Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Describe your dream RPG by combining the setting of one game with the gameplay of another

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Sci-fi or steampunk setting blobber with Labyrinth of Touhou gameplay.

nikolokolus

Arcane
"The Adventures of Fafhrd and Grey Mouser" (where you alternate between one and the other) with the game-play of Dark Messiah of Might & Magic blended with Thief, the visuals/aesthetics of Dark Souls and the tone/feels of Pool of Radiance.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Not my dream settings, but a couple that might be interesting:

# Fallout + Stardew Valley. Become the Savior of the Wastes by successfully growing crops in the blasted lands. (Less emphasis on combat, more emphasis on trade.)

# Penny Arcade recently aired an idea that mixes Westerns with Dungeons & Dragons.

# A game that combines a party of adventurers descending into an evil dungeon, with colonists settling into that same dungeon in the wake of the adventurers. (Think of a VERY aggressive Urban Renewal/Gentrification project.)

Zetor

Arcane
Shadowrun setting with non-combat gameplay that actually makes use of the full character system instead of just a tablet-streamlined joke (RoA? Fallout? AOD?)

Sloul

Savant
Setting War Wind

61648.gif

58771.gif

60091.gif

Gameplay Falloutesque gestion/strategy/rpg game with a lot of exploration and diplomacy (Ă la MoM, Civ4). Basically something wild, huge and pretty much alien.
So here, think of Jagged Alliance (with modern mechanics of CoH), meet open map, meet intense character creation, meet magic, meet aimed shot, meet neo-scavenger.
RtWp.

Sound/Music: WAR WIND

As for the story/writing, game is so wild, that it needs to be carefully tailored for it, and I can't think of any rpg which story could work for that game. Actually, maybe Fallout.
Not so much humor.

p.s: I am actually thinking on working on such project. If I manage to meet the actual Fallout 1/War Wind 1 graphical quality, I would be pretty much happy as I am a very bad drawer. Also, I am more thinking about something like Sovereignty graphics.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
The Witcher setting with the gameplay from Divinity: Original Sin. Could command a squad from a school that haven't been in the games yet, like the Griffin School, but also enlist the help of the Sorceresses, or maybe sacrifice combat strength to have a changeling in the party who can help with information gathering or various crimes

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
A mixture between Vampire: Bloodlines, - Redemption, Blood Omen, Thief (the first two) and Dishonored. Either a CRPG with a group of Vampires fighting a steampunk-cult and other monsters or an Action-RPG, where we play a Vampire-Assassin and buff our stats with Amuletts and alchemy.

Quillon

Arcane
Setting: Arma 3's setting, just the faction conflict template of it, not the exact same factions and more faction variety. And that fucking huge Altis map.

Gameplay: A much better implementation of Jagged Alliance: Back in Action's RTwP(cos I don't know any other game which have RTwP combat with modern guns) or recent Xcom 2's TB combat(as compromise).

Story could be about either resistance: more RTS like in terms of resource/troop management, expanding, liberating parts of the map or some special team of a faction thrown in the conflict, trying to survive through it.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Setting: Fallout: New Vegas.
Type: Open world.
Gameplay: Vagrant Story.

Combos will rely on both player skill and hidden dice rolls to determine if the enemy managed to parry a blow and break the chain.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Setting: Arma 3's setting, just the faction conflict template of it, not the exact same factions and more faction variety. And that fucking huge Altis map.

Gameplay: A much better implementation of Jagged Alliance: Back in Action's RTwP(cos I don't know any other game which have RTwP combat with modern guns) or recent Xcom 2's TB combat(as compromise).

Story could be about either resistance: more RTS like in terms of resource/troop management, expanding, liberating parts of the map or some special team of a faction thrown in the conflict, trying to survive through it.
THIS! I thought of this ages ago. Why the fuck has BIS never used their engine to make other games. They could turn it into an amazing RTS or RPG. They already have all those mechanics in the game... You can just press a button and zoom out to control a squadron of tanks or troops or whatever, just like an RTS. They waste millions on shit like Take on Helicopters and Mars when they could have made Jagged Arma Alliance or something awesome.

ALSO, only semi on topic, but if someone could mod Heroes of Newerth (or DOTA 2 etc), into a single player turn based game. That would make my day. Even RTWP. I play HoN all the time and I like it, but I hate the people I play with, and also the game is quite basic in some ways because you can only play one hero at a time. So you have 4 abilities, and that's it. It manages to be fun because you have to play those 4 things well which takes a lot of skill, and you also have to work them in sync with your team, which means interesting interactions with all those other heroes, and there are thousands of possibilities of all these different possible team make ups. But imagine playing all those characters yourself... That would be the greatest.

p.s. BIS also needs to have another stab at Carrier Command. Gaea Mission wasn't TOO far from being a good game.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Setting:

Classical Medieval High Fantasy.

Without
mages as all mighty powerful beings. Nor those dumb clunky armors and weapons from WoW/LoL. The weapons, armor, clothes and arquithecture more real life examples (like this, this, this, this, this, this and this). And with a clear distiction between shit peasants and :obviously: nobles. Also only knights, a handfull of veteran mercenaires and wealthy noblemen can have plate armor, soldiers use gambeson or leather (mail if you are a army officer) - it's fucking annoying to see in most fantasy shit every goddamn fucking soldier using full steel plate armor.

Type:

Open World - with exploration, quests(with multiple ways of being completed) and world buillding on the level of Gothic 2 GOLD and Enderal, and dungeons with complex level design filled with traps, good enemy placement and riddles/puzzles (like the best Zelda games). The C&C and how you completed a quest would prevent from playing certain quests but would make others available (that you previously coulnd't do).

Gameplay:

You could play in 1st or 3rd person (when in 3rd person you couldn't see things out of you line of sigh - the screen would turn grey and blured like Mark of the Ninja).

You could pretty much interact with every object (from itens, bodies, to using crates to reach other place, throw actual objects, etc...). A complex and responvise AI. Enviromental desctrution (mainly setting things ablaze and feezing stuff) + good physics. These last 4 things would increase the emergent gameplay to a great level and would make just playing the game a joy.

The combat would be a mix of Mount and Blade and Dark Souls - as in you would control your character like mount and blade and the combat has all those factors mount and blade has (speed, attack type, damage type, locational damage, weight, momentum, range, wich part of the weapon hit) but the weapons would have movesets (like dark souls), that start really simple but as you progress the melee skills they would get more complex, with each movement having different damage, stamina consuption and speed) and all wepons would have different movesets. Blocking would be a matter of timing and the type of shield you used against wich weapon the enemy used (using a buckler to block a rapier). You could dodge (for small area attacks) and roll (for large area attacks).

You could run, sprint, crouch, crawl, swim, jump, grab/climb ledges and if your atheletic skill good enough you could climb.

The shealth would on par with Thief/Phamton Pain (were carry weight, equiped gear, weather, light and verticallaty would affect your visibility and noise produced), enemies on a clear day could spot you some 50-75 meters away, and the shealth skill would determine the noise you produce.

Magic would have other uses other than combat and when in battle they had to be used originally like freezinga Golems joints to imobilaze him. Or casting a magnetic orb during a storm to atract the plated knights and the storms lightnings. Or opening a ditch on the ground and fill it with oil.

You would have 7 stats (Vitalaty, Endurance, Intelligence, Agillity, Strenght, Charisma and Will Power) and some 15 skills (5 for a pure warrior character, 5 for Thief and 5 for Mage). Skills are evolved via use and the stats via level up. However you couldn't max out every skill/stat but only a few, this way the player had even more reason to make a new playtrhough with a different character.

There would be factions each with a different reaction to the other, and you could disguease yourshelf as a member of a faction.

Classes affected your starting gear and skills level. Race your initial stats, the speed in wich skills evolve and how factions/NPC firstly think of you.

The enemies would be like Dragon's Dogma, all with diffrent weakness, strenghts, behaviors and strategies. While the main focus was to be played with one character you could have up to 3 NPC companions + 1 animal (someting like a dog or wolf). Horses could be used by you and the other companions, there would be also mounted combat.

This for me would be a God sent gift.

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
THIS! I thought of this ages ago. Why the fuck has BIS never used their engine to make other games. They could turn it into an amazing RTS or RPG. They already have all those mechanics in the game... You can just press a button and zoom out to control a squadron of tanks or troops or whatever, just like an RTS. They waste millions on shit like Take on Helicopters and Mars when they could have made Jagged Arma Alliance or something awesome.

There is a mod called Antistasi, just being able to play that mod with RTS/Iso.RPG controls would make an awesome game on its own.

Also I really like the default campaign, good ideas for a story in a military setting, amateurish implementation and VA tho.

Tbh. I'd prefer Fallout's setting but I'd removed it from my dreams since Bethesda owns it :P Just want a party based open/ish world RPG with top down gameplay/controls, modern guns, base management, lots of factions etc etc. Also MGSV could fit well for this, private military shit, contracts for nations' dirty work and offshore base etc.

The Mandate seemed nice for a long time but I don't like what they have shown recently with ship to ship battles. They should have focused on the crew...

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Setting: Arcanum.
Gameplay: Fallout Tactics/Jagged Alliance 2.

As an RPG rather than a tactical combat game, obviously.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected

I like that, but how would you make the combat fun? The spells are fun, if you use them outside of combat, but in combat it's all about having enough and clicking really fast.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

I like that, but how would you make the combat fun? The spells are fun, if you use them outside of combat, but in combat it's all about having enough and clicking really fast.
Say what? Did.. did we play the same Jagged Alliance 2/Fallout Tactics? Combat is what they do best. Supplement it with RPG mechanics and options, frame it in a compelling narrative, and pitch it as a not-shit Wasteland 2 with a traditional party and we've got gold.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Say what? Did.. did we play the same Jagged Alliance 2/Fallout Tactics? Combat is what they do best. Supplement it with RPG mechanics and options, frame it in a compelling narrative, and pitch it as a not-shit Wasteland 2 with a traditional party and we've got gold.

I meant the spells of Arcanum. The wizwardstuff, you know.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

I meant the spells of Arcanum. The wizwardstuff, you know.
Oh, those can obviously take any shape and form whatsoever. All that needs to be retained are the spell-schools themselves, more or less, and even that is probably debatable (I don't remember if they represented fundamental forces or were simply arbitrary schools). There's lots of potential, from combat-medic-ing with White Necromancy, to teleporting around the battlefield with Conveyance. If you've played Jagged Alliance 2 and/or Fallout Tactics, that's the scope I was thinking about, not the pseudo-turn-based melee-esque clusterfuck that was Arcanum's combat.

And while I might get hung for this, I'd probably prefer a setting greatly inspired by Arcanum, rather than Arcanum itself. Most notably, I never liked the strong magic/science dichotomy in how machinery literally breaks down around magic. I want to teleport cross-screen and flank the enemy with my Archimedes Rifle that's harnessing the power of an alchemical sun. Or something. Strong Arcanum/Steampunk influences, but magic is a part of the underlying physics of the world and not inherently corruptive, nor destructive to technology (like it was in Arcanum). Think Enchanted Revolvers, magic bullets, quasi-magic steam chainswords, Archimedes Rifles, Flashbangs that fill the area with anti-magic white noise, runic magnetic coils, etc.

But bar that, sticking to the topic, straight-up Arcanum could still be great.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Oh, those can obviously take any shape and form whatsoever. All that needs to be retained are the spell-schools themselves, more or less, and even that is probably debatable (I don't remember if they represented fundamental forces or were simply arbitrary schools). There's lots of potential, from combat-medic-ing with White Necromancy, to teleporting around the battlefield with Conveyance. If you've played Jagged Alliance 2 and/or Fallout Tactics, that's the scope I was thinking about, not the pseudo-turn-based melee-esque clusterfuck that was Arcanum's combat.

Now I understand, thank you.

And while I might get hung for this, I'd probably prefer a setting greatly inspired by Arcanum, rather than Arcanum itself. Most notably, I never liked the strong magic/science dichotomy in how machinery literally breaks down around magic. I want to teleport cross-screen and flank the enemy with my Archimedes Rifle that's harnessing the power of an alchemical sun. Or something. Strong Arcanum/Steampunk influences, but magic is a part of the underlying physics of the world and not inherently corruptive, nor destructive to technology (like it was in Arcanum).

The "Magic versus Technology" - theme was actually one of the best things of the world, but why not just cut the "magic"-part out and replace it with pseudo-science/aether? Magic is always more esoteric, but with the concept of the aether (and rule of cool) you could implement everything you described here and turn it into a cyberpunk-universe (with a lot more punks) with tophats and stuffy overlords, who demand their tea.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom