Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Deus Ex: Human Revolution is the Hardcore RPG You Want

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fucking shit popamole shit, yellow piss shit, shit man shit.

Edgy enough for the Codex? Or do I need to add that the grafiks are worse than the 1990 pixellated shit that was The Witcher 2 as well?

latexmonkeys

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Clockwork Knight said:
:lol: What a clusterfuck

Ok. By

Xor said:
In which case DXHR will be more of an RPG than any modern Bioware game. That's...not terrible. And fuck, this game is an FPS.

Xor simply meant he is amused by the fact that a FPS like DXHR is more of an RPG than any modern Bioware game. The "fuck" is not supposed to convey surprise.

Exactly.

I figured reposting Xor's collected comments together was enough to clarify the issue. Then I get called a dumbfack by the dumbfuck who apparently can't read. Aside from the typical edgy codexers we now have a super edgy, anti-edgy codex faction trying to out edge the previous edges. Innocents are caught in the crossfire and clusterfucks of miscommunication occur. Fun times!

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
latexmonkeys said:
Clockwork Knight said:
:lol: What a clusterfuck

Ok. By

Xor said:
In which case DXHR will be more of an RPG than any modern Bioware game. That's...not terrible. And fuck, this game is an FPS.

Xor simply meant he is amused by the fact that a FPS like DXHR is more of an RPG than any modern Bioware game. The "fuck" is not supposed to convey surprise.

Exactly.

I figured reposting Xor's collected comments together was enough to clarify the issue. Then I get called a dumbfack by the dumbfuck who apparently can't read. Aside from the typical edgy codexers we now have a super edgy, anti-edgy codex faction trying to out edge the previous edges. Innocents are caught in the crossfire and clusterfucks of miscommunication occur. Fun times!

crying_baby.jpg

Harden up you bunch of pussies. Shall we all now talk about our feelings? Did you ants forget where you are?

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
Admiral jimbob said:
Yeah, fuck reading comprehension, we're fucking elite individuals here. Retarded image replies are the way the truly select and hardcore communicate

You too, RimJob? What happened here after I was gone, everyone grow vaginas or something?

GreyViper

Prophet
Im curious how is the game, is it better the POS Invisible War? So far I have gotten a good vibe from it, but until the game arrives all I have to go by are the youtube videos. The music was nice had the Daft punk feeling, still the 1st ones opening theme is the best. About graphics, the current setup really didn't bother me that much and sometimes gave me the SS2 feeling the previously showed edged wheel is a good example.
What Im also curious about it is how moddable is the game since it could use a bit modding adjusting some item scale like revolver rounds from 2 to 1 etc.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Barrow_Bug said:
What happened here after I was gone, everyone grow vaginas or something?

It's more likely that you've changed, and, if I may suggest, that it was a change for the worse. :thumbsup:

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
Hey Bros, if I am to get serious business for a moment. I think we've got off on the wrong foot. As especially, it seems as we're all about the Flip-Flop at the moment. I mean, RPG Codex is retard central, but now we are all elite gentlemen, fellating one another.

Also: READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION READING COMPREHENSION

I just thought maybe if I say it enough, it'll mean something. Am I cool too, now?

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
St. Toxic said:
Barrow_Bug said:
What happened here after I was gone, everyone grow vaginas or something?

It's more likely that you've changed, and, if I may suggest, that it was a change for the worse. :thumbsup:

Also, my reaction is primarily based on everyone jacking off each other, when the True Codex Way, was to smite people left and right. No matter what they say.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Barrow_Bug said:
Also, my reaction is primarily based on everyone jacking off each other, when the True Codex Way, was to smite people left and right. No matter what they say.

The Codex hive-mind was always prone to attack that which stood out, and as it saw itself as good, intelligent and reasonable in all things, the entities attacked were branded as the opposite of these values. The True Codex Way, as you describe it a thing of pure chaos, must have existed, at least by my reckoning, only in that vacuum you call a mind, insulting thus the very definition of the word. Seeing you fumble with your own genitals in a failed attempt to jack off is really embarrassing for all parties involved. :/

Indy Sandbag Trick said:
So... any takers on the Adam Jensen husky voice?

Jensen probably watched Dark Knight too many times as a kid. Because one would think that if you're gonna get your whole body replaced with tech-gizmos, you'll invest a few credits into a new voice box, especially if you sound like you're speaking through 10 packs-a-day coupled with asthma. So, in conclusion, he must be doing it just for show.

Stinger

Arcane
Eh, I thought Jensen's voice was pretty good. It's deep and husky without being annoyingly growly and incoherent like Baleman.

bhlaab

Erudite
flabbyjack said:
Deus Ex vs EYE: Divine Cybermancy vs Mass Effect 2. Who gets my money?

Deus Ex

I haven't played EYE but cmon throw em a few bucks they tried so hard

Tel Prydain

Augur
jiduthie said:
I haven't read the whole thread because you're all idiots, but I just wanted to barge into the middle of everything and point out how awful it is that there are journalists writing for a magazine whose sole claim to credibility is that it has been conferred "official" status by the very institution that it covers. Wasn't there a time when people felt shame?
:love:

Playing it now, and having the most fun I've had with a new-gen game in ages. Playing at max difficulty, and they really do crank the difficulty for that, making open gunfights complete and utter suicide.

I'm presuming the lower difficulties (the easiest of which is called 'just tell me a story') are a different matter. But the hardest difficulty is called 'I want Deus Ex', and it seems like it is a deliberate 'shout-out' to those who played the original game on realistic. One shot kills you. Seriously. One shot.

So far I've only got 3 augs - one to increase my inventory (necessory, as inventory management is fucking tight - I imagine I'll need a couple more over the course of the game if I'm to carry a decent loadout), and 2 to increase hacking (there are a fuckload more augs, but lots of them are upgrades - need to invest 5 in hacking to hack level 5 security systems etc, plus there's extra augs needed if you want to hack robots and so on.

Augs are merged with the skill system, which sucks, but the massive increase in diversity makes up for it. Weapon mods are in, and are adequately complex (some weapons will only take some augs). Stealth is done really well, especially in terms of noise - there's good reason to get a silencer, and at times a tranq gun might be even better for silencing (though stun guns and tranqs aren't as godlike as in the original - they fixed it by making the enemy act more intelligently during the delay before they go down - even if they don't have friends to take you out, they'll look around for you (and are pretty sensible in whether they can spot you - in the original warehouse mission they spotted me every time, outdoors where I could set up a long-range sniping spot they ran around confused and I could pick them off) and, as I said, one shot and you're dead.

HUGE maps. At least as big as the original, maybe bigger - especially when things open up after the first mission. Lots of sidequests, and lots of hidden sidequests triggered by dialogue with randoms. You can find black market merchants by exploring, to trade with (or rob).

I'm hating the cover system, but it doesn't really hurt you not to use it and it isn't a popamole style system either. It's more there for stealth - you can't sit behind cover and pop out taking shots while the enemy does the same. Instead, you hide behind cover, then press space to roll out into the open (or to the next cover).

I'm guesing that the easier modes are popamole. But with the 'I want Deus Ex' setting, they really do seem to be making a genuine attempt at recreating the feel of playing the original on realistic. Maybe not 100% successful, but compared to all the shit that's around these days, it's just fucking nice to find a game that is even mildly unforgiving.

Oh yeah, I toggled that 'highlight objects' and 'highlight paths' shit off at the very start. Don't complain to me about handholding if you didn't bother turning it off to start with.

Biggest annoyance is the inclusion of boss fights - not all of them are lethal (and some can be beaten through dialogue - there is also an aug that works similar to the empathy perk in Fallout, to help with that) - breaks the Deus Ex feel a bit, because for me a crucial part of the original was that map triggers are never to do with kills, hence allowing emergent gameplay (like turning tail and running from Hermann, yet still triggering the end of the map).
Not saying it's perfect, but fuck - at least pirate it, and buy if you enjoy it. It's the best 'next-gen' game I've played in years. At least so far - you can never quite tell when these games will suddenly turn shit on you and make you look like a fool:)

Oh - IMPORTANT. One of my main beefs before playing was that they were ruining the theme of the original where the pre-nano-augmented mechs were ugly mechanical husks, scaring kids and scarred for life, whereas Jensen just looks badass. I don't expect this game to follow that for continuities sake, as I'm happy to call it a reboot, but it was just a cool theme to follow up on. I can confirm that despite Jensen's physical appearance, that old continuity IS in. Augmented folk need regular injections of an expensive drug (manufactured by versalife) or else they face constant agony and possibly death through rejection of the implants. Whilst Jensen looks cool, the dialogue indicates otherwise - characters tell him he looks fine (for his confidence), but elsewhere it is clear that people are afraid of him, and that he (like other heavily augmented individuals) is quite horribly scarred. Peoples' reactions range from making lame excuses for staring at you, to outright abuse. I'm guessing that square enix wanted the best of both worlds - they wanted to do the whole 'post-human' thing with the original game's horribly abused augmented agents as an interesting theme to follow up on, but didn't think a game with an ugly protagonist could sell, so they made the graphics one way, and then completely ignored those graphics with the rest of the dialogue/themes.

Edit: kill any civillian is in. First time I've seen that implemented in this sort of game in fucking ages. Haven't tested it with the leads just yet, but I snagged a pretty good assault rifle by knocking out a copper, and since then I've been restocking my assault ammo by taking out cops.

The animated stealth kill/stun is ultra-brief, so it hasn't been annoying me. More importantly, it's limited use. It takes up an energy bar, and you only have 2 energy bars at one time (and only one regenerates without using an item), so it's situational rather than a standard kill technique. Most common method of stealth takedowns is still the stun-gun - ammo is usually more plentiful than energy bars.

2nd edit:
I hate to praise games for 'atmosphere' (because it feels like something you say when gameplay sucks), but these guys have nailed it. I've been ignoring the quests for now and just exploring the current (massive) hub, breaking into random apartment buildings and so on. I've just found Jensen's own apartment (ahead of time - I wasn't even told that he had one yet), and they really do a great job of building the image that this guy is scarred and fucked up - the apartment is littered with painkillers, doing a really good job of showing (a) this guy hasn't been looking after himself since the accident, and (b) he's popping painkillers like crazy since being auged. The best bit though is when you get to his bathroom - the clerk mentions on the way up that they haven't got around to replacing his mirror yet. When you get there, you see why - it's clearly been smashed. Deliberately, and by him.

It's just such a pity that they insisted on making the guy look badass, instead of the freak that the rest of the game treats him as - it's like the writers and graphics teams had two completely different ideas of what they were supposed to do. Punks mock him in the street, when he looks like someone who would be a walking advertisement for how augs help you pull chicks. Still, fuckloads better than expected, and the 'little things' are there.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Azrael the cat said:
I'm hating the cover system, but it doesn't really hurt you not to use it and it isn't a popamole style system either. It's more there for stealth - you can't sit behind cover and pop out taking shots while the enemy does the same. Instead, you hide behind cover, then press space to roll out into the open (or to the next cover).

Hell you can even play it without the cover system, and the game plays out just fine without it. You can afford to peek around walls and such, since the response time of the AI varies according to their distance from you, and (I think) lighting, to some extent. I don't really miss the lean function since darting quickly back and forth works just as well in place of leaning.

It's not as if the cover system is perfect anyway; using the cover system has its own tradeoffs too. Leaving cover may make you immediately more vulnerable since you will move about a foot away from where you last took cover. I also find all the animations needed to leave or stick to cover more trouble than they're worth.

And yes it's hard to pop moles on the hardest difficulty, exponentially more so if you're in a room with 3 or more of them zoning in on you, unless you've got the Dermal Armour upgrades. Enemies are quite adept at flanking and flushing you out of your hiding spot. Camping and knocking out enemies as they come for you around a corner is still very much a viable option though :lol:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Azrael the cat said:
The best bit though is when you get to his bathroom - the clerk mentions on the way up that they haven't got around to replacing his mirror yet. When you get there, you see why - it's clearly been smashed. Deliberately, and by him.
it was in one of the trailers, which makes me question just how much got cut from the game and for what reasons.
if you hack the manager's computer you will also see a message that the replacement mirror has arrived a long time ago and is about to be sent back, but she just doesn't like you due to you working for sarif and more recently becoming an aug. i just wish you could nail her on that, but you can't.
later you can also access the info termainal lady's computer and see that her initial shock was very much due to your augs, and not her not expecting your arrival, since she has been instructed to expect you and warned to mask her very probable shoc at how you look.

instead of the freak that the rest of the game treats him as
harvesters actually complement the high quality and sleek look of your augs, some hobos ask you why you're wearing clothing like that and whether you try to hide something, and so on. it's not that people with augs are supposed to look like freaks, it's more the fact that most people view visibly recognizable augs, no matter how sleek or advanced they are, as an abomination.
due to manipulation of the public view in that direction by the media
if you don't want to be treated like shit, you either don't get augmented or only get discreet augs like whatever shit malik or athena have.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom