Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dead State Kickstarter Update #54: The Big Day is Here - Dead State Officially Released!

cpmartins

Cipher
Wasted all my shekels on Starsector and Starpoint Gemini 2 this month, but I'll be certain to pick it up next month. I've watched a few videos and, I gotta say, it looks a lot better than I expected. Congrats to the developers.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Firecrackers FTW!:D Shame I only found one so far.:S Used it to facilitate a fun meeting between some zombies and armed thugs @ a strip mall.:) Poor bastards pretty much wiped each other out while I hid.

kain30

Cipher
i think they are still static, i´ve only seen them move when they hear something

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeah, this game... uh, this is zombie game number... number...? Anyway, this game is great.

I've never played it, mind you, but I need upboats UPBOAT THIS FUCKING POST YOU GOD DAMNED SAVAGES!

set

Cipher
So I bought the game because it's December and I'm feeling loose with my money.

I honestly think it's hugely mediocre. I'm obviously not very far, but these are just huge negatives:

1) Zombies and bandits are static - they have no agency whatsoever, they are just standing there waiting for you to engage or accidentally stumble upon them
2) AI is completely non-existant, enemies attack the closest available PC with the lowest HP -- I literally found a looter with his back to a door, would engage him in combat, whack him once with a bat, then run out, close a door, stop combat, then open the door and whack him again - exploits like this just kill games for me; there is literally no AI so far
3) Path finding is terrible outside of combat, I frequently see my allies run around in circles trying to navigate the blocky gridy world
4) So far, your allies aren't interesting, though they are relatable people I guess
5) So far, skill choices and attribute choices seem pretty shallow
6) Combat is pretty basic though there are at least a couple kinds of attack types with melee weapons
7) Music is barely there, aesthetics are definitely pretty mediocre
8) Nothing so far has felt random, replaying the first two hours might be a huge chore if the rest of the game is more dynamic -- I have a huge hunch that it's not very dynamic
9) Dialogue trees are pretty shallow so far
10) Random events I've experienced so far have been awkward, abrupt
11) Some things just aren't very intuitive, which is okay, I do play DF when I have freetime... Just... ugh
12) Scavenging is an inconsistent pixel hunt - some objects you can loot from and others that look identical you cannot; I would have preferred a system where you press a button and it highlights scanvegable things... I guess I can say it's ncie there aren't glowing loot containers everywhere, but even so
13) Managing resource so far seems a bit shallow, you just go to places on the map and return with stuff... A couple of times I avoided dangerous places but more or less you just click on stuff to get stuff, maybe this will open up more in the future where you have to choose between medicine and food etc but so far it's pretty simplistic.

The only positive thing I can say is your characters are kind of squishy so at least looting places is tense at times, if a little dull. The biggest decision you usually have to make at least right now is whether to bash a door open or find another way in. So far, zombies present a threat without being mind numblingly numerous.

Last edited:

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
So I bought the game because it's December and I'm feeling loose with my money.12) Scavenging is an inconsistent pixel hunt - some objects you can loot from and others that look identical you cannot; I would have preferred a system where you press a button and it highlights scanvegable things... I guess I can say it's ncie there aren't glowing loot containers everywhere, but even so

Press Z.

Did not realise weapons could become poisioness from, what I'm assuming, zombie bashing. Nice touch.

With points in science your weapons become poisonous.

EG

Nullified
Yep, what combat AI there is, isn't that fun unless you're facing off against a large group of people (8 bikers in a grocery store and a dozen zeds). Even then, ti's possible to fudge the numbers somewhat (sneaking around, going in the back, trying to pick off the stragglers before realizing you're too ineffectual to bother with the main body, at all).

It'd be better if looters/zombies moved more frequently, but they do move: i've been caught offguard by raiders not being where they were supposed to be in the past, or one of their number walking towards me. But the noise system doesn't seem to be the most sensitive thing in the world, and it'd be better if they explored/looted on their own (or even left a map at a certain time).

That said, there are harder locations on the map, where zombies and looters appear stronger and more alert.

Panic that doesn't necessarily result in just running is great, though: for both enemies and characters.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
How long till we get a message with the GOG key on Kickstarter? I'm keen to take a look.

EG

Nullified
Ouch guys, full days worth of saves marked incompatible. :lol: Worse, I can't even blame it on the update, as a third of them came after it. Perhaps some native resources weren't allocated before a forced shut down last night (though the game was not open) . . .

Welp, since that was a write off . . . restarted with a 10 agile, 5 strength, 2 virile character with 3 levels of melee and everything else into survival. Makes the early game quite a bit easier: day one and I've added 3 survivors to the shelter and a hundred parts; cleared out the church, a garage to the north-west, the requisite hardware store and the highway event, all before 9 PM. Will acquire Bud tomorrow.

Much better than the previous game, where my 0 survival character struggled to reach the old church (and back) by "You've greatly disappointed us" hour.

Some odd graphical results though . . . in the church, I had fully 6 zombies standing on a single tile. A many tentacled monster, that, occasionally twitching into their T-poses.

Is there any way to filter through multiple bodies lying on a single pile? I'd really like their worldly possessions. I've found some disappear when in this state, as well.

I've also not been surprised by zombies in a very long time, now. Sure, occasionally 2-3 will parachute from the sky, into my immediate vicienty, due to some buggy code, but they're now easily dispatched. What I had assumed were zombies wondering in to investigate might have just be that, unfortunately. :(

I'll also take the opporuntity to partially take back my criticism of the game having pristine environments: in some locations, effort has been made to make houses unique, or add damage to the map.

Last edited:

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Yesterday evening, an update was uploaded which caused a critical party issue in the build. We rolled back the build to the previous version. This caused some issues with saves made after the update. Those save games are not broken - we will be issuing a new patch today which will allow you to continue from those saved games.

We are really sorry about it, it won't happen again. Our anxiety to fix some issues made us work late in Saturday and we broke the game without intending to do so. We'll take our time for the following patch releases. We'll be releasing an update very soon with all fixes and game compatibility.

Fargus

Arcane
Don't fuck it up this time :)

I was lucky i didn't update yesterday so none of my saves were harmed.

EG

Nullified
Hmm, a majestic floating lockpick in the shelter's inventory. Groovy.

Finally worked out how to take the human campsite, moving from the east end of the map, north. Two melee characters and 2 characters armed with guns (Joel and the woman found with Craig) . Joel dual-wielding pistols for the sake of not having to reload, and That Woman with a sawed off shotgun and a regular shotgun.

Much carnage ensues.

Though I do wonder: does picking off "hostile survivors" whom don't necessarily initiate immediate combat close off story lines (assuming any are connected to them)? David chose to have a "don't kill people" talk with me this time around, after I raided a near-by neighborhood.

Well, back to acquiring a car . . . only 60 hours for Jolie to build his garage.
Must have been 600. With 4 survivors working on it, it's now 12 . . . but seems to really be 120. The zero must be being cut off. Same for the refrigeration unit.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
So this recent patch broke a bunch of stuff. I think it's a pretty big indictment of the game when the bug/issues list is bigger than the feature list.

kain30

Cipher
i´m playing it after the hotfix and i might be a lucky one, i didn´t see anything broken yet

EG

Nullified
So this recent patch broke a bunch of stuff. I think it's a pretty big indictment of the game when the bug/issues list is bigger than the feature list.
Not noticing anything I haven't posted about before; though I can't say there's been any improvement with it (and haven't checked the patch notes to know if there should be noticeable differences).

I encountered three minor errors this session (about 2 hours):
A character became embedded in a wall (still able to move freely and be interacted with)
The player character glided (standing still animation) across the floor instead of running in the shelter
A character was trapped "upstairs," while I was in the basement, walking along the edges of the wall, and occasionally causing the camera to jerk. Said character would also teleport back downstairs.

(My saves are functioning again.)

The only thing the bugs are indicative of at this point is a developer willing to publicly tarnish the customer's perception by acknowledging them.

Really don't get why people expect indie games to be some sort of pristine entity . . . it's software. It's not like Colonization ever got patched to prevent it from crashing on Windows back in 1995 . . . Bitch if they stop fixing things, instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom