Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Demons Souls looks interesting...

thekdawg21

Augur
Project: Eternity
Action RPG with a serious chip on it's shoulder as far as difficulty. Looks like I might finally get my dream a game that I can be proud of to accomplish. Now only if it were turn-based and strategic, rather than a twitchy Action rpg. Anyone else hear anything about this game and is excited for it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon's_Souls
wiki

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/demonssoul/index.html?tag=result;title;0
preview

Oarfish

Prophet
Already been playing the import version, it's really pretty good. And it is punishingly difficult. So difficult that it stops it being quite so twitchy at times. You can quite easily get whacked by the lowest level monsters if you screw up, so you soon learn not to hoard your consumables.

And the review is wrong, there's lots of hints. People can drop their own labels (from a pick list), do there's plenty of in game help. Except for the deliberately misleading 'Jumping from here is awesome' ones. Also, the death locations of other players are downloaded and marked. You can touch the bloodstains to activate a phantom that acts out their last few moments. These features also contribute to making the game a little more cerebral.

It's a damn shame it doesn't randomise enemy locations a little. You can pretty much learn the locations of bad guys to the pixel, though their attacks are randomised.

As cool as the game sounds (its like a Action RPG game if Gary Gygax made it. Almost "Tomb of Horrors: The videogame.) it sounds so abusive I might just wait till it fills up used game selections and get it cheaper down the line even if I would like the nifty preorder bonuses and whatnot.

I'm not sure I am interested in frustrating gaming. (Not that I ever really was mind you, but life and free time and other interests leave less margin for error.)

Silellak

Cipher
Added it to my Gamefly queue. Sounds like it could be fantastic or terrible, so I can't really justify buying it outright. Pre-order bonuses sound nice, but I don't need an art book or soundtrack CD, either.

Played the Jap version severla months ago.
Far better action more than western ARPGs, but not much an RPG.

I personally consider it a better action game than Ninja Gaiden 2.

thekdawg21

Augur
Shannow said:
Tag console crap as console crap, for fucks sake. Spare us the time wasted clicking links.

/butthurt detected

I thought you'd enjoy the exploration of figuring out the URL said PS3, and the C&C nature of deciding whether or not the game is worth looking at -- which I think it is.

I'll tag it next time though for those people who don't enjoy text RPG's in their forum posts.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Hehe. It's really funny reading some of the comments some of the console tards are posting on various sites about this game being teh hard - this one's on IGN's Demon's Souls board:

I have just sold my imported Chinese/English version of this game on eBay! It was just far too hard for me. Now I'm all up for a challenge and I managed to beat the first boss and get halfway through the second level, but this was too much. I've played 100's of RPG's over my 25 yrs of gaming but this beats them all. My biggest gripe was the fact that not only is it incredibly easy to die, but when you do die (which you will...100's of times) you start right back at the beginning of the level and with the levels being HUUUGE it very very very frustrating to die just at the end only to be dumped right back at the beginning to go through it all again. Yep, that’s right no save points mid level, it’s start to finish with 1 life. It’s like an old 80’s Speccy or Commode 64 games except you only have 1 life. I expect to see more and more on eBay very soon!

It's getting some pretty amazing reviews. Some are saying it's the best thing evar on PS3, or best RPG anyway (doncha love the way they thow ARPG's and RPG's in the same genre - as if they're somehow similar?). The video review on gamespot (I know, I know...) makes intersting viewing.

Still, all things considered - might just be the excuse I've been looking for to pick up a PS3 (eh, I mean for teh blue-rayz movies of course! :oops: )

Syraxis

Novice
I've pretty much already decided to invest in a PS3 (especially with the slim being released,) probably will be the game I buy with the console.

Zeus

Cipher
King's Field games have always been awesome. I don't see why Demon's Souls is going to be any different. Pretty much the first PS3 game I've really wanted to play.

I'm honestly surprised at all the hype this is getting. Maybe it's a testament to this generation's lack of RPGs (even FPS/Action RPGs like this), but I've seen a lot of mainstream websites, who don't normally get riled up about dungeon hacks, drooling over this. I guess Oblivion served as their training wheels, and now all of a sudden they're okay with the genre.

Silellak

Cipher
Zeus said:
King's Field games have always been awesome. I don't see why Demon's Souls is going to be any different. Pretty much the first PS3 game I've really wanted to play.

I'm honestly surprised at all the hype this is getting. Maybe it's a testament to this generation's lack of RPGs (even FPS/Action RPGs like this), but I've seen a lot of mainstream websites, who don't normally get riled up about dungeon hacks, drooling over this. I guess Oblivion served as their training wheels, and now all of a sudden they're okay with the genre.

Yeah, a lot of mainstream sites seem to be saying IT'S LIKE OBLIVION BUT WITH EXTREME HARDCORE DIFFICULTY!!!!

Which is really an unfair representatiuon of the game, but I guess that's really the only way they know how to describe anything. It's more the bastard-child of Diablo and DMC or Ninja Gaiden, with a dash of MMO-sauce thrown in for good measure. Either way, I'm enjoying it so far, though I haven't played more than a couple hours. The seamless way the online play is integrated into an otherwise-single-player experience is quite innovative - or at least I've not seen anything else quite like it before.

Silellak

Cipher
Fat Dragon said:
Silellak said:
Zeus said:
The seamless way the online play is integrated into an otherwise-single-player experience is quite innovative - or at least I've not seen anything else quite like it before.
What's the multiplay like?

From what I know, there's 4 ways to interact with other players:

1. Manually leave them a message "written" on the ground, to provide valuable hints ("ie, the next monster is weak against fire") or to mislead them "jump off here for a treasure!"). You can rate a hint to say that you found it useful.

2. If you're not in the "dead" state, you can summon other "dead" players to help you through a certain area. They can gain "souls" (the game's version of gold/xp) but not pick up items.

3. When you die, you leave a bloodstain that other players can "use" to watch a quick replay of how you died. Obviously, you have the option to view other players' deaths as well.

4. At some point (not sure how late in the game) you can invade another player's game and attack them as a "Dark Soul" (or something like that).

There's more to it than just this, but this is what I know from my limited playtime so far. Apparently the level you're playing can also grow harder or easier based on how well others are doing at the same time, or something, but I don't fully understand how that works.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Well, since my last post yesterday, I bit the bullet and went and picked up a PS3 slim. Only Demon's Souls is not available in Australia and there is no current release date - fuck! What is this shit? :evil:

Same thing happened with Ninja Gaiden Black - never got released here (although the original version 1 did). I had to mod my xbawx so I could remove it from inventory.

Anyway, PS3 is region free so guess I'll order it from play-asia..... meanwhile I picked up Valkyria Chronicles so I got somthing to play on the damn thing - it looks a little gay, but at least it's turn based...

thekdawg21

Augur
Valkyria Chronicles story IS a little gay, and I'd say I'm about 1/3 through the game and it's too easy, but it is somewhat innovative in the whole real time/turn based hybrid. It's a fun and satisfying game, easily could have been better with more depth and more dark/gritty/mature/sex/titties/blood/swearing and less 'Veggie Maniac' potentials, but it's very good if you don't expect the messiah of RPGs.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
thekdawg21 said:
Valkyria Chronicles story IS a little gay, and I'd say I'm about 1/3 through the game and it's too easy, but it is somewhat innovative in the whole real time/turn based hybrid. It's a fun and satisfying game, easily could have been better with more depth and more dark/gritty/mature/sex/titties/blood/swearing and less 'Veggie Maniac' potentials, but it's very good if you don't expect the messiah of RPGs.

Yeah the sugary dialog and typical J-RPG characters are a bit gag worthy - but ignoring that, it does seem kinda fun.

I also went and picked up a couple of used games from the bargin bin - Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and the seminal Ninja Giaden Sigma. I'm a massive fan of Ninja Gaiden, especially the first one - which I played to death, so I just had to have it in it's updated form and it's as great as ever (more so even). Uncharted is also seems very very good (about 25% into it).

These should keep me going till Demon's Souls gets here in about a week. :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom