Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dead State: Reanimated

Kz3r0

Arcane
This thread proves only that catering to the tastes of the KKKodex is the real mistake.
It is? Someone should phone Swen, Brian and those guys from Harebrained Studios, they're actually broke.
How many of them post here?
Your examples just prove that the Codex should be kept at arm's lenght.
And Larian needed Kickstarter to complete their game, jist saying.
PS:
And they are all males.
I must admit that Gaider and Vogel were right, start doing popamole mainstream shit and rack in the money without the hassle of 'customers' that hate you, literally, because of your gender or political ideas, whatever, while keeping your fingers crossed that you breack even.
Yes, because BioWare wasn't getting tons of hate for ME3 and/or Hepler's twitterings. Also, which part of DoubleBear's current predicament comes from Codex, gender or politics, exactly? Or because of catering to Codexian tastes. Pls to specify, I think I missed something important.
Bioware got very little hate, you are confusing being loudmouth with being the majority, ME3 got abysmal reception because of the RGB ending not the rest of glaring flaws, Hepler's mistake was to put herself in the role of the lighting rod, a mistake made by Annie too unfortunately.
And get real, Hepler was right when saying that her being a woman earned such hatred, exactly the same thing happing in this thread, the shortcomings of the game are just an excuse for the retardo KKKrew to go on a rampage.
And must be noted that until now Developers get in such predicament only when they are women or working on RPGS, the oldschool type is rife with women haters as this site proves.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
This thread proves only that catering to the tastes of the KKKodex is the real mistake.
It is? Someone should phone Swen, Brian and those guys from Harebrained Studios, they're actually broke.
PS:
And they are all males.
I must admit that Gaider and Vogel were right, start doing popamole mainstream shit and rack in the money without the hassle of 'customers' that hate you, literally, because of your gender or political ideas, whatever, while keeping your fingers crossed that you breack even.
Yes, because BioWare wasn't getting tons of hate for ME3 and/or Hepler's twitterings. Also, which part of DoubleBear's current predicament comes from Codex, gender or politics, exactly? Or because of catering to Codexian tastes. Pls to specify, I think I missed something important.
Bioware got very little hate, you are confusing being loudmouth with being the majority, ME3 got abysmal reception because of the RGB ending not the rest of glaring flaws, Hepler's mistake was to put herself in the role of the lighting rod, a mistake made by Annie too unfortunately.
And get real, Hepler was right when saying that her being a woman earned such hatred, exactly the same thing happing in this thread, the shortcomings of the game are just an excuse for the retardo KKKrew to go on a rampage.
And must be noted that until now Developers get in such predicament only when they are women or working on RPGS, the oldschool type is rife with women haters as this site proves.

Step away from the koolaid. Being retarded and saying retarded things is a gender neutral issue :smug:

Angthoron

Arcane
PS:
And they are all males.
Hm, let's see. Swen and David Walgrave post here, for starters. There's been a fair bit of stuff that Codex suggested/critiqued in D: OS that Larian listened to. I've been in direct communication with 6-7 Larian employees, all of them being ever-professional in all circumstances. Don't have direct lines to other devs besides Whalenought, of whom 50% of staff posts here regularly and of whom 100% are very likeable people so far. Maybe you should stop projecting? When was the last time you contributed to Kickstarters, by the way? Can't see you on Codexian contribution lists, sad to say. That's probably because you put money directly to KS and not because you don't actually give a fuck about return of "oldskkkool RPGs" though, right?

Oh, really? I thought it was because they fucked up PR somewhat fierce by banning some unhappy customer from their site and Steam forum, tried to erase his negative review and ended up with tons of spite-based negative reviews and even a gentle frown from man-god TotalBiscuit. Huh, it was all because they have a woman that Codex very much liked on their staff. Shit, man, was I ever wrong.

Codex, if you hear me, please, please stop hurting this innocent dev by creating hundreds of alts to hound a woman for not having a penis.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Whats sad is that half of whats wrong with the game would have been easily tweakble if they had just asked the codex.
The problems dead state has are pretty apparent.
Quite the opposite, the Codex was all about a Romero inspired game and THAT is the fatal flaw of Dead State.
In many American towns with a middle sized mall there is enough canned food to last for years and provide a lot of other supplies, bye bye survival.
Zombies are not really a menace except for their numbers, welcome tedium.
Human interaction it's what counts, Bioware will agree.
The only real enemies are other humans, oh yeah, let get raped by superior forces or just prepare us and rolfstomp them, a staple of RPGs this one.
As for the bugs, ill take games that try new things even if they are ridden with bugs over polished banal turd of the week.
I agree, unfortunalely they were too ambitious, I think that the scope of the game made everything else suffer, nothing new, still they made an amazing job considering their resources, the end result is subpar tho.

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Step away from the koolaid. Being retarded and saying retarded things is a gender neutral issue :smug:
Not for the Codex.
The infamous 'Fuck that loser' only got some chuckles as reaction, and Diablo 3 is a much worse offender than Dead State or even Ass Effect 3.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What makes you think it wasn't Brian or Annie themselves?

At first Annie legitimately thought a Steam moderator was responsible for flagging the review. So it couldn't have been her, and she could have easily asked Brian.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Not for the Codex.
The infamous 'Fuck that loser' only got some chuckles as reaction, and Diablo 3 is a much worse offender than Dead State or even Ass Effect 3.

I don't remember the Hepler thing being a bigger deal then fuck that loser on the Codex, maybe it was a bigger deal on the wider internet, also I'd like to attribute any especially retarded behaviour to Bioware fans proper as they both give a shit about the product and are simultaneously retarded (you'd have to, to keep buying Bioware crap, never learning from experience).

Angthoron

Arcane
What makes you think it wasn't Brian or Annie themselves?

At first Annie legitimately thought a Steam moderator was responsible for flagging the review. So it couldn't have been her, and she could have easily asked Brian.

This assumes the one thing that can't be assumed in these ciscumstances:
Honesty.
She never struck me as someone that's stupid enough to first do that and then lie about it, involving a colleague who could easily fight back. Quite likely a legit thing there.

Kz3r0

Arcane
PS:
And they are all males.
Hm, let's see. Swen
Link to the Codex handle and posts, thanks.
and David Walgrave post here, for starters. There's been a fair bit of stuff that Codex suggested/critiqued in D: OS that Larian listened to. I've been in direct communication with 6-7 Larian employees, all of them being ever-professional in all circumstances. Don't have direct lines to other devs besides Whalenought, of whom 50% of staff posts here regularly and of whom 100% are very likeable people so far. Maybe you should stop projecting? When was the last time you contributed to Kickstarters, by the way? Can't see you on Codexian contribution lists, sad to say. That's probably because you put money directly to KS and not because you don't actually give a fuck about return of "oldskkkool RPGs" though, right?
Oh, ad hominem, tell me you are not butthurt now, thanks for conceding.
PS:
You will never see me associated to this site in any form or manner, being photographs or especially my credit card and real name informations.
The reasons should be obvious.

Oh, really? I thought it was because they fucked up PR somewhat fierce by banning some unhappy customer from their site and Steam forum, tried to erase his negative review and ended up with tons of spite-based negative reviews and even a gentle frown from man-god TotalBiscuit. Huh, it was all because they have a woman that Codex very much liked on their staff.

Annie alway got a lot of shit thrown at her here, your idea of 'liked' is quite eskewed.
Shit, man, was I ever wrong.

Codex, if you hear me, please, please stop hurting this innocent dev by creating hundreds of alts to hound a woman for not having a penis.
Hilarious, this is exactly what many Codexers did in the past and probably still do.
Your would be irony is probably a factual statement.

Last edited:

Telengard

Arcane
Bioware receives lots of hate (not just from here either), and it deletes threads, has mods throw temper tantrums – the whole works.

But let me put this is RPG terms: Bioware unlocked the ability to be a Diva Dev and do so – and this is key – WITHOUT IMMEDIATE CONSEQUENCES by first amassing a legion of fans.

However, to be a diva dev without facing immediate consequences you must amass your legion first. Because community goodwill is a spendable resource, and it must first be earned. Bioware has spent years amassing community goodwill. They have a huge stockpile to spend. A beginner dev, though, has very little, and if that little amount is squandered on stupid shit, then everything collapses.

It doesn't matter if your're doing copy pasta indie platformer for iphones #99,799,191 to come out this year, or a survival zombie RPG. The rules of sales remain the same, and they are carved in stone. An endless horde of popamoler designers have died the same death due to their choices.

And I don't see much catering to purely Codexian tastes. It is after all, low on challenge, survival elements, character building, tits, tasteful rape, even more tits, and harem gameplay. Okay, it is turn-based and has story choices, though. But then, so are browser-based games like No One Has To Die.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't think we've reached the stage where we can demand that devs post here. Swen (account name lar_q) posted here a handful of times. Then he left to work on his game, just like Annie did.

Yes, Annie was a longtime poster and it's kind of lame that she left, but you can say the same about any number of Obsidian devs who stopped posting on the Codex when FO:NV development began and never returned.

Last edited:

Angthoron

Arcane
This is the best you can do? Nice retort, friend, do you know any more Latin phrases?

PS:You will never see me associated to this site in any form or manner, being photographs or especially my credit card and real name informations.
Aw. Guilty conscience? Wouldn't want those nice people you know to find out the things you post under thin veneer of anonymity? I understand.

Annie alway got a lot of shit thrown at her here, your idea of 'liked' is quite eskewed.
Is there someone on the Codex that hasn't had shit thrown at? And yes, she was liked, and she could tell people to fuck off as easily as anyone else on the site that's not a special flower. That's why she was liked. By the way, note how nobody ever "doxxed" her or stalked her, despite her personals never being a secret.

Projecting much?

By the way, you've failed to directly address pretty much all of my questions besides the Codex KS participation, did you notice that? I sure did. I'm still waiting to find out how the "scandal" (more like a storm in a teacup) around DB is in any way a result of Codex whatever, at the very least.

I don't think we've reached the stage where we can demand that devs post here. Swen (account name lar_q) posted here a handful of times. Then he left to work on his game, just like Annie.

Yes, Annie was a longtime poster and it's kind of lame that she left, but you can say the same about any number of Obsidian devs who stopped posting on the Codex when FO:NV development began and never returned.
Heh, there's no way to demand anything from the devs, even on larger forums, that'd be pretty foolish. We have some posting here, and it's pretty great that they do - and it's usually the good kind of devs, too, which makes it all the better. Really a shame that Annie didn't stick around, though, even for token visits.

Lhynn

Arcane
Whats sad is that half of whats wrong with the game would have been easily tweakble if they had just asked the codex.
The problems dead state has are pretty apparent.
Quite the opposite, the Codex was all about a Romero inspired game and THAT is the fatal flaw of Dead State.
In many American town with a middle sized mall there is enough canned food to last for years and provide a lot of other supplies, 'bye bye survival'.
Zombies are not really a menace except for their numbers, welcome tedium.
Human interaction it's what counts, Bioware will agree.
The only real enemies are other humans, oh yeah, let get raped by superior forces or just prepare us and rolfstomp them, a staple of RPGs this one.
Which is why they should have made them more of a threat and feature permadeath and autosave on entering location, etc. The game isnt easy, but loading mechanics make it trivial.
As for the bugs, ill take games that try new things even if they are ridden with bugs over polished banal turd of the week.
I agree, unfortunalely they were too ambitious, I think that the scope of the game made everything else suffer, nothing new, still they made an amazing job considering their resources, the end result is subpar tho.
yeah, wish people were able to appreciate what they did with the game tho, its something else.

Last edited:

Western

Arcane
The biggest problem with Dead State is not the bugs, it's the fact the challenge pretty much evaporates, after 30 or so days (perhaps 10 days more or less depending on your play style). The game just starts to wear out its welcome as without any challenge tedium sets in and maps with hordes of zombies make every one of those maps feel like a mini crypt lice labyrinth.

Kz3r0

Arcane
And I don't see much catering to purely Codexian tastes. It is after all, low on challenge, survival elements, character building, tits, tasteful rape, even more tits, and harem gameplay.
In short RPGs are just an excuse for Codex depravity.
In this case this site should only cover Japanese games.
Okay, it is turn-based and has story choices, though. But then, so are browser-based games like No One Has To Die.
Let me put the point across your numbskulls.
Expedition:Conquistador sold poorly, maybe the fact that the first release fried graphic cards has something to do with that, bur KKKodexers were a-okay with it because they could satisfy their racism and inperialism fantasies.
Now the Codex rejoice that the publisher of that game is filing for insolvency, true, BitComposer is guilty of a Jagged Allince travesty and maybe the Demise of Chaos Chronicles.
Now they are happy that DoubleBear will go out of business.
All of the above only proves that going the Codex route is suicide for everyone, on a side note, Obsidian in fact survived because of slam dunking and catering to the mainstream.
Let's take a look at companies the Codex 'hates', Bethesda, 'nuff said, Bioware, they are still selling millions of copies despite their besr efforts to fail.
In short, anyone that want to be a succesful developer should stay away from the Codex.
Let see how Brian and Vince will fare.

fanta

Arcane
Kz3r0 just went full retard, you never go full retard.
As someone once said, "When the game is going full retard, you can only go with it. If you start going against it, if you start going half retard, you're fucking done for". And boy, does Dead State do that.

Kz3r0

Arcane
This is the best you can do? Nice retort, friend, do you know any more Latin phrases?
Your butthurt is reaching critical mass here.
And anyone complaining about Latin is an illiterate cretin.
PS:You will never see me associated to this site in any form or manner, being photographs or especially my credit card and real name informations.
Aw. Guilty conscience? Wouldn't want those nice people you know to find out the things you post under thin veneer of anonymity? I understand.
More butthurt, good, good.
I piss on your juvenile scorn.
Is there someone on the Codex that hasn't had shit thrown at? And yes, she was liked, and she could tell people to fuck off as easily as anyone else on the site that's not a special flower. That's why she was liked. By the way, note how nobody ever "doxxed" her or stalked her, despite her personals never being a secret.
Roguey will disagrre, just to cite one.
Projecting much?
More juvenile retardation, I simply had been around the Codex for years now.
By the way, you've failed to directly address pretty much all of my questions besides the Codex KS participation, did you notice that? I sure did. I'm still waiting to find out how the "scandal" (more like a storm in a teacup) around DB is in any way a result of Codex whatever, at the very least.
First when you use an ad hominem you lose any 'right' to get an answer, second, my point was never that it's the Codex' fault, more Codex' attitude in general and why this place should be avoided, would be hilarious tho if in the end most of the shitheads making a fuss ob Steam could be traced back here.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
When you say you "learned" [DS] was a mess, was that from hearing about the bugs or actually playing the game?

Based on the few issues I had after playing only a few hours, I started to look into what other people were saying. And what I was reading just made me decide to wait until the game is in better shape before I start playing again.
Not an injudicious thing to do. I was worried that you made a misinformed judgment, but clearly you didn't. :) Strongly agree that the game will be much better to jump into a month or so from now after DB has a chance to really caulk and paint this mother.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
[
If the guy has an army of (wrong) people who believe him, pacifying them with lies may be a good idea. Personally, I would be disappointed if it came to that because I have this thing about living in truth.
To lie about what, though? There's no need for lying. There's tools for shutting down unhappy/hostile customers, they're not complex, they don't involve lying, threatening, complaining, none of that. Most of it can be figured through common sense

Well, they could have shut him down in other ways before, but at this point I don't see how they can issue the apology the guy wants without tacitly admitting that he was right all along, which would be dishonest, because he really wasn't. :)

Zombra

Patron
As for the fact that his review has lots of upvotes, those aren't "I agree with you" upvotes; they are "this review was helpful" upvotes.
It uses thumbs-up and thumbs-down icons, similar to other social media networks, and the whole thing takes place on a social media network that also double a store, one that encourages purchases for no other reason than the promise of getting trading cards (previously hats for one of their own games). Do you really think that people who click the thumbs-up icon—which should be those who actually care enough about that particular social network to make that move—merely think that “this review is helpful?”

I think that if a Steam review has 1,000 upvotes, then those upvotes are there for 1,000 different reasons, but the stated purpose of that button is "this review was helpful". It does not in any way imply some kind of popular "I agree with you and you are correct" mandate.

Kz3r0

Arcane
As for the fact that his review has lots of upvotes, those aren't "I agree with you" upvotes; they are "this review was helpful" upvotes.
It uses thumbs-up and thumbs-down icons, similar to other social media networks, and the whole thing takes place on a social media network that also double a store, one that encourages purchases for no other reason than the promise of getting trading cards (previously hats for one of their own games). Do you really think that people who click the thumbs-up icon—which should be those who actually care enough about that particular social network to make that move—merely think that “this review is helpful?”
I think that if a Steam review has 1,000 upvotes, then those upvotes are there for 1,000 different reasons, but the stated purpose of that button is "this review was helpful". It does not in any way imply some kind of popular "I agree with you and you are correct" mandate.
Some steamfag should inform us how many codexers are part of that thousand.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom