Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview David Gaider Interview

Are the people responsible for one game even involved with the others? You make it sound like they're all in one room shouting at each other.

tunguska

Liturgist
Volourn, are you drunk? You seem to be having some problems with the keys. Gaider played a very big role in making BG2 the game that it was. Whether you love it or hate it, he worked on a lot of the design. That much I know. And, yeah. I think it may have been his first game there. Didn't you read the article? Based on polls it seems that BG2 is the Codex's favorite Bioware game. So I think it's fair to refer to Gaider as being core to whatever is good about Bioware. Of course after Dragon Age I no longer view him as a living god. I have even taken down my candled altar with his photo. What is that modern expression? "I am disappoint"? Still, Bioware is no BIS. I think the stars of the operation are less clear. Maybe their games are more of a team effort.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"This is probably why we keep getting the same type of story and the same characters in almost every Bioware game"

Lie. You need to stretch things out and make dumb comaprisions to try to say the story and characters are all the 'same'.

"Volourn, are you drunk? You seem to be having some problems with the keys. Gaider played a very big role in making BG2 the game that it was."

Are you fuckin' idiot? I never calimed he wasn't a big aprt of BG2, dumbass. I claimed he wasn't a big part of BG1 - the game that put BIO on the map. FFS Pay attention to what you disagreeing with.

"So I think it's fair to refer to Gaider as being core to whatever is good about Bioware. Of course after Dragon Age I no longer view him as a living god. I have even taken down my candled altar with his photo. What is that modern expression? "I am disappoint"? Still, Bioware is no BIS. I think the stars of the operation are less clear. Maybe their games are more of a team effort."

The docs are core. Gaider is just one of the team. He is only highly fcoused on because he spams on the internet. It's not like, say, Troika, where you have the Big Three and The Big three are the Omegas who have their hands in all the pie. When i think core, I think of the people who make decisions in what kind of games to make, and how to make them. Gaider takes orders from the docs. he does what they tell him to do. Period.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Castanova said:
So basically David Gaider comes up with "A GREAT EVIL HAS AWOKEN" and then a few of his subordinates come up with "A GREAT EVIL HAS AWOKEN IN THEDAR"
It's Thedas.

Fun fact: THE Dragon Age Setting.

We will never be sure it was intentional, but I bet it was.

tunguska

Liturgist
So you are saying that the docs are involved with the day to day design decisions? My understanding was that that wasn't the case. Or if they are it would be to just yay or nay ideas that other people (the designers) come up with.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Sceptic said:
Castanova said:
So basically David Gaider comes up with "A GREAT EVIL HAS AWOKEN" and then a few of his subordinates come up with "A GREAT EVIL HAS AWOKEN IN THEDAR"
It's Thedas.

Fun fact: THE Dragon Age Setting.

We will never be sure it was intentional, but I bet it was.
It was. They said so in an interview.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"So you are saying that the docs are involved with the day to day design decisions? My understanding was that that wasn't the case. Or if they are it would be to just yay or nay ideas that other people (the designers) come up with."

I doubt the docs do any nitty gritty stuff in the trenches or even any of the major work but they go over the wor and decide yay or nay. They also (dpeending how EA ties in) also are the ones who decide the direction BIo goes in (good or bad) and choose their games.

Every game BIO has made is 100% on the docs' shoulders.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Shannow said:
Now I don't know what's worse, that it was intentional after all or that they came out and said it. :?

Also, his thoughts on the limitations of what you can show in a game, coming from a guy who was a writer on so many games, is strange. Games' unique mixture of audiovisual AND text means there is virtually NOTHING you can't show. Unless by "show" he means that everything HAS to be graphic, which would explain much.

Achilles

Arcane
Volourn said:

If that is true, then why did you get angry when I told you that the core Bioware people are biting off more than they can chew?

Sceptic said:
Shannow said:
Now I don't know what's worse, that it was intentional after all or that they came out and said it. :?

Eh, does it really matter? It's just a name.

"There was this beta-tester named Lawrence Szydlowski, which is obviously not a very good name for a generic fantasy setting of Daggerfall. His online nickname was Smaug, and it was not very good either, since Smaug is widely known. His sign-off, though, was Larry, "also known as the Old Smaug himself." That spells out A.K.A.T.O.S.H., so Akatosh became the name of the dragon god of time."

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Volourn said:
"So you are saying that the docs are involved with the day to day design decisions? My understanding was that that wasn't the case. Or if they are it would be to just yay or nay ideas that other people (the designers) come up with."

I doubt the docs do any nitty gritty stuff in the trenches or even any of the major work but they go over the wor and decide yay or nay. They also (dpeending how EA ties in) also are the ones who decide the direction BIo goes in (good or bad) and choose their games.

Not any longer. The docs are busy playing poker/giving interviews.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom