Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex: HR in August? Now with added Leak?!

Karbin

Novice
FaChoi said:
Problem for me with these ads, in this preview at least is they weren't set in the future. They were current day adverts showing a famous Austrailian cricketer advertising in Aus dollars. For all we know he could be dead in 2027, he should look older though at the least.

If they do it right and it's piss take Nike adverts showing nanotech making better running shoes. I expect by augmentation of its taiwanese child workforce. That's fine with me, but adverts for the latest meal deal at burger king can away and fuck itself.

Waiting for a response from the makers, could have just been placeholder ads thrown in I suppose.
Well they are most likely placeholders for the actual ads. Remember we're still months away from release and the crap companies want to sell us will already be quite different at that point.

Anyway I say that if they're at any point too annoying we just make a mod that replaces them with whatever we want. Just like how we obliterated annoying ads with Adblock Plus we'll find a way to get this crap outta Deus Ex. :smug:

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Spark Mandriller said:
No chance they'll be funny/fitting ads. If there's a server constantly updating them, that means there are going to be new ads all the time. No company's going to waste time repeatedly making futuristic ads for one game, they're just going to use the same ones they'd put on billboards right now. They probably want them as obtrusive and out of place as possible, anyway, that means more people will notice them.
Exactly. I have nothing against fake ads meant to enhance the fiction of the world, or real ads/sponsorships which are included unobtrusively and are relevant to the gameplay (licensed cars, weapons, sports products, etc.), but it sounds to me like this is just your standard Massive Inc. "download ads from the web server that are relevant to the marketing information we harvested from your search history without your informed consent" bullshit. This is one of those situations where the developers' hands are tied: I'm sure they had little say in the matter, but it just completely lowers my opinion of Eidos on so many levels that they would be willing to do this sort of shit when one of the major themes of the first and second Deus Ex were the increasing corporatisation of media and even daily life. This is like some sort of bizarre parody-within-a-parody.

Not only is it just weird and ironic as hell, it's damn near insulting that they would think so little of their players, especially when it comes to a series which is renowned for its intellectual side. But then, game publishers have shown in the past that they have absolutely no fucking respect for the people who keep them in business, no understanding whatsoever of the games they sell beyond target demographic bullshit from a marketing 101 university lecture, and view the employees which produce those creative works in the first place as disposable. The idiots running these companies deserve to be hung from a gallows by their genitals and flogged to death.

I remember playing Prototype and seeing a billboard which said: "Har du det som krävs? - Försvarsmakten" and my first reaction was: What the fuck is a Swedish recruitment poster doing on a FUCKING BILLBOARD IN NYC?!

Hopefully this will not happen in Human Revolution.

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014
As if the colour schemes and the ridiculous stealth kills werent enough to kill my hopes, this comes along and pisses all over those fragments of hope.

Pathetic fucking industry.

Gord

Arcane
If it turns out to be true, it's really simple.
I'm either expecting a lower price or I'm not buying it.
Sorry, game may actually turn out to be good, but my goodwill has its limits.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I would only be okay with it if they lowered the price with some 50%.

I don't mind add's, but i want it for a lower price.

Captain Shrek

CrimsonAngel said:
I would only be okay with it if they lowered the price with some 50%.

I don't mind add's, but i want it for a lower price.

You know the solution if they don't.

I have nothing against profit. But I have a lot against milking when I don't have mammaries.

Gord

Arcane
There's a pretty lengthy discussion over at the Eidos Forums about the issue.
Crowd seems pretty divided about it. Enough sheep that will happily take it, anyway.
Hm, maybe someone should try to start a riot over at 4chan to create some negative publicity over that shit.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
That's pretty retarded. In-game advertising can be done well, but that's... not doing it well. Wasn't planning on getting this until it dropped in price a fair bit, but this seals the deal. Won't be buying it until it hits the 75% Steam sales, if at all.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't see anything inherently bad about in-game advertising, but all that stuff about being connected to the server, etc., really rubs me the wrong way.

xemous

Arcane
this forum is in some serious decline if the majority "don't see anything inherently bad about in-game advertising"

Captain Shrek

xemous said:
this forum is in some serious decline if the majority "don't see anything inherently bad about in-game advertising"

Though I do see something inherently wrong with it, can you explain to me what it is? Or is it just a gut feeling?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
xemous said:

Gosh, some people sure like throwing the word "decline" around.
But anyway. Things I care about: 1. gameplay; 2. level of challenge; 3. writing. Things I hate: DRM, spyware, etc. Things I'm indifferent about: everything else, including in-game advertising. And I fail to see what may constitute "some serious decline" in that.

Gord

Arcane
For me it's a mixture of different things.

1. I pay full-price for a product and therefore expect it not to contain advertisement that may be annoying. After all I wouldn't expect to have my new car's interior plastered over with ads either.

2. If I have to endure ads, I want them to reduce the price I have to pay. After all there has to come some use for me out of it. I would probably accept stickers with ads in my new car if they make it a lot cheaper.

3. I'm not accepting excuses like "production costs are higher nowadays" because
a) so are sales
b) there's enough shit going on already with DLC, DRM, special editions and whatnot

4. I've got the feeling that they may try to personalize the ads - privacy anyone? And what's about security?

5. What happens when there's no internet connection? Do I have to stay online all the time? Can I block the server? What happens when I try?

6. Last but not least it's giving me a feeling I'm being manipulated and screwed over by them, which is not a pleasant feeling.

Edit: Oh yes, and immersion - Pepsi/McDonalds/Toyota represented by a fictional future version may be acceptable in terms of immersion, but current day products definitely not.

Captain Shrek

Gord said:
For me it's a mixture of different things.

1. I pay full-price for a product and therefore expect it not to contain advertisement that may be annoying. After all I wouldn't expect to have my new car's interior plastered over with ads either.

What if they are not annoying? But its still valid if they are.

2. If I have to endure ads, I want them to reduce the price I have to pay. After all there has to come some use for me out of it. I would probably accept stickers with ads in my new car if they make it a lot cheaper.

3. I'm not accepting excuses like "production costs are higher nowadays" because
a) so are sales
b) there's enough shit going on already with DLC, DRM, special editions and whatnot

4. I've got the feeling that they may try to personalize the ads - privacy anyone? And what's about security?

6. Last but not least it's giving me a feeling I'm being manipulated and screwed over by them, which is not a pleasant feeling.

I personally believe that this is right argument. But I think there is a much broader implication and detail here.

MapMan

Arcane
In game ads in certain situations and in certain games can actually be a plus. In this case, ads won't dissappear in the future. There will be bilboards, huge screens on the streets displaying ads etc. So it doesn't matter to me, if they put a coca cola ad instead of something they made up, like "yellow piss cola". It has to be done right. It cant feel out of place and needs to be properly stylised for the feel of the game.Ofcourse they can fuck it all up but then you can not remove it from inventory and problem is solved.

DraQ

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Protip: You don't get to whine about decline if this is how you present your points.

xemous said:
lol you're a weak faggot. ill block the ad server and priate game.

you weakling fucking ad consuming faggot
That's why I put subhuman trash like xemous on ignore.

MapMan said:
In game ads in certain situations and in certain games can actually be a plus. In this case, ads won't dissappear in the future. There will be bilboards, huge screens on the streets displaying ads etc. So it doesn't matter to me, if they put a coca cola ad instead of something they made up, like "yellow piss cola". It has to be done right. It cant feel out of place and needs to be properly stylised for the feel of the game.Ofcourse they can fuck it all up but then you can not remove it from inventory and problem is solved.
This.

Adds are going to be the part of the gameworld anyway, so they are not automatically a problem if they are well integrated.

Of course, if game is going to show ads consistent with your IRL location and blatantly inconsistent with the in-game locale, then we have a problem.

If game is requiring connection to ad-server for that (or even just using such connection without strictly requiring it) then we have another, bigger problem.

xemous said:
1347398-happy_negro_rei_watermelons_super.jpg

Ah, the Codex of olde...how I long for your :obviously: discussions.

Gord

Arcane
Captain Shrek said:
Just because other products of same variety are $40-60 does not mean you can sell something at the same price if your costs are less.

But it's unfortunately how the system works.
Usually price-rigging is not allowed, but still we see it in some form:
Almost all new mainstream titles on pc will be priced at around 50 bucks. Production costs don't have much to do with it.
It's the price we have come to accept and it's likely going to stay there. Or maybe go up eventually.

No publisher is going to start a price-war here, because they all know that they can only lose.

Consumers could only lower prices if they would start to evade paying full-price, i.e. go only for games that are on sale. On a large scale.

Anyway, I fear what we are going to see is publishers slowly pushing the boundaries of what we deem acceptable.
Already a lot of people think in-game ads are fine if they are static and don't break immersion. What we may see in HR with dynamic, server-based ads is the next step. I'm not a fan of slippery-slope arguments but this seems to begging for one...

Captain Shrek

Gord said:
Captain Shrek said:
Just because other products of same variety are $40-60 does not mean you can sell something at the same price if your costs are less.

But it's unfortunately how the system works.
Usually price-rigging is not allowed, but still we see it in some form:
Almost all new mainstream titles on pc will be priced at around 50 bucks. Production costs don't have much to do with it.
It's the price we have come to accept and it's likely going to stay there. Or maybe go up eventually.

No publisher is going to start a price-war here, because they all know that they can only lose.

Consumers could only lower prices if they would start to evade paying full-price, i.e. go only for games that are on sale. On a large scale.

Anyway, I fear what we are going to see is publishers slowly pushing the boundaries of what we deem acceptable.
Already a lot of people think in-game ads are fine if they are static and don't break immersion. What we may see in HR with dynamic, server-based ads is the next step. I'm not a fan of slippery-slope arguments but this seems to begging for one...

I am not really worrying. I think this is a long path to self-destruction. DA2 was just one example. I hope we can have more.

Captain Shrek said:
This is especially necessary because if this faggotry succeeds everyone will be doing it. Thus everyone will bring down their production costs WITHOUT bringing the prices down. That can't be allowed.

It already has succeeded. Battlefield 2142 and Rainbow Six Vegas sure didn't seem to be brought down by it, and they've got dynamic ads. Ask anyone what the best Splinter Cell was, and they'll tell you the third one, and they were in that too. People might complain on forums, but they still buy the games. HR is just doing what other games have been doing for years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom