Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex 3: PC Version Actually An Outsourced Port

LordDenton

Augur
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/report ... urced_port

"No. Well, it was done in-house, but with a partnership,” game director Jean-François Dugas replied to Shacknews when asked whether or not the PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution had been developed in-house.

On the upside, the team that's handling the port – Netherlands-based Nixxes Software – has quite the track record with this sort of thing, having previously worked its technological wizardry on the PS3 and PC versions of Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light as well as the PC port of Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days.

BTW, in case you've forgotten, Human Revolution's director (Dugas) was the one who found the original Deus Ex "kinda slow", and whose preferred gaming platform is the Xbox 360.

:x

sick

Educated
Project: Eternity
those guys did PC port of Kane & Lynch 2 that is MUCH better than original console versions (played both PC and PS3) so dont lose hope

Peter

Arcane
Eh, at least this way we might get nice optimization and a PC UI. Then again, I've not played Lara Croft or Kane and Lynch, so I don't know how competent the devs actually are.

Multi-headed Cow

I played Guardian of Light and Kane & Lynch 2. They were pretty good ports. I'd be more concerned about derp in the base game than any derp added due to porting.

Stasgard

Liturgist
Multi-headed Cow said:
I played Guardian of Light and Kane & Lynch 2. They were pretty good ports.

Really? Sweet, good news then.

Multi-headed Cow said:
I'd be more concerned about derp in the base game than any derp added due to porting.

Oh right. Fuck.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
If Eidos/SE don't want to give an option to disable the derp highlighting, the Codex might petition these guys to add that option, exclusively for the PC. They're creating a different UI anyway, from what I understand, so they might as well go and add a few more changes and remove all the retardedness.

Here's a list of the changes I think are mandatory to remove the major derp:
1) Remove object highlighting.
2) Remove going to from 1st person to 3rd person. Stay in 1st person all the time.

Secondary, more optional, change:
1) Remove the canned-animation takedowns (which would be mandatory anyway if the always-on 1st person would be implemented) and all the rest of the "cinematic" retardedness.

What would the rest of Codexia change? I'm interested more in realistic UI, or at least UI related, modifications, because I we're talking about what the port devs could do without redoing the whole thing almost from scratch (in order to add open levels, actual C&C, add some more colors apart from all the shades of the yellow spectrum etc.).

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yes man. Eidos will listen to your petition. Because e-petitions are totally more serious business than raging in this thread.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111

:rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage:

Mother fucking console port! :x

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
MetalCraze said:
Yes man. Eidos will listen to your petition. Because e-petitions are totally more serious business than raging in this thread.

That "petition" wasn't meant as, literally, a petition. More like insidious codexian machinations, like going to their forums and working our mind tricks on them. Of course that a actual petition wold be useless and pathetic because SE won't give a damn about it. Moreover, it would be an unadulterated :decline: of the Codex to engage in such futile endeavors. So, go forth my Lithuanian... codexers and make your voices heard... with the force of a thousand suns.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Before you guys explode with rage, this sort of thing is actually really common nowadays. Maybe not so much for PCs, but it happens all the fucking time with ports from one console to another. Very often a developer will only have experience with one platform but they want to release their game on another, so they either waste time learning the new platform and probably do a shitty job or give the project to someone else.

Raapys

Arcane
So what you're saying is that they would have to take time learning PC if they didn't give the project to someone else?

Micmu

Magister
Good that I knew instantly (as soon it was announced and first info thrown) to end up like utter shit. I'm totally not disappointed or angry now. :smug:
I pity the fools who actually thought this isn't going to be just another disposable console game.
Close to original? maybe it will be good! Ahahaha, how naive.

Raapys

Arcane
Yeah, this constantly surprises me too. I mean, sure, if there had actually been a few good games every now and then there might have been reason for such hope. But there isn't. All triple-A titles are consolized dumbed-down shit, even the PC-exclusive titles are poor, so why expect anything else?

Indies, or the smaller companies like Paradox, are the only ones that can still bring out the 'this could be great!11' thoughts in me. Which is why pretty much the only games I'm looking forward to now is stuff like The Inquisitor and Crusader Kings2.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Glad to finally hear which platform was the sole focus of development at EIDOS. That answers all questions I had about this title.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Raapys said:
So what you're saying is that they would have to take time learning PC if they didn't give the project to someone else?

Basically, yes. Adapting the GUI and controls for the PC alone would be difficult if you aren't familiar with how PC games generally control, and coding for the PC (where pretty much every one has a unique combination of hardware and software) is much different from coding for, say, the 360 (each of which is nearly identical).

I was never interested in DX3 to begin with, but for those of you who hoped it might be good, I wouldn't count the game out over this. It might still be worth a look when it comes out.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Jaesun said:
Glad to finally hear which platform was the sole focus of development at EIDOS. That answers all questions I had about this title.

You were expecting a multiplatform game #5837 to focus on PC instead of the lowest common denominator?

And not even the video showing how horribly dumbed down this interactive movie is, lacking even a single bit of gameplay was enough. People on the Codex need it to be spelled out for them "fucking Xbox 360 game"

grdja

Augur
Why was anyone even harboring such illusions in the first place? Because game has "Deus Ex" as part of its title? Cause that ain't much to hold on, even DX:IW was focused on consoles. Look at the current year and every big game released in last couple of years. Idea that DE3 would receive some special attention for PC version was completely unfounded in reality or rumor.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Jigawatt said:
Why am I having a vague recollection that the PC was the "primary development platform" or somesuch?
Yes, they said something like that. And there were rumors that it was going to be a PC exclusive at one point.

Raapys

Arcane
They didn't, actually. They said:
At this point we don’t know exactly which platforms we’re going to be out on. The PC, we’ll be there for sure. But for us, console-isation isn’t about dumbing down features. If we’re to go console we will want to keep the complexity alive. We want the menu interface and controller to feel simple without risking any of their potential

So don't worry, it won't be dumbed down.

Anyway, some ignorant web site claimed that it wouldn't be released to consoles because of the "complexity", but they later pulled that claim.

MetalCraze

Arcane
If we’re to go console we will want to keep the complexity alive

Single short corridors with rare, blind and deaf enemies guarding bare walls while being marked on the magical radar - so the player, god forbid, won't have to actually play the game

This complexity is simply striking

A user named cat

qysbpi.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom