Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dawn of War 2: Retribution Beta

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
The Beta opens for anyone who has DoW2 and/or CR (on steam) today, if anyone is at all interested.

All races are included, GFWL is gone, and there are new game modes, maps, and units.

Anyone gonna try it out?

Multi-headed Cow

Gonna try it out, though I already have a preorder for campaign and last stand.

Since I never play against people, the MP component is only as good as the AI, which Relic is notoriously shit at. Still gonna give it a go and hope for the best though.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Great.
I had planned on completely forgetting about this non-strategy (placing units behind cover does not count as strategy IMHO) game, and now they bring my favourite race in (Imperial Guard). bah.

desocupado

Magister
Me, reject and jaedar played it a few times, we meet in the dow hamachi room.

The name/pass is on the "Who wants to play dow?" thread.

That said, I'm quite frustrated with the popamolicism of this game. You can't hold down points, so as soon as you capture a point, some jackass goes there to uncap, and you keep playing this game of popamole.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Popapoint? Capamole?

I got the beta, and I'd be willing to fail miserably against a fellow codexer for lulz. I never actually played DoW2 multiplayer (with the exception of last stand). So odds are I'll be fairly horrible. I agree with the sentiment that points are too easy to un-cap. and that's probably the main reason I got fed up with DoW2 multiplayer so quickly. Heck, one of the main reasons I played eldar in DoW1 was so I could easily plop down additional turrets around capture points to make them harder to uncap.

Once retribution hits, I think I'll play it like I did its 2 predecessors. Highest difficulty, co-op with a friend if possible. Unless they implement some sort of co-op spiel like last stand, I don't think I'll be playing any multiplayer after that.

Destroid

Arcane
Are you playing team games? Certainly it plays like that in 1v1, but with 2v2 and 3v3 the problem is much reduced as the number of points to contest remains the same.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Destroid said:
Are you playing team games? Certainly it plays like that in 1v1, but with 2v2 and 3v3 the problem is much reduced as the number of points to contest remains the same.
Yeah I typically play DoW2 in 3v3 and you have enough defensive troops to hold on to points.

I had planned on completely forgetting about this non-strategy (placing units behind cover does not count as strategy IMHO) game,
Yeah it's more of a tactical game.

Highest difficulty, co-op with a friend if possible.
HIGHEST? Geez, how did you stomach the bosses and their inflated HP?

Gonna try out this beta. All races is great for me, because I only have CR.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
No bolter bitches in the beta, no. :/

You do get a female inquisitor, complete with power armor boobs though.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This beta so far is pretty good.

The balance is not done yet, but it is very close for a 6 race game.

Multi-headed Cow

Ulminati said:
Unless they implement some sort of co-op spiel like last stand, I don't think I'll be playing any multiplayer after that.
Retribution's getting a new last stand map and a new last stand hero (IG). New map is supposedly harder than the old one, too. Dunno if the old one is also included, I would assume so but developers are horrible people so maybe not.

Destroid

Arcane
Eh, last stand gets really boring fast, it was extremely tedious to grind through the same easy as fuck 6 or 7 first levels for 10 minutes before it actually became challenging.

Multi-headed Cow

That's why apparently the first level of the new map is around the difficulty of 6 or 7 on the old map. Supposedly not going to have the 10 minute ass-drag at the start.

Multi-headed Cow

Played a couple comp stomps with a bro. AI is seemingly as bad as normal DoW2. IG, like all of DoW2, are reasonably fun but not as cool as in DoW1. Lord general seems like the best IG hero. IG have a lot of meme lines like IT'S DANGEROUS TO GO ALONE, TAKE THIS and the inquisitor saying FEAR AND SURPRISE ARE MY WEAPONS.

Soooooooooooo yeah. MP appears to be disappointing unbro it has been. Still looking forward to campaign and last stand.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Destroid said:
Are bloodcrushers and wraithguard still OP?
Bloodcrushers are still borderline although tier one seems to have gotten a buff overall, so rushing for them isn't as viable as it used to be. Wraithguard have been useless ever since they lost their Fire on the move, but they were OP when they had it so...

Destroid

Arcane
I don't know if its good or bad that Relic tamper with their game so drastically all the time. The Dawn of War you play now (even before this stand alone expansion) has very little in common with the original release.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Twinkle said:
Are you playing the Steam version? :M

The Steam version is the only one. Relic dropped GFWL completely, which is why they decided to release Retribution as a stand-alone instead of another expansion like Chaos Rising.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Interesting.
Do you get to play all races & stuff in multiplayer without having to own the other expansion & the original game (like it was in DoW1)?

I do own DoW2, but since it was pretty 'meh', I didn't bother to buy the first expansion.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
As far as I'm aware, you get access to all the races in MP if you just get retribution. It's a standalone game.

I thought the campaign in Chaos Rising was a lot more interesting than in the original DoW 2. But if you found the first one "meh", falling to chaos may not be enough incentive for you to play the expansion.

For retrib. I'm looking forward to the Ork and Eldar campaigns. I hope they're going to have actual, individual missions and not just an overmap with a bunch of skirmishes like in Dark Crusade. The only reason I stuck it out through the tedium of Dark Crusade was because I filled every map I took with a ton of D-canons at every spawn zone, making the subsequent defense missions last all of 10 seconds while I blasted the enemy base to smithereens

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Played one game on MP so far and iit was... okay... for an RTS. Gonna play more though. I've played with fucking laggers so my enjoyment was limited.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom