Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dawn of War: Soulstorm Demo Coming Soon

Jason

chasing a bee
<strong>[ Preview ]</strong>

<p>The demo for <strong><a href="http://investor.thq.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=96376&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1055637" target="_blank">Dawn of War: Soulstorm</a></strong> seems to be right around the corner since FilePlanet has a <a href="http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/dawnofwar/" target="_blank">teaser page</a> up. No word yet on what exactly is in the demo, but Gamespy's preview should give you an idea.</p><blockquote><p>After our initial setback, we began to learn tactics that slowly turned the tide. First, numbers are not the Dark Eldar's friend. Divide-and-conquer is going to be a key Dark Eldar strategy once the game ships. Their basic warrior unit is cheap and relatively disposable and makes a good last-ditch defender but shouldn't be relied on for attack. Instead we found that basic Space Marines were most vulnerable to a combination of packs of Warp Beasts and Wyches. Warp Beasts are demonic hounds that make great shock troops, they move fast and hit hard, but they also break morale pretty easily; when they do, they tend to attack their own side. Wyches, on the other hand, are heavy infantry that do morale as well as physical damage. The Wyches can break a Marine squad's cohesion and the Warp Beasts can do clean-up. </p></blockquote><p>Read the rest of the article <a href="http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/warhammer-40000-dawn-of-war-soulstorm/844911p1.html" target="_blank">here</a>.</p><p><em>Thanks to Hellraiser for the heads up.</em></p><p><strong>Update:</strong> As KC pointed out, the demo is <a href="http://games.internode.on.net/filelist.php?filedetails=14523" target="_blank">now available at Internode</a>. </p>

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
John Stalvern waited. The lights above him blinked and sparked out of the air. There were traitors in the base. He didn't see them, but had expected them now for years. His warnings to Cernel Joson were not listenend to and now it was too late. Far too late for now, anyway.
John was a Space Marine for fourteen years. When he was young he watched the spaceships and he said to dad "I want to be on the ships daddy."
Dad said "No! You will BE KILL BY TRAITORS' HANDS"
There was a time when he believed him. Then as he got oldered he stopped. But now in the space station base of the Ultramarines he knew there were traitors.
"This is Joson" the radio crackered. "You must fight the traitors!"
So John gotted his palsma rifle and blew up the wall.
"HE GOING TO KILL US" said the traitors
"I will shoot at him" said the obliterator and he fired the rocket missiles. John plasmaed at him and tried to blew him up. But then the ceiling fell and they were trapped and not able to kill.
"No! I must kill the traitors" he shouted
The radio said "No, John. You are the traitors"
And then John has multiple dicks and pink armor.

ricolikesrice

Arcane

any exciting infos about the single player yet ?

sisters and dark eldar dont interest me much as new races , neither do flying units.

...but if they expanded on Dark Crusades single player, that d be kickass, i.e. more equipment options for your commanders, new honour guard units, maybe some extra stategy features on the metamap etc. etc.

also have there been any hints about maybe a good map editor for once with which people can script SP mods / campaigns ?

there s soo many cool mods for DoW but really a shame there are no good singleplayer maps/campaigns out.....

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I just played the two missions. It seems pretty good. The voice overs for the new Space Marine commander are really bad, and he doesn't seem Space Mariney at all, he seems like the stock doofus commander who only makes mistakes, like from a bad movie, but that's just in the campaign I guess.

According to screenshots, the campaign mode is like Dark Crusade, only there are multiple planets and it's in general pretty much more complex.

The demo doesn't let you play Sisters, only Dark Eldar, who are cooler than I thought they would be. I'm gonna play it a bit more. The campaign mission (you get two missions) is actually kinda hard, but I think that's a combination of me not knowing which units are any good, ridiculous amounts of Space Marine enemies, and the usual DoW problems (small maps + large numbers of units and vehicles = annoying ass pathing problems).

The flying units are just units who can fly over anything, nothing really special. Kinda cool, though. SM get another version of the Land Speeder, Dark Eldar get a Batmobile flier...Orks I know get Fighta Bommerz.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Well I played it and it was fun but nothing more to be honest. Still you have to love the uberunit pimpmobile (sex slaves included):

relic00000.jpg

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Man, the new Space Marine commander is pretty bad. Kinda bad voice work, but in the demo campaign mission he is just a total cliché, he's like the incompetent officer from a 1970s monster movie who does nothing but make mistakes, blunders, and get his men killed while shouting "bullets don't hurt it WE MUST USE NUKES". SPACE MARINES DO NOT WORK THAT WAY.

Hellraiser

Arcane
The voice acting for Thule could have been better if you ask me, other than that he wasn't bad although a lot of people whine because he's not another Gabriel Angelos.

A lot better than governor militant Lukas "I now have a hole made by xenos commie energy weaponry in my chest" Alexander anyway. Fortunately tehy killed him off.

I hope they'll give the IG an old general type again. Sturn was great but Lukas Alexander makes me want to play orks just to see the warboss synch kill him.

Speaking of commanders I wonder if Gorgutz returns the game wouldn't be the same without him.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I've been playing a bit, looks like Warrior squad, as cool looking as their gun effects are, are entirely unnecessary.
Mandrake Squad, Dark Foundry, Generator -> Hellion Squad, Library -> Reaver Jetbikes

Suicidal

Arcane
The new Chaos commander looks like an another bloodthursty retard with rotten teeth (like Crull and Bale). Whatever happened to Eliphas, or Erithas, or whatever his name was - he was the best.

Hellraiser

Arcane
I have to agree Eliphas was the best CL. He didn't shout like a bloodthirsty moron all the time and his speeches when attacking strongholds were great.

BTW I really liked it when the Tau commander was saying "I've got a buzzing in my comms" after receiving a telepathic message from Eliphas and he outraged said "I am not static Alien!".

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
He goes "I am not static alien, I am-...alien? Are you listening?"

It just wouldn't be Dow without pointless squad types.
Well, I can imagine they would be good against Orks, who get Tier 1 antitank and you can't really use Mandrakes because Ork commanders detect stealth and the basic Ork unit is a fair CC unit. It kinda depends.
The new Chaos commander looks like an another bloodthursty retard with rotten teeth (like Crull and Bale).
AdeptusOrthodontus.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom