Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dead State: Reanimated

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
This game is really bad even without bugs idk why anyone would have fun playing it it is so boring .. .

i got my money back on steam from this shit too thanks for steam refunds merry christmas!

You could have just tried out the demo instead of going through that hassle.

It's actually not really a hassle at all, not sure if you've used any steam refunds but as long as you haven't played more then 2 hours and bought the game within 2 weeks the whole process of requesting a refund for either 'not as described' or framerate issues or whatever pretty much works 100% and takes like 2 minutes to do, and they always give my money back within 2 hours.

off the top of my head I've refunded Attila total war,reign of kings, fallout 4, dead state, supreme commander 2 and maybe 1 other for different reasons

sucks for dead state but there aren't many games I play where i hate everything about them, dead state was pretty close to being one of those :S

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Just seems pretty cruel to do that to devs, make them think they made a sale only to yank it away when they went through the effort to make a free demo so people could legally try before buying without any kind of financial transaction.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
I mean I do feel a bit bad about how the game worked out for them/ that dev girl go mad on tumblr or twitter or w.e but in my case I didn't even look in to whether there was a demo or not since almost no games have demo's anymore and I bought it at full price but at the same time as I feel bad about their game not working out I feel mad about getting cheated with such a shitty product. I know they're not the only dev releasing half baked games on steam as alpha's but they also aren't the only game I've refunded because of how incomplete or poorly made they are

I'm a french liberal, I am like the average social-democrat, left centrist, and am on the side of the gays or of the jews (of course not all of them), and I still love to browse the codex, here we talk about an artform being born, and it's the best site to talk about it seriously.
And that's the whole of it.

And what do I think about Dead State? Nothing, for I haven't bought it yet, so I won't ramble on about stupid shit.
Buy it, it's good. And if you don't have hysterical anti-liberal triggers, you should have no irrational obstacles to enjoyment. Prends soin de toi.
> if you don't have hysterical anti-liberal triggers
:nocountryforshitposters:

If:
  • retarded zombie difficulty (in b4 "people are the real enemies"; if zombies manged to cause an apocalypse, they should present at least some threat, especially in numbers);
  • inconsistent writing quality, ranging from decent to really shitty ("OMG R U GAY???" and the beginning dialogue for example);
  • clunky interface;
  • total lack of content in midgame (if you don't fuck it up for some unknown reason, which is really hard to do, you can see almost all characters' dialogue and have literally nothing to do save sleeping till the endgame);
  • game becoming really easy after obtaining tactical armor, so even ranged enemies become just a nuisance, and not a deadly threat as they should be;
  • bugs (many are probably fixed by now, but when the game just came out it was really, game-breakingly buggy);
  • very shitty plot resolution and endgame
are hysterical anti-liberal triggers, then yeah, I sure do have them. And so do many other people.

Mate, I know that you're whiteknighting DS like there's no tomorrow, but at least try not to be so obvious.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You missed
> irrational obstacles
which have very much been in evidence.

Legit criticisms are legit, but not heavy enough to prevent enjoying the game unless you are dead set on finding fault.

And why are you talking about the day one unpatched version? Is that the only version you played? Do you think that's the version being sold now? :|

You missed
> irrational obstacles
which have very much been in evidence.
Links plz.

Legit criticisms are legit, but not heavy enough to prevent enjoying the game unless you are dead set on finding fault.
Key word - not heavy enough for you. For me - if the combat balance is shit, the story drags, the interface is a clunky mess, the dialogue is often shitty, and the ending is really bad (not Mass Effect level bad, but it's too comes out of left field, and really anticlimactic), then, well. I really dare to think that the game has a truckload of problems, the horror! The outrage! The irrational hysterical reaction! :roll:

And why are you talking about the day one unpatched version? Is that the only version you played? Do you think that's the version being sold now? :|
All my points, save game-breaking bugs, still stand in Remastered version. I'm certainly not inclined to make another playthrough when I haven't yet finished AoD and just began playing Underrail.

Anyway, I don't hate the game, I consider my kickstarter money well spent despite all that. Game had flashes of brilliance in its environmental design, it had surprisingly nice music, I liked some characters (Max Getz, Vic Castillo, Bud Larsen and a couple of others). Crisis events was an interesting idea in theory, but poorly executed and too easy. It also lacked the siege aspect, I'm not talking about fortifications' health levels, I'm talking about a map with full-scale tactical battle against other groups of survivors. That, at least, could have made the midgame less tedious. But the whole game is like that, shoulda coulda woulda. That wasted potential is what bugs me the most. Combined with Annie's social media behaviour - I don't think that I enjoy or buy their new game even if it will be a RPG, but I'm almoust sure that it won't, and it will be some SJW-indie favourite genre instead (either a walking simulator, or a VN, or a text adventure).

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Key word - not heavy enough for you.
Sure. Context. I was talking to BCP and telling him the game is good. Obviously that's my opinion. What do you want me to do, qualify everything I type with "*justzombrafeelings"?

irrational obstacles have very much been in evidence.
Links plz.
Already called you on that. After that post, you went on to show that you also have rational criticisms, which was nice, but doesn't justify this prejudiced silliness. There has been plenty of anti-Annie SJW bashing from others as well, but I'm going to go ahead and leave that claim unsubstantiated because I have neither the time nor inclination to dredge through this thread and others searching for the hate posts. You'll just have to trust me that you're not the only person who's expressed personal distaste for Annie and cast aspersions on the game in the same breath.

Sure. Context. I was talking to BCP and telling him the game is good. Obviously that's my opinion. What do you want me to do, qualify everything I type with "*justzombrafeelings"?

Links plz.
Already called you on that. After that post, you went on to show that you also have rational criticisms, which was nice, but doesn't justify this prejudiced silliness. There has been plenty of anti-Annie SJW bashing from others as well, but I'm going to go ahead and leave that claim unsubstantiated because I have neither the time nor inclination to dredge through this thread and others searching for the hate posts. You'll just have to trust me that you're not the only person who's expressed personal distaste for Annie and cast aspersions on the game in the same breath.
:hahyou::hero:

Mate, mate, mate. Put down your strawman, and at least look up the term "professional behaviour". Then read this:
p97JvCIl.jpg

O9n18GQ.png

And so on, techraptor even did a piece about it.

Based on this, and also on her twitter in general I maintain the position that she's both immature, and unprofessional. I don't know the amount of input Brian and Annie, respectfully, had in DS design. But probably they are both equally to blame. Brian may (or may not) be a competent writer, but his game designing abilities are left to be desired. Same goes for Annie, with added GUUUUYS, MISOGYNY and meltdowns.

P.S.
qjMGYm6.png
:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
I maintain the position that she's both immature, and unprofessional.
You don't need to keep explaining that you don't like Annie. We all get it. You don't even need to justify that dislike with reasons. We get it. But ... it's not relevant. The game is fun regardless of your opinion of her personality.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter

Links plz.
:hahyou::hero:

Mate, mate, mate. Put down your strawman, and at least look up the term "professional behaviour". Then read this:
p97JvCIl.jpg

O9n18GQ.png

And so on, techraptor even did a piece about it.

Based on this, and also on her twitter in general I maintain the position that she's both immature, and unprofessional. I don't know the amount of input Brian and Annie, respectfully, had in DS design. But probably they are both equally to blame. Brian may (or may not) be a competent writer, but his game designing abilities are left to be desired. Same goes for Annie, with added GUUUUYS, MISOGYNY and meltdowns.

P.S.
qjMGYm6.png
:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

The comments on her blog are great, no wonder obsidian dumped her lmao

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Isn't the extent of her work there just designing items for SoZ or something? Or did she do more important stuff in cancelled projects?

She was the main writer on SoZ, and also a writer on Mitsoda's version of Alpha Protocol.

Other than that yeah that's it, she did items for NWN2. She also quit Obsidian to move with Brian, they didn't fire her.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
What the fuck...
I am happy I played and enjoyed the game before getting to know Annie, could anybody do more damage to her product? I have to belive she did it on purpose because that way I could say she is a retard instead of a fucktard who did that. Honestly I would have not bought it if I knew what kind of retard she is, if she cannot separate her own values and viewpoints from the products she works on she simply doesnt understand the concept of professionalism; she worked on a game about undead apocalypse where you have to maim corpses and slaughter other survivors and she dares play the morality card over having sex in her game? Hell even Fallout had scenarios were you could have advantages beign a female...but there is the token black guy who fishes, goth chick and even the closet gay ex soldier ffs
Fargo is a god among men and a snakeoil salesman compared to Annie who goes full trucker lesbian because a purchaser is angry that the game is buggy on release and isntead of throwing herself on the granade she calls everybody out
Simply a disgrace and a makes me question the fact pf backing or buying a game she is involved in

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Isn't the extent of her work there just designing items for SoZ or something? Or did she do more important stuff in cancelled projects?

She was the main writer on SoZ, and also a writer on Mitsoda's version of Alpha Protocol.

Other than that yeah that's it, she did items for NWN2. She also quit Obsidian to move with Brian, they didn't fire her.

She was not the main writer, though she did do writing on the project as well as item design.

The main writer was Tony Evans, but Nathaniel Chapman, Annie, Jeff Husges, and... someone else, all did writing.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
She was not the main writer, though she did do writing on the project as well as item design.

The main writer was Tony Evans, but Nathaniel Chapman, Annie, Jeff Husges, and... someone else, all did writing.

:hmmm:

https://archive.is/5cUmH

All of the Storm of Zehir designers have contributed to the game’s story. Jeff Husges and I were both also designers on Neverwinter Nights 2 and Mask of the Betrayer, where we were heavily involved with story as part of the modules we were responsible for. Our main writer on Storm of Zehir is Annie Carlson who, in addition to having worked on Neverwinter Nights 2 and Mask of the Betrayer, contributed to the story and characters of Alpha Protocol, Obsidian’s upcoming original Espionage RPG.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/annievmc

Designer
Obsidian Entertainment
January 2006 – October 2008 (2 years 10 months)Orange County, California Area
Sept 2008 - Oct 2008: designer & writer, _Aliens RPG_
Jan 2008 - Sept 2008: designer & lead writer, _Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir_
Nov 2006 - Jan 2008: designer, _Alpha Protocol_
Feb 2007 - May 2007: designer, _Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer_
Mar 2006 - Nov 2006: designer, _Neverwinter Nights 2_
Jan 2006 - Mar 2006: production design assistant, unreleased console RPG

So are she and Tony not being wholly honest or are you mistaken? :M

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer

:hmmm:

https://archive.is/5cUmH

All of the Storm of Zehir designers have contributed to the game’s story. Jeff Husges and I were both also designers on Neverwinter Nights 2 and Mask of the Betrayer, where we were heavily involved with story as part of the modules we were responsible for. Our main writer on Storm of Zehir is Annie Carlson who, in addition to having worked on Neverwinter Nights 2 and Mask of the Betrayer, contributed to the story and characters of Alpha Protocol, Obsidian’s upcoming original Espionage RPG.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/annievmc

Designer
Obsidian Entertainment
January 2006 – October 2008 (2 years 10 months)Orange County, California Area
Sept 2008 - Oct 2008: designer & writer, _Aliens RPG_
Jan 2008 - Sept 2008: designer & lead writer, _Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir_
Nov 2006 - Jan 2008: designer, _Alpha Protocol_
Feb 2007 - May 2007: designer, _Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer_
Mar 2006 - Nov 2006: designer, _Neverwinter Nights 2_
Jan 2006 - Mar 2006: production design assistant, unreleased console RPG

So are she and Tony not being wholly honest or are you mistaken? :M

Bobby Null! That's right, I forgot he was on SoZ. Yeah, he was all young and new back then. Feels like he's been here forever now.

Well, far be it from me to argue with Tony Evans on who the Lead Writer was for SoZ. Everybody worked hard on that project, and if he wants to credit Annie as the lead writer, then I guess she was.

the_shadow

Arcane
Given all the controversy, I purchased Dead State: Reanimated and have played it up until Day 32. So far my feelings on it are generally positive. Since I'm a bit of a pack rat, I enjoy needing to scavenge and hoard in order to survive and thrive. The combat is rather simplistic, but adequate. The range of weaponry available is limited, but satisfying to use. One of the stronger points of the game is the writing, and the way the emails/data logs you collect throughout the course of the game reveal more and more about the nature of the 'virus'. The 'crisis' events also keep you on your toes.

I do have one major complaint though, and it's the same reason my playthrough of Wizard 8 was marred. And that is how *slow* turn-based combat gets when you have numerous enemies on the map. For some ridiculous reason the game cycles through every enemy character, even if they haven't seen you and are on the other side of town. This wasn't a problem is old style turn-based RPGs like Ultima 4, but in games like Wizardry 8 and Dead State you have to sit and wait for every slow-ass combat animation to play out. One of the fallen shelters (Lampsas?) has about 50 zombies, and I swear each combat turn takes about a minute. Clearing that place was like having my teeth pulled.

Just a few other little things I've noticed:

- How dumb are people in the game for assuming that the zombie disease is caused by a virus, when it's antibiotics that keep the disease at bay? You don't have to be a scholar to know that antibiotics are used to treat bacterial infections.

- For some strange reason, I managed to acquire AKA47's and hunting rifles way before I managed to get my hands on a compound bow. While this is true to real life (more people in America have guns than bows/crossbows), it's kind of strange to find the more powerful weapons earlier on.

- After whacking the leader of the Coyotes, I thought I'd be living on easy street. However, I've just discovered some areas with overwhelmingly powerful enemies that I'm guessing are end-game (eg. Austin Mall, under the abandoned military outpost). Looks like I'm not home and dry yet.

fers

Barely Literate
Well, the quality of guns you find depends on where you explore. It's possible to get a bunch of bows early in the game. And bows can actually be considered better than guns because they are silent weapons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom