Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Read Demonic noir in the prohibition era. LR: The Damned

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Recommended to me by the same person who recommended Fear Agent, so you know it's going to be good, it's The Damned, a crime-noir story set in the prohibition era, with the twist of adding demonic horror elements, demonic broods/gangs and cursed humans. It consists of two arcs, Three Days Dead published 2006-2007 and the Prodigal Sons published 2008. I'm going to be fair and forewarn here, there's no real conclusion, it just cuts off. Not sure why it was discontinued or what the chances are of it getting picked back up. I hope it is, because it is an awesomely-executed setting and interesting storyline.

Let's start with issue 0, the prequel to the first arc, and the first two issues (I'll try to space this one out more than my last LR since that one broke for a lot of people when I posted too many issues per page)...

SUdm2.jpg

JoFuk.jpg

dlYIx.jpg

jTi94.jpg

z7767.jpg

jO1Ta.jpg

pajak713

Educated
Would be fantastic if It was some kind of rogue-like investigation/private eye/exorcist game. Anyway - the art style is pretty good, and I really like the design of demons. Keep at it, I will gladly see the rest.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Would be fantastic if It was some kind of rogue-like investigation/private eye/exorcist game.

Hah, you better believe a video game in this setting would kick ass. The film and TV series rights have been optioned, by DreamWorks and Showtime, but it'd make one hell of a setting for a video game. Any kind of, really, from an investigation rogue-like to an open-world type where you join one of the three demonic familes to a resource management/strategy type running one of the families, etc.

Would be cool, maybe one day. Would play the hell out of.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yip. Do the Three Days Dead run and then Prodigal Sons, in this thread. Prodigal Sons is only three issues, sadly.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Prodigal Sons is mainly huge setup with zero pay off, sadly. I was pretty pissed at issue no. 3, I mean I could tolerate that in an ongoing, but as it stands it is pretty maddening. The solicitations didn't help either.

Esquilax

Arcane
Brother None, this is great stuff, but if I might make a suggestion - can you wrap each update in spoiler text so that it's a bit easier to scroll through? Makes things a lot less messy that way.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I personally actually dislike spoiler tags in LPs/LRs, heh. But fiiiine, since it's the Hot New Thing.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
There are some plot stuff that I hope gets explained. Something that sticks out to me as just plain old dumb:

I understand you need a ledger of some kind to keep track of all the soul dealing, yes. But why bring that a place where it might get nicked?
Why did the Verlochin not take the page Eddie had, to keep it for themselves, as leverage against whatever deamon whose name was written there?
Why did whomever (yes, I know we know who did it) stole the book and tortured Lazlo drop a page and leave it for Eddie to find? This thing is Power, not something you simply drop or discard..

Seems to me we are owed some explanations, so get with the updates. :smug:

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I'm afraid a lot of questions will stay lingering. Some of this stuff makes more sense, but the fact is we're only two series into waht's clearly a longer arc, and some stuff is simply unresolved. Questions unanswered. I'm not sure I know the answers to your questions, for instance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom