Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Dead games R.I.P. on GameSpot

errorcode

Liturgist
just an aside; another great game that died on the vine and no one ever heard of was DC Comics online. My project at Monolith met an untimely death when WB, our parent company, forgot where they put there testicles and ran screaming from the MMP market. The design and documentation for DC was sold to Sony, who basically told us that they had there own vision of how it should be designed *cough*EQ with capes*cough*

DC online was going to be, simply put, fucking awesome. No treadmilling, multiple gameplay paths, unique and varied trade skills (the Detective skill was damn cool), hell...we were tooling out how to do away with traditional leveling all together.

alright, hijack done. I'll go back to mourning quietly :)

errorcode

Liturgist
exactly why we killed leveling. It's a stupid concept for super heroes. you really don't get "Super-er" the more villians you take out.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
errorcode said:
exactly why we killed leveling. It's a stupid concept for super heroes. you really don't get "Super-er" the more villians you take out.

Well, Dick Grayson did, didn't he? He started off as Robin, then became Nightwing, and even filled in for Batman when Batman was injured. Superman did kind of level up a few times when you think about it. He didn't know he could fly until after he built the Fortress of Solitude. If the multiple TV series are canon, he's also learned a few new tricks along the way.

errorcode

Liturgist
using your Dick Greyson example, he never really got any more "Super". He always retained the core abilties of superior agility, heightened reflexes, and such. he may have expanded on those cores through training, but there was no "He reached level 10 and got the Bad-Ass-As-Batman trait"

here's a rough outline of what we were tossing around. the game content is divided into 10 ranks. rank 1 content is average everyday folks and 10 is the Superman level content.
Players would land in a rank dependent on the background and powers selected. Say you make a Anarky or Batman type character, you'd play at the rank 4 content level - spending most of your time trouncing hoodlums and crooks while occasionally taking on supervillians.

Players would earn points to spend on their powers and skills, choosing to either buy up into higher content levels by focusing on improving themselves (refining their control over current powers, etc) or broadening their power/skill base (unlocking latent, weaker powers, learning new skills).

Say you, as a batman-esque player, really enjoy the content level you're at. You'd put your points into broadening your skill base and exploring latent abilities that you may have. You'd be more powerful by having more options at your disposal instead of simply hitting harder.

On a different tact, say you've grown bored of the level 4 content and want to spend more time fighting super villains. You spend your points to make your abilities more powerful. Maybe you refine your control so your eye lasers no longer just burn through soft targets, but can now core steel. You've become a heavier hitter and move up to rank 5, where you spend less time doing vigilante work and more time battle super villians.

This is just a really rough example of what we were working on, but it gets the gist across.

Our goal was to avoid a system where Batman is a level 14 Rogue/16 fighter or a system where heroes all had to fall along a liner chart in terms of powers. Batman is just a man with genius level intelligence and in peak physical condition who uses alot of gadgets whereas superman can fly, fire of his heat vision, freeze things with his breath, travel at super speed, and is near invulnerable. But it can be argued that Supes and bats are near equals in how "effective" they are, because Supes is kinda a one trick pony while bats is near mind boggling versatile.

Our system matched that. It placed Superman at content rank 10, but since he had focused on refining his powers he really didn't have much breadth to what he could do. Batman was at rank 5 content, but had focused himself on mastering numerous martial arts, forensic science, physchology, criminology, chemistry, etc etc ad nauseum.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
That makes sense. I was thinking along similar lines where powers become more "focused" but you still retain the same powers after I first read your post. However, I was also thinking that both Marvel and DC comics do have examples of characters who actually gain additional powers over time - like Superman gaining his extra powers after doing the Fortress of Solitude thing.

I'm sure when Dick Grayson was first made a ward of Bruce Wayne, he had his arcobatic agility. However, I'd say that he did aquire things from Bruce Wayne over time like his ability to fight. Also, once removed from Batman's wing, pardon the pun, I'm guessing that Dick Grayson gained a little more expertise from being on his own.

Superman gained powers after he died, IIRC. He was split in to two Supermen who had additional powers, but were weaker than the combined Superman he was before he died. I don't know if he retained any of those after he merged back in to the Superman we all remember from the TV shows and movies, though.

Spazmo

Erudite
Another thing is that the writers of the comics will often take something a superhero can do and then find some tenuous way to have it solve a problem, like Flash's superspeed, which is surprisingly versatile or Green Lantern's ring, which can do any damn thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom