Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Kojima's post-apocalyptic deliveryman simulator

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Making another stealth game after this.
He has to throw Sony a bone
After all they're the ones paying the bills for his glorified movies

Glued hands instead of a surgical mask...
This next one is going to be about Covid isn't it?

Troy Baker... Is he the only voice actor in the industry?
Well there's always Nolan North and Steve Blum

:troll:

Kojima needs to be looked at more broadly, through the prism of his earlier games. From Metal Gear in 1987 to Policenauts in 1994, that he wrote on his own, we can see Kojima's harmonious development as a writer/designer. His most popular game, Metal Gear Solid, the one he wrote with Fukushima for first time, is not his best at all and sets a certain trend for the future - pushing the boundaries of the medium at all costs. That's why, despite Fukushima, MGS2 was so repulsive to many people, it was a triumph of form over substance.

Personally, I like style over substance, but only up to a point, which is why I generally like Kojima's games, even the ones after MGS, but I don't take them seriously either. That's why I couldn't stand Death Stranding - it's a stupid, over-complicated game that forces me to take it very seriously.
But even going back to his earlier career it seems evident is interests where converging on making something like MGS and later MGS2

I mean, Metal Gear Solid is essentially just Metal Gear 2 but in 3D
The plot beats, the characterization of Snake, the writing and game scenarios are almost carbon copies
The biggest difference between the games is Snake's relationship to the antagonist and MGS overall theme of genetics (which imo ties the whole story very neatly)

From a story perspective, you're right, but what made MGS stand out was its approach to gameplay. While MG2 is just a toy where the plot functions alongside the gameplay, in MGS the gameplay is identical to the plot (hence the multitude of strange micromechanics). This is the beginning of video games as we know them, "interactive experiences". After all, this approach would be taken over by Bioware a few years later, destroying the classic RPG.

As for MGS2, I think people hated that game at first simply because of: the Snake/Raiden bait and switcharoo ; the Shell's quality as a level is all over the place ; the disjointed nature of the plot and particularly the last act
But IMO it's by far his most unique work and the one more reliant on its substance
And personally as far as that substance goes, I think its the most intering thing he ever wrote
The concerns over the upcoming digital age, the power and influence of memetics, the deceitful nature of videogames and the way the game weaves post-modern literary tropes to connect these themes ended up producing a genuinely fascinating movie-game
There's been nothing like MGS2 before and since its release

Sometimes people don't know why they feel the way they do, so they choose something more obvious, and not necessarily correct. Of course, I didn't like the change of protagonist, but in my opinion MGS2 was the first one in which the gameplay and narrative became weird. After all, this is a game in which Vamp appears :D

I think nothing shows this more clearly than the history of his cameos in MGSs.
Don't forget in other games:

"I want my productions to convey real, raw human emotions."

:lol:

What's worse than pure Kojima? Kojima refined by CDPR.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
After all, this is a game in which Vamp appears :D
Eh...
The first one had an ESPer that could break the 4th wall just because

Vamp was initially just meant to have the healing powers and super agility due to the NANOMACHINES SON
The whole running on water and other weird shit are the remains of a scrapped deadcells member - a chinese mystic codenamed Chinaman :lol:
Also Vamp was orginally supposed to be a german female and have a fear of crosses due to a childhood trauma of being present in a church bombing, this was even been the original reason why the bomb disposal expert and Plissken/Snake survived Vamp's assault

But yeah 2 is the weirdest of the bunch (while still making coherent sense)
Death Stranding though just seems weird because it's "An Hideo Kojima ''game'' ", like he was reveling in the fact that he no longer had a bunch of corpo suits to reign in his whacky shit

At least it's just there as an hidden easter egg and not an actual mission...

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Eh...

Vamp was initially just meant to have the healing powers and super agility due to the NANOMACHINES SON
The whole running on water and other weird shit are the remains of a scrapped deadcells member - a chinese mystic codenamed Chinaman :lol:
Also Vamp was orginally supposed to be a german female and have a fear of crosses due to a childhood trauma of being present in a church bombing, this was even been the original reason why the bomb disposal expert and Plissken/Snake survived Vamp's assault

Death Stranding though just seems weird because it's "An Hideo Kojima ''game'' ", like he was reveling in the fact that he no longer had a bunch of corpo suits to reign in his whacky shit

I think the anime aesthetic makes all the antics easier to digest. The more realism there was in Kojima's games, the more difficult they were to digest for Western, especially American, audiences.

I have my limits set slightly differently, I enjoyed MGS4, but Ground Zeroes, especially Death Stranding, is beyond my tolerance.

Yes, but it's hard to miss it because the game forces us to sit in the lobby.

However, it wasn't Kojima from his white glasses phase, which I consider a positive.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Snake-s-womb.png

Yup this is real...

Eh...

The idea I got of Vamp in Metal Gear Solid 2 was that Vamp was just meant to be a vampire. I don’t remember the nanomachines as an explanation for Vamp until Metal Gear Solid 4 years later, which was trying to pull everything together.

The impression I got of Metal Gear Solid 2 was the events of the game weren’t even happening. The whole thing was Raiden in a simulation of events that Solid Snake actually had done as a bid to create a new Solid Snake through VR training. At one point Solid Snake even make reference to how he has infinite ammo because he’s wearing the infinite ammo headband from the previous game. Being VR, it’s also possible VAMP wasn’t even really meant to exist, he’s just some vampire that was dropped into the program for you to deal with. MGS2 come at the tale of a lot of movies about people being in artificial realities. Maybe it’s because the idea of VR was getting really big in the ‘90s, like around ‘93 I think, but you started seeing more movies where VR was an element, and where someone was trapped in a artificial world (sometime not VR) without knowing it.

MGS4 is a retcon trying to explain how MGS2 figures into things, but also funnily has a bit that’s like: This is what it is, but if you don’t like this explanation just ignore it because it doesn’t matter anyways.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The impression I got of Metal Gear Solid 2 was the events of the game weren’t even happening.
Yes
The game was meant to end in an ambiguous manner
I've said this plenty of times before - MGS2 was never planned to have a direct sequel, it was conceived as the endpoint of the series timeline
That's why MGS3 is a prequel
Kojima, for all his bullshit, didn't want to follow-up where 2 left off - but both the fans and konami weren't satisfied with that
That's why MGS4 plot is a mess and an exercise in fanwankery

Ezekiel

Arcane
Think I would have preferred simply that rather than the sci-fi gobbledygook and celebrities. I didn't finish the game.

ferratilis

Magister
There are also sherpas in the Slovakian High Tatra Mountains, some of the last in Europe. It's a dying profession, but one that deserves a lot of respect.
EgmOuFT.png

911 Jumper

Educated
Neil Druckmann getting scanned at Kojima Productions studio

Also recently with Sam Lake in Tokyo

Sam Lake at Kojima Productions, too

Perhaps they are both going to be in DS2. In other words, get ready for more celebrity reminders of the real world in the world of Death Stranding.

What's interesting is that Druckmann once suggested during a discussion about female video game characters that Quiet's character design was misogynistic (he was talking about poorly designed female characters and Quiet was one of the examples presented on the slide).

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Imagine being a VIDEO GAME fan who gets very excited about who is scanned for in game models. Thats all we get with Kojima productions. People aren't hype about game mechanics, or graphics development, or moddability, or level design, or story and plot, or anything like that. Instead, wooooooah they got WHO to be motion captured? WHOMST is voicing that NPC?!
Fucking David Cage, but its okay when Japan does it.

911 Jumper

Educated
Based on his comments regarding his next project, which will likely be on PS6, it doesn't sound as if he'll be going back to video game-y video games.

Kojima Says Your Mom Won’t Know the Difference Between PHYSINT and a Movie
Hideo Kojima believes that moms will not know the difference between PHYSINT and a movie, having said as much in a recent interview. The remark was offered as part of a somewhat wider look at the current Kojima Productions agenda that also saw the famed game designer share some new thoughts on everything that's presently on his plate.

PHYSINT is a Metal Gear Solid competitor that was announced during the latest State of Play stream on January 31. Kojima described the project as "a strong collaboration" with Sony while pointing to the Japanese group's massive presence in the music and movie industry in the same breath. Some fans took this to mean that PHYSINT will blend the line between interactive entertainment and other media formats even more than Kojima's past titles did, especially since the announcement also saw him outright describe it as both a game and a movie.
The game designer reiterated and expanded on that point in a recent interview centered on his upcoming projects. The video saw him suggest that the movie comparison might be quite literal by stating that it wasn't a coincidence that the PHYSINT announcement was recorded at Sony Pictures, the Japanese group's filmmaking branch. "If your mother walks in and sees you playing this game, she'll think you're watching a movie," Kojima said.
Source: Game Rant

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So there it is, Kojima is such a progressive innovator he'll make a circle and go back a 100 years ago to rediscover cinema.

What a pretentious midwit faggot, good riddance, the rest of the industry will hopefully move forward.

n0denz

Novice
I made the mistake with Death Stranding that I make with every open-world game in that I try to do and keep up with everything, spending so much time on side tasks that I burn myself out before finishing the game.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Whatever, had fun with Death Stranding, would have been great if the traversal required actual planning instead of always leaving a convenient path for the player regardless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom