Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News David Gaider's reaction to Rock, Paper, Shotgun preview

aries202

Erudite
Look guys, I don't mind the change in marketing direction, (as much), I don't mind that the game might bea gore and blood fest (there's some sort of gore toggle after all) or that is romances that lead to sex or love scenes.

I have objected to, and will still object to the story element in this game. My big concern is that is not an RPG game, but some sort of RTS game masked as an RPG game. We're playing a Grey Warden whose job is to raise the army to combat (and get rid of?) of the Darkspawn, and the Blight.

Grey Wardens seem to be portraited as some sort of elite military unit getting the job done - no matter what. It seems to me that Bioware has been stucck in a formulaic story mod for a bit now - at least since Mass Effect's 1 release.

Couldn't we please get something other than 'the ancient evil plagues the land - and you must stop it.'
There was a tim were this approach, of course, was very refreshing; now it it is, however, going to be as stale as the plot for too many games that reads 'it is written - there for you must be the hero'.

deuxhero

Arcane
bhlaab said:
Okay so it's not just "give her a book and then she fucks you"

It's more along the lines of:
-find her lost ruby gem
-when she asks you if you like dogs say "yes"
-get her compliment stat above 47
-give her a Mango Fruit at least once a day
-give her a book
-she fucks you

Harvest Moon?

bhlaab

Erudite
deuxhero said:
bhlaab said:
Okay so it's not just "give her a book and then she fucks you"

-find her lost ruby gem
-give her a book
-she fucks you

Harvest Moon?

harvest moon, but grittier

Monolith

Prophet
obediah said:
aries202 said:
His post at rpgwatch. com is not so much taking issue with the RPS preview of the game, but seems more to be taking issue with the marketing direction that's been taking recently.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

Gaider is just playing his street cred to string along the old school fans until release. DA will be a blood pumping thrill-ride as you fuck and kill your way through the grittiest and most xxxtreme generic fantasy world you can build with mild nudity, soap opera sex scenes, profanity, and ultraviolence. That is the game Bio/EA thinks 3-5 million console owners want, and that is the game they will get.

Gaider's role is to keep the few hundred thousand old school people unhappy about this change of direction still interested enough to buy the game.

It's not a complicated or new concept. Whenever you want to rape a franchise, setting, or brand name, you start off very low key. Small announcements and forum posts targeted towards the old fan base. The "we know you've been waiting a long time .. back to roots ... tribute to the fans ..." quotes, and probably a vague warning about a "few, small, necessary changes to modernize that will in no way compromise the soul of the original".

These continue for a while to build up enthusiasm in the core audience, and then the main marketing push happens and the shit starts flowing. But the smart developers keep a low key channel open with the old timers and keep them as happy as possible.
Quoted for hitting the nail on the spot and telling it how it is.

kris

Arcane
Hümmelgümpf said:
2. C&C. Hasn't been spotted in a Bio game thus far.

That is not true. They always had this in their games and some pretty good ones. It is just that they don't go fully with it into their game design. But there sure is some good instances of C&C here and there.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Gaider's role is to keep the few hundred thousand old school people unhappy about this change of direction still interested enough to buy the game.

This has always been his role. I actually think that his alias as Bio writer/dev is nothing more than a title created to conceal his true purpose of employment at Bio. That of crowd/pleaser- appeaser. I even made fun of this at my first posts here, saying to him that if he would spent more time working and less trying to appease the fans at the forums, the game wouldn't have been delayed that much. You know he would always be the first to come out when the crowd was getting impatient in those dark days before the new shit and all the hype, when there wasn't much revealed about the game, and people questioned if it was developed at all. Gaider was always there to offer a comforting hand of re-assurance, occasionally throwing a bone or two when he was in the mood.

Unfortunately for them, all those fanboys lining at Bio's forums back in those days, ready to sacrifice their anal virginity for a bit of DA info, will now have to live knowing that their game was designed and aimed all along for people who only heard of it about six months prior to its conso... eeh multi-platform release.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
kris said:
Hümmelgümpf said:
2. C&C. Hasn't been spotted in a Bio game thus far.

That is not true. They always had this in their games and some pretty good ones. It is just that they don't go fully with it into their game design. But there sure is some good instances of C&C here and there.

Like what?

The Witcher had better C&C then i have ever seen in any resent bioware games.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah, like choose to invest in The Witcher's Intelligence Ability and get more dialogue options with consequences, or increase his Bluff or Diplomacy skills, opening new paths through situations.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Jasede said:
Yeah, like choose to invest in The Witcher's Intelligence Ability and get more dialogue options with consequences, or increase his Bluff or Diplomacy skills, opening new paths through situations.

Dood the game was a ACTION rpg and in every interview and show case they went out of there way to tell people it was a ACTION RPG!!!

Now if you are to mentali challenged to understand the difference between a Action rpg and Crpg then maybe you should grab your head and jam it back your ass becaus that seem to be where it belongs.

gothfox

Liturgist
bhlaab said:
-find her lost ruby gem
-give her a book
-she fucks you

My only complaint is how realistic it is. Breaks immershun in mah fantazy escapism world.

I don't see the problem here. If an adventurer keeps finding me lost artifacts and having pleasing conversations with him, I'd fuck him.

Srsly, the two women (morrigan and the other one that talks with you the next morning) dont need to represent every women out there. Maybe you are just traveling with a materialistic whore and a emotional train wreck. "Love doesn't work that way" doesn't really apply, don't you know girls who are in love with some dipshit for some stupid reason? Like, "I like the way he does stupid shit"

gothfox

Liturgist
Srsly, the two women (morrigan and the other one that talks with you the next morning) dont need to represent every women out there. Maybe you are just traveling with a materialistic whore and a emotional train wreck.

Like there are any other kinds of women? THIS IS TEH NEW SHIT.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
You all suck. Dragon Age is going to rock.

It's got Dragons!

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Clockwork Knight said:
I don't see the problem here. If an adventurer keeps finding me lost artifacts and having pleasing conversations with him, I'd fuck him.

But does he want to fuck you?

Srsly, the two women (morrigan and the other one that talks with you the next morning) dont need to represent every women out there. Maybe you are just traveling with a materialistic whore and a emotional train wreck.

Except every single one of Bioware's female NPCs are emotional trainwrecks or at the very least emotionally dependent on the PC.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
You guys are stupid. Love doesn't have to make sense.
MELOVE.jpg

denizsi

Arcane
I must admit, I found the romance dialogue with the male biotic, Kaiden Alenko, to be quite proper. Not too cheesy. Not too out of place. Well executed. I didn't pursue it to the end, if there was an end to be pursued, though.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I think they employed different writers for different romance. But honestly wtf. All the three responses lead to the same shit. This is standard 'fake choice' that we're treated to in most Bio games.

obediah

Erudite
DarkUnderlord said:
You all suck. Dragon Age is going to rock.

It's got Dragons!

But, can I fuck them? And do they have big ole titties?

Jaime Lannister said:
You can't choose whether to have sex with the asari consort, she essentially rapes you.

Another reason why I think the most important lost feature from older games is the ability to kill anyone, anytime. Oh gods - that character is walking towards me like he's going to say something - quickly, Finger of Death his sorry asshole!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
CrimsonAngel said:
Jasede said:

ACTION rpg ... ACTION RPG!!! ... Action rpg ... not a CRPG

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The Witcher had better C&C then i have ever seen in any resent bioware games."

No. Further more, all BIO games - even BG - have C&C. Not FO levels of it, but it's there. To say it isn't is flat out lying.

And, oh guys, romance and love is cheesy. Espicially in RL. Have you ever seen a romantic couple in RL? It's either baby speak or full on rage. R00fles!

"You can't choose whether to have sex with the asari consort, she essentially rapes you."

Lie. There is always a choice. Kinda funny you say that since I didn't romance her. R00fles!

Volourn said:
And, oh guys, romance and love is cheesy. Espicially in RL. Have you ever seen a romantic couple in RL? It's either baby speak or full on rage. R00fles!

I'd say it's more horrible than cheesy. Ever see a young woman pop a pustule from her lover's face?

MetalCraze

Arcane
RK47 said:
You guys are stupid. Love doesn't have to make sense.
MELOVE.jpg

Hahaha I almost forgot that you are pretty much forced to fuck her and have no other choice as all those options lead to the exactly same outcome

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom