Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dead State Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

likaq

Arcane
We have a few rules for this very special subsection. First of all, you backed us at a higher level for this extra content, so please don’t share or repost any material from this section – it’s exclusive to the backers that supported us at the $21 tier and higher. Please don’t share any images or passwords given out for YouTube Content.

This feature is for backers only.

Sorry, I don't want to be a dick.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The radio tier is just another example of DoubleBear being bizarre. "Sorry, gotta pay us an extra six dollars and register on our forums if you want to get regular updates. Also our kickstarter updates will be for backers only. People who don't give us any money at all: FUCK OFF"

Saduj

Arcane
Look at all the free advertising sites like this one do for games like Shadowrun, WL2, PE, AOD, CP2077, etc. just by posting every little update from the developer on the front page.

Doublebear decides that people have to pay money to see this stuff? Doesn't exactly inspire any confidence in the smarts of those running things over there....

I was wondering if this game died, to be honest.

Moribund

A droglike
It's not bizarre, it's carefully crafting an echo chamber. Many companies do this but considering it's before they even released a game it is even more troubling. It seems to generally be either caused by or leading to being out of touch with reality and completely ignoring all the feedback.

Hopefully it's just "man we are so busy we have no time for bullshit man!" but considering how little there was to show in the KS it's probably that other thing.

Zeriel

Arcane
To be fair, Double Fine did similar stuff with their Kickstarter.

Saduj

Arcane
It's not bizarre, it's carefully crafting an echo chamber.

Not knowing anything about them, I wouldn't accuse them of doing this purposefully.

I have noticed with other games that people who "get in on the ground floor" seem to feel that they have a certain personal investment in a game and tend to defend it against criticism even if the game totally sucks and their shouting down of crticism helps keep it that way. Krater would be a pretty good example of that. But as you said, that mostly occurs after the game is released.

In this case, intentionally limiting word of mouth advertising online just seems like a bad business decision to me regardless of who else does the same thing.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
In this case, intentionally limiting word of mouth advertising online just seems like a bad business decision to me regardless of who else does the same thing.

The game is still in development and in flux, so there really isn't that much to advertise publicly. Once it is closer to release I'm sure there will be more public info and stuff.

DeepOcean

Arcane
It is necessary to register on the forum to see the update? It is to backers only?

RedScum

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
It is necessary to register on the forum to see the update? It is to backers only?

You need to have pledged equal or over to the Radio-tier on their kickstarter, registered an account over at the Irontowerstudios forum and send a message to their kickstarter with your usernamne.

MCA
I almost regret backing them. This exclusive update nonsense and the radio update crap is very annoying. At this point, I'm just hoping that the game will be more than a turn-based puzzle management.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Radio Update #5

Evolution of a Theme (And Variation)

Hello! Leif here, with my first Radio entry where I’ll talk about some of the work that I’ve been doing in the conceptualizing and writing of Dead State’s original score.

Almost everything about the music in Dead State has a certain minimalist style about it. This leaks over from my own personal style of writing, but it also pairs nicely with the mood and theme of the game. When I set out to start writing music for the game, the initial challenge was to tie everything together with a unified style. Because the game’s dynamic involves two very contrasting forces—humanity and, well, not humanity—my first inclination was to develop some core themes that help to inform everything else.

deadstate_humanity-theme.jpg

By creating an overarching meta-theme (or leitmotif, for those of you keeping score), I’m able to shape how I write so that no matter how crazy things get, I still have something concrete that ties everything together.
In Dead State, the theme of humanity lives within the perfect fifth. It was the very first thing I wrote; just a piano playing two alternating notes. Simple, but effective.

https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F76363071&color=ff6600&auto_play=false&show_artwork=false

Since then, every new theme I’ve written has been informed by this particular movement. The Shelter theme’s melodic phrases begin and end with that fifth. The B theme, also used in Let’s Talk, ends its phrases with that fifth. The “bridge” within the Shelter also uses fifths to modulate, which will be built upon significantly in other alternate themes. When you’re wandering, uncertain if you’ll ever see another person again, the first sign of hope is hearing that sound.

I’ve ended the music sample with a sneak peak at one of those signs of hope—a few distant notes, a wind chime playing out a familiar melody. Perhaps there’s a haven on the horizon. Perhaps not.
So that’s the very basics of what makes the survivors’ musical cues tick, whether it’s their home, their conversations, or their refuge. But that’s only when times are safe, which isn’t often. In my next Radio interlude, I’ll discuss what kinds of sounds go into the discordant, anxious and disastrous moments.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm quite happy that you've potentially made 931+ people very upset. :)

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
The guy's basically telling what a leitmotiv is. Not much to put a seal of exclusivity here.

Well, there's the audio samples too. But that's not much either.

MCA
Goddammit what is this sleep inducing soothing trance music doing in my Zombie game? WTF, it reminds me of those shitty puzzle adventure games.

It's official: Dead State, the Zombie themes screen saver.

Moribund

A droglike
Composition is fine, even good but I wouldn't use a straight piano and guitar for ambient in a game, sounds too much like something you'd hear walking past a cafe in the mall.

It builds a bit too much too, during the guitar part. Either go for ambient and really make it truly ambient or go much stronger and gamier. It's fine as something someone made for composition class not quite in place for a game, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom