidden away in the DLC.
The cutted Montreal chapter still bugged the hell out of me.
:rpgcodex:

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
CD Projekt hasn't even released anything.

Still not sure I want to/need to play both. Storytelling in Deus Ex is generally good but can get absurd pretty fast, such as the idea an increasingly irreligious pro-technology pro-science population would take such a committed stance against people getting augmentations to supplement disabilities, or the guy that made the technology suddenly deciding they are an abomination.

I mean, if there wasn't another cyberpunk game for five years I would buy it on sale eventually, but that's not the same thing.

Septaryeth

Augur
Still not sure I want to/need to play both. Storytelling in Deus Ex is generally good but can get absurd pretty fast, such as the idea an increasingly irreligious pro-technology pro-science population would take such a committed stance against people getting augmentations to supplement disabilities, or the guy that made the technology suddenly deciding they are an abomination.

I mean, if there wasn't another cyberpunk game for five years I would buy it on sale eventually, but that's not the same thing.

That's the issue with DE:HR as well.
It has a really cool idea of conflicting ethics in medicine and science and the impact it has on the society. And they tried to make you believe that they thought about this with their viral videos and interviewing scientists in the real world.Yet it boils down to heavy-handed conspiracies about *gasp* illuminati without any foreshadowing, and a brooding badass hero saying "I never asked for this". Honestly, I'm more interested in Jensen's background as one of the manufactured "vaccine" babies.
In the end the game never really justify the gap between augmented and non-augmented individuals and the consequences of a promoting a healthy individual to chop off his arm so he gets a stronger robotic one. Never in the game I see a real argument of "To heal or to advance?" like in the advertisement.
Of course it's just a biomed nerd raging at a video game for not being realistic enough, but I was really intrigued by the promotion and disappointed in the product.

Now in order to cash in on the DE:HR's 2deep4U hype, they try to make the sequel relevant by shoehorning in discrimination, ambiguous themes about racism etc, etc.
I don't really know how to explain it. I'm not saying games should try to be realistic, but the fact this revived franchise is constantly trying to convince me things even the writers themselves have no clues is hilarious.

Last edited:

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't really know how to explain it.

I think its hack writers, pretentiousness and obsession to be perceived as more than "games". They are fans who love a game but have to live under its shadow, so they choose the "let's add mature themes" route, and they fail. Or they end up with grimdark meaningless rape-fest like The Witcher or some philosophically preachy game (Bioshock Infinite or the new Deus Ex). It's like those new fantasy novels, where the author suggest that his work is just like the Old Master but now its "serious business", which usually means flat characters, torture, no one ever jokes and everybody has clinical depression.

The pattern is almost universal, look at any "spiritual successor" or "remake" or just newer games (the first Max Payne vs the latest) and you'll see that they maintain some dumbed-down basic game mechanics to appeal to casual gamers, add a load of pretentious shit and, usually, erase any sign of whacky humor that may remind you that you're, of course, just playing a game. Also, they have to insert many cutscenes, QTE and other nonsense that breaks gameplay because it is difficult to appear philosophical if you always have control over your character and you just shoot the next preachy guy in the face. This is how that Chinese bitch behaves in DX:HR, it's all a cutscene and Adam Jensen acts like an idiot since you have absolutely no choice:

This is what, among many other things, badass JC Denton can do with the other chinese lady:

The differences are obvious.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
The execution might suck, that doesn't mean the idea is wrong. Games don't have to be mindless pieces of entertainment.

Xenich

Cipher
Well, this is a new low :D Expect to other AAA releases adopt this tactic soon. To be fair, pre-orderfags should be milked and punished to the max.

Rather they should be Stalinized for the betterment of society.

pippin

Pretty much all games come with Steam installers now, so you'd be paying for a steam key inside a DVD case.
The different installation settings take me back when choosing between 100 mb and 200 mb was a huge fucking deal :D

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
guess it's evidence of Kickstarter's cultural impact that its mechanics are being copied so transparently. The more people pre-order, the more exclusives they can pre-order! And if there are enough pre-orders, the game will actually come out four days earlier! It's all very silly, and the commenters on YouTube seem to be reacting accordingly.
Didn't Bioshock Infinite do that too?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom