Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News David Gaider leaves BioWare

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well the thing is that Gaider is a good designer but a bad writer.

Skilled and talented people playing roles that they are shitty at :lesigh: (coughGeorgecoughLucascough)

I'll take your word for it as I've only heard about the horrendous stuff about his writing.

And I'm also drunk enough to not be able to make a coherent point or query about a subject I don't really care about. :P

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity

Skilled and talented people playing roles that they are shitty at :lesigh: (coughGeorgecoughLucascough)

I'll take your word for it as I've only heard about the horrendous stuff about his writing.

And I'm also drunk enough to not be able to make a coherent point or query about a subject I don't really care about. :P
Yeah he made some really good mods for BG2.

Edit: Hardcore combat/dungeon mods. Not story ones.

Huh. Also he apparently wrote HK47, Jolee, and Carth. Carth obviously very ehhhh but Jolee and HK47 were great. But he wasn't lead or story writer or anything, just wrote the specific characters.

After that he became lead writer for Bioware and it all went downhill.

BTW, another funny fact is that Hepler wrote the Smuggler storyline for SWTOR, which was actually a pretty good storyline. (Some of the class storylines in SWTOR were actually decent because they had to outsource non-Bioware writers to fill them in)
I suppose Chris Avellone will assume his role in Bioware and he will produce the next InXile Ip
Isn't it more likely that he'll stick with Larian?

Black

Arcane
Maybe he got into a fight with the BioWare resident anti-white guy :)
This sad little fuck?
ld4N3nV.png

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
"Hey "Gay"dar, write any romances for the new IP today?"

"Oh "Gay"duh, did you submit that new tranny dialogue yet?"

"Oh "Gay"derp, is that marrying an animal script written yet?"

Gaider: "I cry evry teim. I leave noa"

Zep--

DeepOcean

Arcane
Great, now Feargus can have Gaider as a stretch goal for PoE 2 and we get to know how big Durance's staff is.

Septaryeth

Augur
Or perhaps not. Does anybody really care?

Personally I do think he believes in what he wrote, to the point where he would go to Bioware Social Network to defend it.
Then again, arguing then banning players complaining about "retcon" is already pretty low, but to get butthurt from all the criticism and ragequit the official forum of his own game sets another record.

"Oh "Gay"derp, is that marrying an animal script written yet?"

aGCT17.jpg

by Jools

Shadenuat

Arcane
Huh. Also he apparently wrote HK47, Jolee, and Carth.
He is actually also not a bad writer. He also made the better add-on to NWN1 which main campaign was shit, and I think Morrigan, Alistair and Shale in DA:O - and these are characters who have the most C&C and their stories tie into game world the strongest.
Also from all AAA developers I think he has most posts on the 'dex?

I always thought he is competent at writing and design, and it's just studio politics that might have given him bad rep. Or broke his mind and made him shitpost on his own company forums. Either way if he'd just write us modules like HoU and characters like Jolee, in games that would benefit from his quirky writing, I don't think anyone would be unhappy about that.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
I saw it as the writing was on the wall for Gaider as soon as he announced he was leaving his post as a lead writer on Dragon Age. Everybody in corporate denies this, but DA:I was a considerable flop.

The people who worked on DA:I are moving to other projects and the future of the DA franchise is unclear. He wasn't going to be a lead-writer on anything else at Bioware, so there's only one way for him: out. Do something else.

DA:O was the success that called for corporate to order a sequel, give it an awesome button and embrace the consoles. DA:I was released years later and there's no word on any sequel or plans to make one.

Perhaps a reboot is planned, but either way, Gaider would never be involved. I don't know if I can blame him completely for the fuck-up DAI and DA2 were, but I will give him a fair share, because as stupid and pathetic as those were as *games* they also sucked dick storywise. And that part is on Gaider.

I can't even say I'm happy to see him gone, because as talentless a hack as he was as an RPG writer, he didn't hire himself. Bioware is still Bioware.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
DA:O was the success that called for corporate to order a sequel, give it an awesome button and embrace the consoles. DA:I was released years later and there's no word on any sequel or plans to make one.

Gaider one of the two best writers Bioware ever had. In a perverse way Dragon Age: Inquisition showcases his abilities because he had the knowledge and expertise to cynically exploit the Tumblr crowd. That's also a reflection of the talent of the writers beneath him, though.

I'm not sure why people still say DAII was a badly written game, when it was in fact a fairly well written visual novel, better than almost all the stuff the Japanese write. Unlike Origins, the writing didn't buttress up the RPG systems because there weren't any systems to be boosted.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Gaider was alright, and his writing / design was often pretty enjoyable. He clearly has a passion for RPGs and he's kept at it. Although half the Codex still plays Bioware games for some reason, it's probably a good thing that he's no longer there, opening up the slimmest of chances that his next project might be interesting.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
This seems like a good time to ask if anyone wants to buy a copy of The Stolen Throne? Mint condition and unread. Could potentially be signed, depending if I can find a copy of Gaider's signature. If no offers then I might have to read it (or at least ask someone to post a brief synopsis).

Perkel

Arcane
After fishishing The Witcher 3 he said to himself:
" What is this ? How could i stray from path of good ? I am corrupted ! UnWORTHY ! "
He took his pen broke it on his knee hissing loudly, put on his fedora and looked at the door saying this:
" I will make it right !, GODS, I SWEAR IT ! "
Then he looked at his mailbox and started to type: obsidi...@.. , lar... cdp...

No one heard his voice, no one saw him laughing in silence, staring at his monitor,
only his broken pen lying it its own dark blood.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom