Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Dead State Design Update

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: DoubleBear Productions

<p>You'll be glad to hear that DoubleBear achieved the first important milestone with their Zombie thing <strong>Dead State</strong>: <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,1803.0.html" target="_blank">selling merchandise</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>A couple of minor but rather important announcements this week for fans of DoubleBear and Dead State. Some of you have been asking for Dead State merchandise &ndash; well, now we&rsquo;ve got it! Check out the following links for Dead State merchandise:<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cafepress.com/deadstate" target="_blank">http://www.cafepress.com/deadstate</a><br /><br /><a href="http://www.cafepress.com/mmmbison" target="_blank">http://www.cafepress.com/mmmbison</a><br /><br />We&rsquo;ve got Dead State logo merch and the ever popular MMM, Bison! fast food chain apparel to buy. All profits fund development of the game. For those who have been claiming they would buy something when they could buy Dead State stuff &ndash; you have no excuse now!<br /><br />Next up, just wanted to mention that the current PC Gamer (US January 2011 issue, Diablo 3 on the cover) has some new info on Dead State and some exclusive screenshots we haven&rsquo;t shown anywhere else. If you want to get a look at the dialogue system, some new areas, and our first NPC shots and portraits, pick up PC Gamer this month. We&rsquo;re really excited about the coverage, and hope you guys check it out.<br /><br />Anything you want to see in the store? Let us know. If you've seen the article, share your thoughts here. Next week we'll be back with a regular update showcasing a feature of the game.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>I wonder, who asked for Dead State merchandise?</p>

first NPC shots and portraits

b9a5c3fcf2905ec5f6e9513d9c1c0.jpg

:lol:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I look forward to the magazine scans. I'm certainly not going to support awful print media.

MisterStone

Arcane
Cafepress stuff is printed on demand I believe; they didn't crap out anything unless someone has been buying it.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Next up, just wanted to mention that the current PC Gamer (US January 2011 issue, Diablo 3 on the cover) has some new info on Dead State and some exclusive screenshots we haven’t shown anywhere else. If you want to get a look at the dialogue system, some new areas, and our first NPC shots and portraits, pick up PC Gamer this month. We’re really excited about the coverage, and hope you guys check it out.
Awaiting for American posters to provide scans...

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
People had been wargarbling at us for Dead State stuff (also mentioned Mmm, Bison! stuff) so I hit up CafePress on Sunday and made a bunch of things. And yeah, it's printed on demand, so it was image modding, placement, and other design work, not actual print fussing. One of the handy things about the service. (and hot damn if that Mmm, Bison stuff don't look super good)

And yeah, it's the holidays approaching, press is out, and things are rather mad on multiple fronts, so it's a less-pithy more-merch-y update, but erm - tis the season? ;) Expect more later. Like always. We do that.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I fail to see purpose for product-driven merchandise, when the product itself (i.e. the game) is not available yet.

That's why I don't work in marketing, probably.

The obvious purpose of that is making money which you can invest to make even more money.
Here they invest the money from the merchandise into the game which when released makes money.

tl;dr: money

MicoSelva said:
I fail to see purpose for product-driven merchandise, when the product itself (i.e. the game) is not available yet.

Publicity, which generates hype, which generates money, which generates even more money

Also, the link to the portrait image above is broken :x

Is it the one with the black woman with tyrannosaur arms?

Phelot

Arcane
I like the kid weeping on the floor, where is that image?

Melcar

Arcane
SimpleComplexity said:
The obvious purpose of that is making money which you can invest to make even more money.
Here they invest the money from the merchandise into the game which when released makes money.

tl;dr: money

I smell Jews.

*snicker*

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Wait, there's 'MMMM, Bison' stuff? Okay, that I might buy.

denizsi

Arcane
Where is the damn new info on design? This is not a design update here, this is a beggar's update.

Is there a point to printed mags having exclusive info on nobody games (ie. not hyped up AAA games with budgets for PR and all that)?

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
At the bottom of the first page it says Release 2011...

I haven't been this interested in a game, for a very long time.

denizsi

Arcane
Does indeed look good.

A janitor may only bring a mop to your cause, but he'll boost morale.

That's gotta be a random example, not a stereotypical game unit "Janitor: +1 to shelter morale", right?

You'll only have direct control of your main character when fighting - if your prized companion (say, a lady commando) is paralysed with panic during a zombie ambush, she might flee or try to heal herself constantly. Panicking allies won't accept your orders

AI / combat scripts better be good or this will be a reloadfest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom